In-Custody Injury

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
MentalHealthPO
Rookie Member

In-Custody Injury

Postby MentalHealthPO » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:31 pm

I do not want to get into details as the incident as it occured early Monday morning but an incident occured where a client of the facility I work at apparently received an injury to the hand when the client resisted when we placed the client in a "seclusion"room, for suicide attempt.

For police officers, especially ones who work in the cells, and correctional officers who work in similar environments and do similar activities when someone is suicidal I have a couple of questions;

With an in-custody injury is there an internal investigation?

Is there an external investigation?

I wasn't involved in the mechanism of injury but was involved in a large portion of the incident, is there any need to let my union know?

And how long is it normal to relive the incident before someone should ask for help?

Thanks

Jim Street
Poobah Overlord

Re: In-Custody Injury

Postby Jim Street » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:09 pm

MentalHealthPO wrote:With an in-custody injury is there an internal investigation?

Depends on your organization

See above

I wasn't involved in the mechanism of injury but was involved in a large portion of the incident, is there any need to let my union know?

If you think you need your union, you probably do.

Your training would tell you that in each incident you're involved in, you'll have to articulate yourself and properly justify and explain your actions.

And how long is it normal to relive the incident before someone should ask for help?

Relive the incident? Like flashbacks? If you're continually thinking about it, you likely have problems.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Pavement_Bacon
Rookie Member

Postby Pavement_Bacon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:33 pm

What Jim said

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:38 pm

contact your supervisor.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

MentalHealthPO
Rookie Member

Postby MentalHealthPO » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Jim Street wrote:
MentalHealthPO wrote:With an in-custody injury is there an internal investigation?

Depends on your organization

See above

If you think you need your union, you probably do.

Your training would tell you that in each incident you're involved in, you'll have to articulate yourself and properly justify and explain your actions.

Relive the incident? Like flashbacks? If you're continually thinking about it, you likely have problems.

Thank you for your information. Right now it is kind of reliving the incident trying to figure out what I could have done differently, what other staff could have done differently. Probably it is more second guessing than anything else.

This has only been the second time that an injury has occured to a client with my department present, since the department I work for was created last April, I don't think I need Union but then again I want to be careful as I am on my full time probationary status and don't want this incident to come up in my performace review especially since I think at this time I couldn't have done anything differently to prevent injury to the client.

Jim Street
Poobah Overlord

Postby Jim Street » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:45 pm

If you've followed your training and can articulate it, then you should have nothing to worry about. That being said, it wouldn't stop an investigation of assault by an external agency or a review internally by your supervisors. If it was so ordered.

Follow your training and articulate, articulate, articulate. Use of force is never pretty, people get hurt.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

MentalHealthPO
Rookie Member

Postby MentalHealthPO » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:57 pm

Jim Street wrote:If you've followed your training and can articulate it, then you should have nothing to worry about. That being said, it wouldn't stop an investigation of assault by an external agency or a review internally by your supervisors. If it was so ordered.

Follow your training and articulate, articulate, articulate. Use of force is never pretty, people get hurt.

I think the other special constable and myself followed our training but I guess it is up for management or whoever investigates (internal/external) if at all. Like any situation I guess I am just thinking about what could have occurred and will get over it eventually.

It is just tought, the unknown if this issue will come back in the future. And on a personal working relationship if the working relationship is compromised with the client with myself and the other S/Cnst, even though we were not the mechanism of injury.

I wish I could tell you guys more so you guys could decide for yourselves but because it is so recent and I don't know if anything will come from it I don't think I can say anything more on the incident.

And I don't even know what/who (as a department) would be conducting an external review (if possible), as we are Specials authorized by the Department of Health and not under the Province's Department of Justice.

Jim Street
Poobah Overlord

Postby Jim Street » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:04 pm

All I can say is that if you are in a position to use force, better get used to this.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:09 pm

If it has anything to do with what you were asking questions about the other day regarding authority, I'd probably sit with a union rep and figure out what you guys are expected and not expected to do.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

MentalHealthPO
Rookie Member

Postby MentalHealthPO » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:45 am

basketcase wrote:If it has anything to do with what you were asking questions about the other day regarding authority, I'd probably sit with a union rep and figure out what you guys are expected and not expected to do.

Unfortunately in reality the management does not know what we are suppose to do, what they expect us to do and the union I think unfortunately is at the same level or even worse as there are 500 plus workers, with 12 special constables.

I think I am stressed out because the client got injured, but like Jim said, I have to be prepared for injuries to occur, it is a fact of the job. I can;t :(( . I think posting what I can on this thread is assisting a bit in venting even though it is midnight here and i have to g to work tomorrow night.

Question, after a (prisoner) has been injured what is the best tact for an LEO to deal with that subject in future interactions (cells, correctional facility)?

Has a certain technique worked well or does it depend on you and the prisoner/client?

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:24 am

I find reminding them that they were injured the first time helps settle them down. :twisted:
OFFICER OF THE LAW

MentalHealthPO
Rookie Member

Postby MentalHealthPO » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:24 am

basketcase wrote:I find reminding them that they were injured the first time helps settle them down. :twisted:

That could work. :D :twisted:

But I guess I have to be more like an :angel:

MentalHealthPO
Rookie Member

Postby MentalHealthPO » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:28 am

I got some news this morning, unofficially from my partner, that the client in the incident was not injury or only received a minor injury.

As the mechanism was a magnetic door hitting hand I think client is fortunate, and it has put alot of stress of me, even when I wasn't the mechanism causing the injury.

Still don't know if it will be investigated.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:03 pm

If you're this stressed out over it I think you need to find another line of work. It's just not for you. If not being the one to cause you the injury stresses you out, then when you have to use legitimate force and break an arm you're going to have a meltdown. It may not be what you want to hear but it's the truth.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

MentalHealthPO
Rookie Member

Postby MentalHealthPO » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:18 pm

I would like to thank you for your opinion. However it is your opinion. I on the other hand believe this is the only career for me as I have tried 9-5 jobs and I just can't do 9-5. I need the rush and excitement of incidents and assisting people. As a security guard I have performed aid on a man who was pushed down a flight of stairs at a mall and had a bleeding head wound. At the same mall I assisted a man who had just overdosed on heroin, and I (with other security guards) chased a couple of drug dealers of the same site.

The thing is at this job which should be the top of security as we are special constables at a medical facility for a certain illness and I am on probation and i don't want an incident, like this to effect my review when my probationary period is over. Management says the facility is a no blame facility, but that is unfortunately not the case.

Did I get stressed out about this incident. Yes. Did I go a little overboard, I will admit yes, my stress was probably a bit on the paranoia but like I have said the incident just occured Monday and I can't tell you guys the full details of the incident at all.