Of course Al Sharpton thinks this one is race related!

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
copperandblue
Rookie Member

Of course Al Sharpton thinks this one is race related!

Postby copperandblue » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:44 pm

http://www.fwweekly.com/index.php?optio ... Itemid=248

The cop is white and the girl is black...must be race related. :roll:
Break the arm of the wicked and evil man; call him to account for his wickedness that would not be found out. Psalm 10:15

JayDeeDoubleYou
Rookie Member

Re: Of course Al Sharpton thinks this one is race related!

Postby JayDeeDoubleYou » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Here's a brilliant idea - do not resist arrest or become physically abusive with a cop and you will not have to worry about being "assaulted" by the police, no matter what colour you and the arresting officer(s) are. End of story. Case closed.

I am pleasantly surprised that the article - and its comments - actually defends the cop's actions for the most part.

The Seattle police officer being criticized for punching a 17-year-old girl in the face ought to be commended based on video taken by a bystander.

Prior to that skirmish (and off-camera) he had confronted someone for jaywalking. The confrontation had escalated by the time the camera was turned on, but the footage shows a cop doing what needed to be done – but nothing more – to take control of a bad situation.

Now critics are saying he punched a girl for jaywalking. Wrong. He punched a girl who was hitting him.

The cop was white and the girl was black and it occurred on Martin Luther King Junior Way South, so naturally Matt Lauer and the Today Show invited the Rev. Al Sharpton to come on camera and throw a torch on the tinderbox. Sharpton was “outraged” and said the cop over-reacted and should have just “grabbed her” instead of punching.

Sure, the cop threw a pretty good right to the girl’s jaw, but just one. Then he went for a basic arm hold. And while he’s doing this, the girl’s friend is grabbing him from behind — something that puts the cop in a vulnerable position because somebody can grab his gun. Theoretically, he could have clubbed or Tazed both of them. Instead he risked harm to his own fist.

That last sentence wasn’t even a joke — I know a cop who chose to punch a violent bad guy with his fist one night rather than to shoot him. That was 25 years ago and the cop still has problems with his hand because of a shattered knuckle.

He says now it would have been much easier to shoot the guy — but he’s glad he didn’t.

C’mon, everybody knows you can’t hit a cop. That’s a fight you can’t win physically; but you can win in other ways.

A Dallas DART cop once ticketed me for jaywalking. The guy was a jerk and I wanted to tell him to go to hell. Instead I contested the ticket in a Dallas court system that’s designed to make you pay. Eight years later I got my day in court. Here’s what happened.

Postscript: My long fight against the jaywalking ticket so inspired consumer watchdog reporter Dave Lieber that he included a chapter on me in his book “Watchdog Nation.”

By the way, this Seattle Times story says police there have received many complaints about jaywalking stops that have escalated into violence, and some are calling for better training for police. Part of the problem is, people don’t view jaywalking as a crime so they get indignant and combative when confronted by a cop.

Maybe police — and jaywalkers — should read last week’s cover story about nonviolent communication.

Badlands
Rookie Member

Postby Badlands » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Its a similar situation in the video my buddy and I got at a Stampeders game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc_Kvb-JnUo

A bunch of Riders fans were being removed, when one grabs at the officers belt and yanks on his radio cord, and of course the officer responds. Speaking of which, the officer was of Asian descent and the Rider fan was a white guy. Gee, I wonder why Al Sharpton isn't outraged about this.

the.best
Rookie Member

Postby the.best » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:45 pm

She f*cking deserved it. I can't believe anyone would even take her side, WTF was she thinking coming at a cop like that? It could have been MUCH MUCH worse for her. And of course the race card is played.

wilbertsasso
Sage Member

Postby wilbertsasso » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Who cares what Al Sharpton thinks. He's a shi thead.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:41 pm

hope he was chargd with attempting to disarm a peace officer.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:33 am

Badlands wrote:Its a similar situation in the video my buddy and I got at a Stampeders game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc_Kvb-JnUo

A bunch of Riders fans were being removed, when one grabs at the officers belt and yanks on his radio cord, and of course the officer responds. Speaking of which, the officer was of Asian descent and the Rider fan was a white guy. Gee, I wonder why Al Sharpton isn't outraged about this.

Because it's common knowledge only white people can be racist or commit race related crimes etc.......wake up man
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:36 am

All one has to do is look at the jail population in the states. Smoke that in your pipe al sharpton.

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:59 pm

Al Sharpton thinks everything is race-related.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

copperandblue
Rookie Member

Postby copperandblue » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:09 pm

Gard, was that a racist statement :D
Break the arm of the wicked and evil man; call him to account for his wickedness that would not be found out. Psalm 10:15

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:18 pm

A government blue-ribbon panel would, after 2 years and 16 million dollars, probably agree with you.

That's because as a society we don't have a set of balls between us.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

copperandblue
Rookie Member

Postby copperandblue » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:55 pm

I agree. :thumbsup:

JayDeeDoubleYou
Rookie Member

Postby JayDeeDoubleYou » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:28 pm

I think no matter what the cop would have done, someone would have complained about him being a racist. It just serves as another outlet for people to hate the police (unjustifiably, of course). :banghead: