RCMP auxiliary PC ?

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
Tango5
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP auxiliary PC ?

Postby Tango5 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:25 am

We don't need it, neither do Reg Members. [/sarcasm]
Reg's use it so do we, by use I mean on shift.
Guys, I have no idea why this whole Aux 'on hands' involvement creates so much disbelieve... we do get involved, more then some would like here and there, so what?.. that's reality.

Gotcha, we use MDTs, including CPIC while on ride-alongs to run plates, persons etc. I read files to members while they are driving... run 27 and 29 during 10-11 and so on.
I have no idea how ride-alongs look around beside where I serve, all I can say that where I am at, some Auxiliary members ( the once withe guts, experience or what have you ) operate most of the MDT operations and a lot of Radio communications while out on ride-alongs.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:27 am

cgy1 wrote:i would think that because an auxiliary works along side an rcmp officer in many circumstances, is there any reason to restrict them to NOT have access? being that the people who operate the cpic terminals at some departments aren't even peace officers? the only thing this would do is help the aux assist the RM further

Oh because they could very easily CPIC every Tom, Dick, and Harry , even their next door neighbor, enemy ect.

Its not like if the person comes up as wanted, the auxiliary could arrest them, they lack the authority to do so, and the only time they have the authority to do so is when they're working along side a full-time member who has CPIC access anyhow.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:28 am

cgy1 wrote:i would think that because an auxiliary works along side an rcmp officer in many circumstances, is there any reason to restrict them to NOT have access? being that the people who operate the cpic terminals at some departments aren't even peace officers? the only thing this would do is help the aux assist the RM further

And we do assist further.. there are no restrictions here.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:30 am

gotchya wrote:

Oh because they could very easily CPIC every Tom, Dick, and Harry , even their next door neighbor, enemy ect.

We could, just like any other Member but we WOULD not.

Its not like if the person comes up as wanted, the auxiliary could arrest them, they lack the authority to do so, and the only time they have the authority to do so is when they're working along side a full-time member who has CPIC access anyhow.

LOL.. ok, Like I have not arrested anybody and then called a members assistance while I was on duty... with another Aux... ( well under General Supervision ) Guys you are SO misinformed is not even funny.

Is it right that we can considering work relations?, damn maybe not, but its allowed by policy. I haven't created it, I do not make the calls on it. Whoever gave me the option... go wonder to them.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:50 am

Podhalan wrote: LOL.. ok, Like I have not arrested anybody and then called a members assistance while I was on duty... with another Aux... ( well under General Supervision ) Guys you are SO misinformed is not even funny.

Making an arrest under s.494 and executing a warrant are two different cans of worms.

British Columbia Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
AUXILIARY/RESERVE CONSTABLE PROGRAM
PROVINCIAL POLICY
August 2007 Page 14
10.0: Activities an A/R must not perform

Issue, serve or execute documents relating to Court processes, such as Violation Tickets, Appearance Notices, Summonses, subpoenas or warrants.

What am I so misinformed about...?
Last edited by gotchya on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:54 am

gotchya wrote:
Podhalan wrote: LOL.. ok, Like I have not arrested anybody and then called a members assistance while I was on duty... with another Aux... ( well under General Supervision ) Guys you are SO misinformed is not even funny.

British Columbia Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
AUXILIARY/RESERVE CONSTABLE PROGRAM
PROVINCIAL POLICY
August 2007 Page 14
10.0: Activities an A/R must not perform

Issue, serve or execute documents relating to Court processes, such as Violation Tickets, Appearance Notices, Summonses, subpoenas or warrants.

What am I so misinformed about...?

Not seeing arrest, except warrant, working alone ( without a Reg Member), drive a PC...... that's what. Oh... and issuing, signing and serving warnings, vehicle inspection requests. Ofcourse while, uniformed, under general or direct supervision and on duty

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:04 am

And thus defeating the need for CPIC...
ImageImage

cgy1
Rookie Member

Postby cgy1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:05 am

actually, that quote of the act says that an aux can't serve any paperwork (including warrant) it doesn't say anything in your quote about arresting a person with a warrant, or making an arrest on any other person

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:07 am

cgy1 wrote:actually, that quote of the act says that an aux can't serve any paperwork (including warrant) it doesn't say anything in your quote about arresting a person with a warrant, or making an arrest on any other person

Execute generally means arresting the person (who's subject to a warrant)...perhaps I'm misinterpreting it.
ImageImage

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:11 am

gotchya wrote:And thus defeating the need for CPIC...

What are you talking about. All I said that we use it and have access to it.
Last edited by Tango5 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

cgy1
Rookie Member

Postby cgy1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

gotchya wrote:
cgy1 wrote:actually, that quote of the act says that an aux can't serve any paperwork (including warrant) it doesn't say anything in your quote about arresting a person with a warrant, or making an arrest on any other person

Execute generally means arresting the person (who's subject to a warrant)...perhaps I'm misinterpreting it.

sorry, you're right, i didn't see that word... i feel dum now

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:48 am

We have NO right to serve documents relating to Courts, we have no right to execute warrants ( as to actually go and look for the person, knowing where he/she lives and arrest based on that warrant) however, we can and do at times, during all kinds of circumstances 'call in' and 'run' a person on the radio, if that check comes with a possible hit then we have FULL authority to arrest, calf and detain till a regular member comes to assist.
Last edited by Tango5 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:49 am

Podhalan wrote:We have NO right to serve documents concerning Courts, we have no right to execute warrants ( as to actually go and look for the person, knowing where he/she lives and arrest based on that warrant) however, we can and do at times, during all kinds of circumstances 'call in' and 'run' a person on the radio, if that check comes with a possible hit then we have FULL authority to arrest, calf and detain till a regular member comes to assist.

Executing a warrant is executing a warrant...
ImageImage

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:22 am

gotchya wrote:
Podhalan wrote:We have NO right to serve documents concerning Courts, we have no right to execute warrants ( as to actually go and look for the person, knowing where he/she lives and arrest based on that warrant) however, we can and do at times, during all kinds of circumstances 'call in' and 'run' a person on the radio, if that check comes with a possible hit then we have FULL authority to arrest, calf and detain till a regular member comes to assist.

Executing a warrant is executing a warrant...

Technically yes. When you are actually executing the warrant.
Don't forget that we wouldn't just run a person for the heck of it, there would be a reason like - act of violence, theft, public disturbance, we wouldn't base the arrest on the warrant but rather on the present actions.

I see where I made a mistake in the interpretation of our power of arrest and I am not surprised that you question that statement.

cgy1
Rookie Member

Postby cgy1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:42 am

the act of detaining someone to deliver to another peace officer isn't as odd as it sounds. i remember calgary transit peace officers could not arrest someone who had a CC warrant, they had to call CPS to come pick them up, however, if they had municipal or provincial warrants, they could arrest the person, and transport them to arrest processing (calgary police's cells, where they see a jp, get released, transferred to remand, ect) they still had the authority to hold a person until CPS attended. I don't know the specific statutes, nor portions of their previous appointment, that allowed them to do that, nor do i work for them... and they may still have that issue, but i think it has been resolved (if not, a solution is in the works)

Calgary Transit's peace officers are, armed with full (minus firearm) duty belts, and have most authorities available to law enforcement. Their primary role is to protect the patrons, and employees of the transit system (basically, they aren't rural peace officers, who deal with farm country and animal issues)