RCMP auxiliary PC ?

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
Major Wade

Re: RCMP auxiliary PC ?

Postby Major Wade » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:01 pm

:angel:

In My World it is Better to Ask For Permission, Rather than ask for Forgiveness.

dusty
Grand Poobah

Postby dusty » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:37 pm

An auxiliary can just as easily be hurt or killed riding with a regular member. All of the RCMP auxiliaries that have been in killed in the line of duty, were killed in MVA's while riding with a regular member. Auxiliaries sign up knowing very well that they are going to face risks.

They aren't the only ones facing risks if they are out working on the road without the presence of a police officer. The public is at a much greater risk if an unarmed aux can't get out of the police car to stop a person using a "insert weapon here".

Your first post was already answered, so I won't repeat what others have said. Police officers attend their training and carry all use of force options for a reason for their safety and the public's safety. Auxialiary's working solo or in pairs in the place of a police officer present a huge risk to both.
I personally did it for the money and the glory... my disappointment was tempered by the fact that I got a gun and a fast car-VanB

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:42 pm

Who said the Auxiliary had to get out of the Cruiser? :smirk:

*Not that the Cruiser was being driven by an Auxiliary, I'm just saying...*
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

FordAve
Rookie Member

Postby FordAve » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:41 pm

dusty wrote:
They aren't the only ones facing risks if they are out working on the road without the presence of a police officer. The public is at a much greater risk if an unarmed aux can't get out of the police car to stop a person using a "insert weapon here".

Your first post was already answered, so I won't repeat what others have said. Police officers attend their training and carry all use of force options for a reason for their safety and the public's safety. Auxialiary's working solo or in pairs in the place of a police officer present a huge risk to both.

So what are you saying, there should not be auxiliaries, security gaurds, special constables, etc? I guess all of these people are putting police officers and the public at risk? Or should they all be armed? Or should all of these roles be filled by Police Officers?

My guess is you won't be too happy with the Community Safety Officer position that is starting this summer either. Again its an un-armed position and they aren't being trained at Depot.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstien

"Your problem is low self-esteem. It's very common among losers."

NSAUX
Rookie Member

Postby NSAUX » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:47 pm

:swords:

D.Berg
Rookie Member

Postby D.Berg » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:43 pm

RCMP policy allows for the use of maked PC's by Auxiliary members to perform community policing duties and to provide traffic control for special events. (hence, the reason for full light package). As we all know there is a shortage of police vehicles at any detachment across the country. Therefore, having a dedicated vehicle or vehicles for use by Auxiliary members makes great sense. They are able to perform their duties as required without having to tie up a general duty vehicle.
Auxiliary members are not carrying out general duty patrols or doing first response calls. They are not placing themselves at risk and are not placing other members at risk. Please note that Auxiliary members are highly trained and dedicated members of the community taking on tasks that otherwise would not be done.
I can only speak for B.C but Auxiliary members here would only respond to a first responce call for service if they were with a regular member. Observe and report functions and duties can be accomplished with two Auxiliary members in a vehicle. If there is a need to call upon the services of these Auxiliary members while on the road they would then join up with a regular member and fall under the direct supervison of that regular member. Its time for everyone to put their ego's back in their pockets. We are not here to do your jobs for you, just make things easier for you so that you can get down to doing real police work and not have to worry about the safety fairs, parades etc.
signed - A dedicated B.C Auxiliary RCMP member. Remember "Be careful out there"

Major Wade

Postby Major Wade » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:30 pm

D.Berg wrote:RCMP policy allows for the use of maked PC's by Auxiliary members to perform community policing duties and to provide traffic control for special events. (hence, the reason for full light package). As we all know there is a shortage of police vehicles at any detachment across the country. Therefore, having a dedicated vehicle or vehicles for use by Auxiliary members makes great sense. They are able to perform their duties as required without having to tie up a general duty vehicle.
Auxiliary members are not carrying out general duty patrols or doing first response calls. They are not placing themselves at risk and are not placing other members at risk. Please note that Auxiliary members are highly trained and dedicated members of the community taking on tasks that otherwise would not be done.
I can only speak for B.C but Auxiliary members here would only respond to a first responce call for service if they were with a regular member. Observe and report functions and duties can be accomplished with two Auxiliary members in a vehicle. If there is a need to call upon the services of these Auxiliary members while on the road they would then join up with a regular member and fall under the direct supervison of that regular member. Its time for everyone to put their ego's back in their pockets. We are not here to do your jobs for you, just make things easier for you so that you can get down to doing real police work and not have to worry about the safety fairs, parades etc.
signed - A dedicated B.C Auxiliary RCMP member. Remember "Be careful out there"

:aye: :aye:

In My World it is Better to Ask For Permission, Rather than ask for Forgiveness.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:30 pm

FordAve wrote:So what are you saying, there should not be auxiliaries, security gaurds, special constables, etc? I guess all of these people are putting police officers and the public at risk? Or should they all be armed? Or should all of these roles be filled by Police Officers?

My guess is you won't be too happy with the Community Safety Officer position that is starting this summer either. Again its an un-armed position and they aren't being trained at Depot.

No one is saying there shouldn't be Auxiliaries or S/Cst's and don't get them confused with security guards either, they aren't the same.

I think the consensus is that there are instances where the unarmed specials or auxiliaries are being used in place of regular officers where they shouldn't be. Just because a "Community Safety Officer" position is created and they're unarmed, doesn't make it smart or a good idea.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:06 am

D.Berg wrote:Please note that Auxiliary members are highly trained and dedicated members of the community taking on tasks that otherwise would not be done.

Dedicated? Absolutely. Valuable? You bet. Highly trained? Not so much.
:wave:

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:18 am

th wrote:
D.Berg wrote:Please note that Auxiliary members are highly trained and dedicated members of the community taking on tasks that otherwise would not be done.

It has already been mentioned that some Auxiliary members receieve more training than others, depending upon which region you are in... I would think that they would all get the same training, but apparently that is not the case (so we have been told in this thread)... I agree they are not as highly trained as a Regular Member, that requires many months at Depot.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

North of 60
Veteran Member

Postby North of 60 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:24 am

I support the Auxiliary program and their current role in the outfit. There are many dedicated Auxiliary members. Having said that I did not take them on the road. To bring them, unarmed, into dangerous situations never made any sense to me.

FordAve
Rookie Member

Postby FordAve » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:26 am

Jim Street wrote:
I think the consensus is that there are instances where the unarmed specials or auxiliaries are being used in place of regular officers where they shouldn't be. Just because a "Community Safety Officer" position is created and they're unarmed, doesn't make it smart or a good idea.

Where are auxiliaries being used to replace regular members? The last time I looked, just about every police force in Canada is recruiting.

Just like Auxiliaries, Community Safety Officers will be doing the duties that regulars don't have the time to do.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstien

"Your problem is low self-esteem. It's very common among losers."

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:30 am

Respond Wayne wrote:
th wrote:

It has already been mentioned that some Auxiliary members receieve more training than others, depending upon which region you are in... I would think that they would all get the same training, but apparently that is not the case (so we have been told in this thread)... I agree they are not as highly trained as a Regular Member, that requires many months at Depot.

Imagine one day Ontario Auxiliaries will all attend one standardized training facility like OPC. :alright:

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:53 am

I wouldn't "thumbs up" that. The training back at your service is probably a lot more comfy than being sent to OPC for x number of days.

CO

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:50 pm

FordAve wrote:Where are auxiliaries being used to replace regular members? The last time I looked, just about every police force in Canada is recruiting.

Just like Auxiliaries, Community Safety Officers will be doing the duties that regulars don't have the time to do.

I assume you're talking about the CSO position in BC. It sounds to me like it was created as a replacement for regular officers. (it had been discussed in the LEO forum)

Maybe some of the things that they expect regular members to do shouldn't have to be done, so they don't need to hire anyone. There's far too much emphasis on being community oriented and warm and fuzzy. If the public is so worried about their community being short of cops, then hire more of them.

I view auxiliaries as dedicated people from their communities who assist regular officers, this debate has been beaten to death regarding arming them, what their duties entail and what their uniforms look like. But I don't agree with allowing them to be paired up together in a marked car, or alone anywhere in one.
Last edited by Jim Street on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.