Calgary police kill knife attacker

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
Gerg
Rookie Member

Postby Gerg » Wed May 31, 2006 9:16 am

Respond Wayne wrote:Another 1 1/2 year old post brought back to life...

Thanks Willpwer!

Christ, I didn't even realize....... :?
Failure; Sometimes the meaning of life is to serve as a warning for others......

jaymalo_eh

Postby jaymalo_eh » Wed May 31, 2006 10:12 am

I thought soemone was just posting in this thread because the judge cleared the Cst of any wrong doing yesterday. :thumbsup:
Meh...

Gerg
Rookie Member

Postby Gerg » Wed May 31, 2006 10:31 am

jaymalo_eh wrote:I thought soemone was just posting in this thread because the judge cleared the Cst of any wrong doing yesterday. :thumbsup:

Good to hear.
Failure; Sometimes the meaning of life is to serve as a warning for others......

Rob
Grand Poobah

Postby Rob » Wed May 31, 2006 10:58 am

jaymalo_eh wrote:I thought soemone was just posting in this thread because the judge cleared the Cst of any wrong doing yesterday. :thumbsup:

I think what is in the paper today is a different incident... :|

Police need better briefing, inquiry finds

Sean Myers and Deborah Tetley, Calgary Herald
Published: Wednesday, May 31, 2006

CALGARY - An inquiry into the 2003 shooting death of a Sudanese immigrant points to the need for the Calgary police to step up communication and information available to officers responding to potentially violent calls.

Four out of five of the recommendations by fatality inquiry Judge Gerald Meagher point to communication breakdowns the night Const. Ira Macumber responded to a disturbance call in a southeast Calgary apartment hallway.

While some members of the Sudanese community are still angry, the lawyer for Deng Fermino Kuol's family said he accepts the findings.

Police Chief Jack Beaton said Tuesday all the recommendations have been implemented or are in the process of being addressed.

On Oct. 25, 2003, police were called to an apartment to ask a drunken, knife-wielding Deng Fermino Kuol to leave the property, the inquiry heard.

Following a struggle, Kuol was fatally shot twice in the neck by Macumber.

What Macumber didn't know when he set out alone that night was that another police officer had been attacked months earlier at that same address, the judge noted.

"There was information available on the (system) regarding Mr. Fermino and the location which could have altered the course of events," reads the report.

The fifth recommendation calls for the police department to review its two-officer unit policy.

Beaton said the policy has been updated since Kuol's death. He said there are still situations, day or night, when it is not worth sending two officers to a scene.

"This was a 'check on welfare' call, which are the highest number of calls we get," said Beaton. "(Macumber) expected to find someone drunk and passed out in a hallway. When he got there things changed quickly. Our officer reacted with the training we gave him."

Calgary Police Association president Al Koenig said one-officer units respond to calls overnight "on a regular basis."

"It happens too often," Koenig said. "One of these times we are going to have another fatality."

George Blochert, the lawyer for the Kuol family during the fatality inquiry, said he supports the recommendations.

"The reality is you can have another situation with a slightly different set of circumstances and have another death," said Blochert. "But these were good recommendations appropriate to the goal of the fatality inquiry of trying to prevent this sort of thing from happening again."

Meagher determined the officer's use of force was necessary, as did an internal investigation.

Macumber, who is on paid leave, declined comment Tuesday.

Tut Kueth of the Alberta New Sudan Community Association said he still thinks Macumber should've been charged. "We're upset over this and it's not just Sudanese, all Calgarians should be upset," said Kueth.
© The Edmonton Journal 2006
'You sleep well in your bed at night only because a few rough men are willing to do violent things on your behalf"
George Orwell.

"Some times upholding the law is messy, but you get by, one day at a time"
Eric Cartman

Semper ubi sub ubi

pc154

Postby pc154 » Wed May 31, 2006 1:16 pm

Interesting about the use of K9. A past handler here, sent his dog after a guy with a knife, however it was more of a stand off situation and the guy was not advancing at that time. There were several officers that also had the suspect at gunpoint and had drawn the imaginary "line in the sand". The dog engaged the suspect on 2 separate occassions ripping his arm good, however the guy was so jacked on PCP that it had no effect. OC spray also had no effect and we didn't have tasers at that time. Eventually he gave up and complied with commands and never did go at the dog with the knife.

Gunfights are no place for a dog, period. A suspect with a knife may possibly be engaged by K9, depending on the circumstances.

If an officers life is in immediate harm and there is no better option, then the dog would be deployed.

As already mentioned K9 is less than lethal force, and should not be the use of force option, where a firearm normally would be used.

I would gladly give up my dogs life for another officers life. My dog for a shit rat though.........i'm not too sure.

jaymalo_eh

Postby jaymalo_eh » Wed May 31, 2006 1:53 pm

Rob wrote:

I think what is in the paper today is a different incident... :|

Same incident. Judge made recomendations to CPS but MacCumber was also cleared.
Meh...

WILLPOWER
Rookie Member

Postby WILLPOWER » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:00 am

Here's a other good way to stop a knife attack..!
http://www.wimp.com/takedown/

R.O.P.E.
Rookie Member

Re: Calgary police kill knife attacker

Postby R.O.P.E. » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:55 am

Interesting.

red_coat
Sage Member

Postby red_coat » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:04 pm

After three and a half years from it's last post and you post "interesting"??

Come on. Someone lock this.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:45 am

Succinct though ... if not very timely.