RCMP auxiliary PC ?

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: RCMP auxiliary PC ?

Postby Apollo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:55 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:I wouldn't "thumbs up" that. The training back at your service is probably a lot more comfy than being sent to OPC for x number of days.

CO

Yea especially the not getting paid thing would really hurt.

van_isle_mountie
Rookie Member

Postby van_isle_mountie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:02 pm

Jim Street wrote:
FordAve wrote:Where are auxiliaries being used to replace regular members? The last time I looked, just about every police force in Canada is recruiting.

Just like Auxiliaries, Community Safety Officers will be doing the duties that regulars don't have the time to do.

I assume you're talking about the CSO position in BC. It sounds to me like it was created as a replacement for regular officers. (it had been discussed in the LEO forum)

Maybe some of the things that they expect regular members to do shouldn't have to be done, so they don't need to hire anyone. There's far too much emphasis on being community oriented and warm and fuzzy. If the public is so worried about their community being short of cops, then hire more of them.

I view auxiliaries as dedicated people from their communities who assist regular officers, this debate has been beaten to death regarding arming them, what their duties entail and what their uniforms look like. But I don't agree with allowing them to be paired up together in a marked car, or alone anywhere in one.

Well, at my detachment (which will remained unnamed) where I am an RM, this is being done....nobody likes or agrees with it, but aux's are being put in a marked PC and sent out on their own to do so called 'checks' on people in high crime areas. Obviously, goes without saying that this is a liability issue just waiting to happen. Now, RM's are stuck very close by to these people waiting in the weeds so when something happens (which it will), a real member is nearby to get them out of the situation they are in. It's ridiculous, but at the end of the day its not my rear that will be chewed when some aux gets shanked, shot, etc. I can't believe that the aux's volunteer for this....

Delley

Postby Delley » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:27 pm

There is a huge discrepancy in the Training provided by each Div. In BC I took a 180 hr program over 6 months whereas in Alberta its a weekend course. That is a huge difference.

North of 60
Veteran Member

Postby North of 60 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:47 pm

van_isle_mountie wrote:
Well, at my detachment (which will remained unnamed) where I am an RM, this is being done....nobody likes or agrees with it, but aux's are being put in a marked PC and sent out on their own to do so called 'checks' on people in high crime areas. Obviously, goes without saying that this is a liability issue just waiting to happen. Now, RM's are stuck very close by to these people waiting in the weeds so when something happens (which it will), a real member is nearby to get them out of the situation they are in. It's ridiculous, but at the end of the day its not my rear that will be chewed when some aux gets shanked, shot, etc. I can't believe that the aux's volunteer for this....

A disaster waiting to happen...Does it ever end?

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:23 pm

I see many talking about their concern about Auxiliaries getting shot or stabbed... Last night in northwest Toronto, four people sitting in a Country Style Donut shop where shot with a Shot Gun... They were not Auxiliaries, just members of the general public... Point is, when it's your time, it's your time, it doesn't matter if you are "Joe Blow Citizen", an Auxiliary, or even a Police Officer.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:29 pm

Respond Wayne wrote:I see many talking about their concern about Auxiliaries getting shot or stabbed... Last night in northwest Toronto, four people sitting in a Country Style Donut shop where shot with a Shot Gun... They were not Auxiliaries, just members of the general public... Point is, when it's your time, it's your time, it doesn't matter if you are "Joe Blow Citizen", an Auxiliary, or even a Police Officer.

A bit naive. When you put the badge on, you're seen as part of the "system" and will be automatically hated by many and a target to others. As well, people will flock to you for help which could put you in dangerous situations. You may also end up being seen as the only thing standing between a criminal and his score he was planning or just finished unknowingly to you.

CO

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:43 pm

I've been part of the "system" for many years now, both as a Volunteer and a Tow Truck Driver... Sometimes I feel like an Information Booth... I've told many tales on here about being approached by people that require assistance, and becoming involved in situations that could have ended very badly if I had not become involved... I stand by my comment, but I do understand what you are saying.
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:12 pm

I've been part of the "system" for many years now, both as a Volunteer and a Tow Truck Driver...

Sigh... :roll:

CO

FordAve
Rookie Member

Postby FordAve » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:50 pm

Jim Street wrote:
I assume you're talking about the CSO position in BC. It sounds to me like it was created as a replacement for regular officers. (it had been discussed in the LEO forum)

Maybe some of the things that they expect regular members to do shouldn't have to be done, so they don't need to hire anyone. There's far too much emphasis on being community oriented and warm and fuzzy. If the public is so worried about their community being short of cops, then hire more of them.

I view auxiliaries as dedicated people from their communities who assist regular officers, this debate has been beaten to death regarding arming them, what their duties entail and what their uniforms look like. But I don't agree with allowing them to be paired up together in a marked car, or alone anywhere in one.

Lets face it Police Officers are doing too much work, that can be done by others. Having non-police officers doing some of this work would free up more officers, which would mean more police officers on the road.

As for hiring more police, it sure would be nice but the current labour market may make it hard and also governments don't have bottomless pits of money.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstien

"Your problem is low self-esteem. It's very common among losers."

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:00 pm

It still doesn't mean there should be auxiliaries/civilians out there in uniforms and unarmed doing jobs that police do, especially without a regular PO present.

It's not a knock on how dedicated an aux is, it's reality. Auxiliaries and specials don't have full training and aren't armed, meaning they shouldn't be represented as a PO or be in the uniform or marked CC without having a regular officer with them.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:32 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:
I've been part of the "system" for many years now, both as a Volunteer and a Tow Truck Driver...

CO

OntarioFiveOh wrote:No offense Wayne, but being part of "Respond" or whatever it's called and driving a tow truck definitely do not make you a part of the system. When you are a sworn member, then you'll be part of the system. Anything else doesn't qualify you as being part of us.

This "system" you speak of... it's the Solar System right? :ponder:

Never said I was "part of you"... the "system" which I interpret as "Public Service"...
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:39 pm

I thought we were discussing this really cool Dodge Charger?

VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:12 am

Respond Wayne wrote:
CourtOfficer wrote:

CO

OntarioFiveOh wrote:No offense Wayne, but being part of "Respond" or whatever it's called and driving a tow truck definitely do not make you a part of the system. When you are a sworn member, then you'll be part of the system. Anything else doesn't qualify you as being part of us.

This "system" you speak of... it's the Solar System right? :ponder:

Never said I was "part of you"... the "system" which I interpret as "Public Service"...

The system they refer to is otherwise known as "the man" and bad people hate "the man".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man
"The Man" does not usually refer to a specific individual, but instead to the government, leaders of large corporations, and other authority figures in general, such as the police....
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:17 am

OPPAux wrote:
Jim Street wrote:It still doesn't mean there should be auxiliaries/civilians out there in uniforms and unarmed doing jobs that police do, especially without a regular PO present.

It's not a knock on how dedicated an aux is, it's reality. Auxiliaries and specials don't have full training and aren't armed, meaning they shouldn't be represented as a PO or be in the uniform or marked CC without having a regular officer with them.

:aye:

Specials in Ontario have been arresting people unarmed for many years. Nothing new in this part of the country.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:06 am

That may be so, but I am referring to anyone representing themselves as POLICE. Even if you have "Auxiliary" written on a shoulder flash and a marked cruiser car, does the public really know the difference? There are so many factors there regarding officer safety.

Just because things have "always been done that way" doesn't make them the right thing to do. Admittedly, I don't know where the specials in Ontario do their arresting, so I need some clarification there.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.