Music in cruisers

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
bacterie
Rookie Member

Music in cruisers

Postby bacterie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:16 pm

I thought this was a stupid question before my friend told me he went on a ride along and he literally "sang-along" with the RCMP constable the whole time!! He told me the officer had an ipod in and was jamming out.

Is this allowed? Common? Frowned upon? Good idea?

Also: What song would you listen to in YOUR cruiser? (In before "Bad boys")

I'd probably listen to the Rocky theme song :boxer: :boxer: :boxer:
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Re: Music in cruisers

Postby Jim Street » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:40 pm

I don't know anyone who hooks their Ipod up to the cruiser car.

From what I've seen they're only ever outfitted with AM/FM radio so that's all that gets listened to. If some good songs come on, it'll get turned up but truthfully sometimes it has to be turned off because of the dispatching going non stop.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:35 pm

I just listen to FM. Whenever I got in the car after my old Cpl. I had to listen to CJOB AM cranked out upon ignition.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

fenceline
Seasoned Member

Postby fenceline » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:39 pm

One of the newer SUV in our District had a free trial XM radio subscription straight from the dealership. Was some thing they were doing with the model for all their sales. It was the most popular car for a while.

Last week two guys on my line had a mix CD complete with the Dukes of Hazzard, Star Wars, A-Team... was funny as all hell. :alright:
Patch Trader? Go to My Patch Page

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

red_coat
Sage Member

Postby red_coat » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:44 pm

We have 4 radio stations here. one is classic rock that repeats the same songs over and over and over...., one is an AM country/talk radio, the other is AM christian music, and the last is CBC radio one.

Since we usually drive the same cruiser every shift, a coworker of mine on the opposite shift who drives the same car put his satellite radio in the car. Makes for a better shift patrolling.

mcdonaja
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby mcdonaja » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:35 pm

WHAT!! They have radio's in the cruisers now??! WTF! When did that happen? Guess I can dispose of my trusty "Radio Shack" AM FM transistor radio that's been hanging off my dash pad all of these years.
"Cops solve problems. Don't be a problem and you won't get solved."
Freedom Friday - Jan 06 2012 - 32 years 1 month

Parking159

Postby Parking159 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:00 am

Casey Jones wrote:i bring my ipod in the car. i've got an FM transmitter i plug into the ipod and into the spare lighter jacks under the MDT and i'm good to go.

I do the same thing with my iPhone but if I'm on nights I'm usually listening to Coast to Coast AM.
Convincing a wise man is easy. Reasoning with a fool is difficult.

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:24 am

red_coat wrote:We have 4 radio stations here. one is classic rock that repeats the same songs over and over and over...., one is an AM country/talk radio, the other is AM christian music, and the last is CBC radio one.

Since we usually drive the same cruiser every shift, a coworker of mine on the opposite shift who drives the same car put his satellite radio in the car. Makes for a better shift patrolling.

Wow!!... consider yourself lucky!

All we have is CBC radio one North Quebec, and the regional radio station that has good tunes on on the thu fri sat night shifts, that are busy, so we don't have time to listen to the music..... ironic much?
POLICE OFFICER

Stad
Rookie Member

Postby Stad » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:51 am

Some of you guys need to invest in a fm transmitter lol I would much rather plug in my iPod for a shift and have it playing quietly in the background rather then having CBC radio on :banghead:

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:01 am

Stad wrote:Some of you guys need to invest in a fm transmitter lol I would much rather plug in my iPod for a shift and have it playing quietly in the background rather then having CBC radio on :banghead:

We don't have laptops in the trucks, so a good part of the shifts are spend at the station typing up files anyway, and when we are on the road, we are pretty much always paired up anyway. As far as having to hear dispatched call, I don't really have to worry about that, since I am my own dispatcher when I am working. The calls come in straight onto our portable and truck radios.
POLICE OFFICER

Minimum Wage Warrior
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Minimum Wage Warrior » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:02 am

I used satellite radio until the radio broke. I have to get out and get a new one while my subscription is still good. It's a fairly easy setup and works when your out where the one crappy easy rock station doesn't broadcast.

It makes those 3am drives up the desolate highway a little less lonely.

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:40 am

Stad wrote:Some of you guys need to invest in a fm transmitter lol I would much rather plug in my iPod for a shift and have it playing quietly in the background rather then having CBC radio on :banghead:

:aye:
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"