Calgary police kill knife attacker

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:29 am

By BILL GRAVELAND

CALGARY (CP) - What began as a domestic dispute that sent two women to hospital ended with a Calgary police officer fatally shooting a knife-wielding male suspect Friday.

"This is probably the worst nightmare for all of our officers," said Insp. Peter Davison from the Calgary Police Service. "We all understand that every day we may be put in this situation but we dread actually having to carry through with the use of deadly force," he said.

Police received a domestic violence call Friday morning from a residence in southeast Calgary.

Two women had fled from the home - one was suffering serious multiple stab wounds. Both were transported to hospital with injuries police described as serious.

A man in his late 20's initially refused to leave the house but when he came out two hours later he was behaving aggressively and brandishing a large knife, said police.

"After several requests from our officers to drop the weapon, a shot was fired resulting in the fatal wounding of the suspect," said Davison.

The unidentified man was transported to hospital but later died.

Davison said the police officer, a handler in the K-9 Unit, was extremely upset.

"Obviously he's shaken by it but we'll work through it," said Davison.

"The service has a very thorough, traumatic stress policy which will be made available to him," he said.

Acting Chief Jim Hornby said it appears from the initial investigation that the officer had no choice but to shoot the suspect who was advancing on police in a threatening manner.

"I believe our officer had no alternative other than to take the action that he did," said Hornby.

"The individual was very aggressive - assaultive in nature - and was threatening our officers at the scene."

The matter was still under investigation late Friday. Under Calgary Police Service policy, it is the responsibility of the homicide unit to investigate officer-involved shootings.

Once the investigation is complete, a report will be forwarded to the Crown prosecutors' office. A concurrent investigation by the Calgary Police Service Professional Standards Section will also be conducted.

"This is an unfortunate loss of life and it will have a tragic impact on both the families of the deceased and our officer," Hornby said.
Hired Goon

jaymalo_eh

Postby jaymalo_eh » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:06 pm

Tragic event, but after seeing the video the officer had no choice but to shoot...I'm glad that so far the community hasn't started their usual cries of excessive force, and racism, that seems to go hand in hand with these incidents now a days.

I tried to find the video of the event, but had no sucess...sorry.
Meh...

Runner
Rookie Member

Postby Runner » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:43 pm

I was in Calgary for the weekend and was surprised to see the video of the shooting on the Evening News.
Unpleasant, but I couldn't see a different outcome, based on the continuing actions of the knife-wielder.
The thing that bothers me is that immediately the reporters were interviewing family, asking them 'Do you think the Police did the right thing?' , basically begging for controversy IMO.
I'd for once like to see them asking how the officer who had to do his job is coping, if he went to CIDebrifeing, etc.
Media sucks.
Cheers,
Erik Y.
"Live your own life, for you will die your own death" Roman proverb

Chuk750

Postby Chuk750 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:31 am

Yup, as usual the media spin is coming...
Watched the news last night and the questions as usual are coming, "why didn't he shoot him in the foot or the leg?" :roll:
The interesting thing about it this time though is it did not seem that they were questioning the officer but they were questioning the training in the use of "lethal force", and whether or not PO's should now shoot to wound... :roll:
It drives me crazy that people still think a round to the leg or foot is going to stop someone. If someone is coming at a PO with a knife they damn well better recieve a double tap to center mass.
Tragic situation however the media needs to report that the suspect is the one that decides what level of force will be used, not the police.
The officer, in my opinion, made the right decision and I hope he is doing well.

warden602
Grand Poobah

Postby warden602 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:34 pm

Chuk750 wrote: The interesting thing about it this time though is it did not seem that they were questioning the officer but they were questioning the training in the use of "lethal force", and whether or not PO's should now shoot to wound...

Well, according to the news story, the guy died in hospital, not on the scene. If they were "shooting to kill" one would think the reverse would be true.

jaymalo_eh

Postby jaymalo_eh » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:25 pm

Newest twist that I heard this morning...

"Should police be using K-9 to take down armed suspects instead of shooting them?" :roll:

Gimmie a break...'cause you know a K-9 unit ALWAYS goes to every call.
Don't the police have a dog in every car? :ponder:

:banghead:
Meh...

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:39 pm

Typical Media BS
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:55 am

jaymalo_eh wrote:Newest twist that I heard this morning...

"Should police be using K-9 to take down armed suspects instead of shooting them?" :roll:

Gimmie a break...'cause you know a K-9 unit ALWAYS goes to every call.
Don't the police have a dog in every car? :ponder:

:banghead:

Of course the dog must be muzzeled and have it's claws removed. Wouldn't want to risk injuring the poor, socially discriminated individual who has been so mistreated by the social welfare system that in a drug induced blackout unknowingly armed him/herself and committed a series of violent armed robberies over a lifetime.

:stupid:

Leaflooj

Postby Leaflooj » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:37 am

:stupid:

Yup, same old let's blame everyone else but the person who was trying to stab the PO BS.
" I did'nt see nothin"

BonaFide
Veteran Member

Postby BonaFide » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:12 am

The K-9 bit came into it because the officer that fired the shot was a K-9 officer.. and the dog was present. However it hasn't been said whether the dog was capable of being released at the time.

And... it was a fine case for suicide by cop.
-BonaFide

Northerner

Postby Northerner » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:20 am

Dog handlers that I have spoken to have told me they will NOT send their dog in after an armed suspect - the dog is NOT 'lethal force' so they will not use it as a response option. A knife-wielding suspect can easily kill a dog, and they aren't sending their partnet to his death for that reason. If he has a gun, it is even more obvious to NOT use a dog. If the bad guy has a knife or gun, a dog handler will use their firearm first, and the dog as a distant secondary option.

The public may have this misconception that police dogs are expendable, but when one considers the $70,000 or more that goes into training one, they won't want to pay to buy one everytime a knife-wielding suspect comes up. A bullet is far cheaper, and more appropriate, since the bad guy can always just put the frickin' knife (or gun) down and surrender peaceful-like.
Rules to live by: Cover yours, kick theirs.

WILLPOWER
Rookie Member

Postby WILLPOWER » Tue May 30, 2006 7:26 pm

He is not the only one...
Check this video.. http://www.wimp.com/knifeencounter/

By the way Thank's Northerner for the K9 info...

Gerg
Rookie Member

Postby Gerg » Tue May 30, 2006 8:06 pm

If people want to start having the dog's sent in, then the police should start training lambs in their place...............

That's right, sacrificial lambs............

Glad to hear that the victims and police involved are doing well, I hope that the officer who took the shot can recover.

Do we not all expect the media to put their spin on it, and create controversy??

I for one have seen it enough times to know that anytime the police are in the media, and have had to use force, there will be people screaming abuse......
Failure; Sometimes the meaning of life is to serve as a warning for others......

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue May 30, 2006 8:18 pm

Another 1 1/2 year old post brought back to life...

Thanks Willpwer!
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Wed May 31, 2006 8:50 am

At the end of the day, the good guys weren't physically injured, and the victims are alive. The right choice was made, and the right thing was done.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.