OC Spray - Use of force question

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Re: OC Spray - Use of force question

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:49 pm

gotchya wrote:
PPSC Lawyer wrote:I don't entirely agree. Now clearly if the use of OC spray wasn not justified at all, then the particular manner in which it was used doesn't matter. However just because it was justified, there may be some situations or scenarios where a certain type of application may not be warranted.

Clarification please... :ponder:

I dunno exactly, but just spitballing... deliberately spracying OC spray into an open mouth, or an open wound?
No longer with PPSC, but still 100% Crown Prosecutor.

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:11 pm

I used the word "dliberately", quite, well, deliberately.

Jim Street
Poobah Overlord

Postby Jim Street » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:52 pm

Again, without knowing the circumstances surrounding the use in this case, it's not possible to comment.

I'm sure if there is a trial and it's questioned, the use of force instructors will be testifying.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:45 pm

VanB wrote:
PPSC Lawyer wrote:I used the word "dliberately", quite, well, deliberately.

As opposed to accidentally spraying someone in the face with OC? I'd think I'd rather have my cops doing the spraying on purpose, at least it shows they are in control of their options.

Gee, I thought the whole purpose of the OC spray was to direct it at 'sensitive' targets - like the mouth/nose & eyes. Not much effect when sprayed on the skin or clothes, so why bother even pull it out if that's all you are doing. :ponder:

IOW - yes, deliberately spray the POS in the face. :D
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:20 am

PPSC Lawyer wrote:
gotchya wrote:
PPSC Lawyer wrote:I don't entirely agree. Now clearly if the use of OC spray wasn not justified at all, then the particular manner in which it was used doesn't matter. However just because it was justified, there may be some situations or scenarios where a certain type of application may not be warranted.

Clarification please... :ponder:

I dunno exactly, but just spitballing... deliberately spracying OC spray into an open mouth, or an open wound?

Isn't OC spray "supposed" to go directly into the eyes or somewhere on the face? Isn't the whole purpose of it supposed to put the bad guy in a position where the officer can gain control without resorting to other more lethal options??

I dunno...your question.... :ponder:

o.k....editing to acknowledge I just pretty much repeated what Homer said :oops:
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:02 am

Kopparoo2b wrote:Isn't OC spray "supposed" to go directly into the eyes or somewhere on the face? Isn't the whole purpose of it supposed to put the bad guy in a position where the officer can gain control without resorting to other more lethal options??

Ideally you want to get it into the mucus membranes, eyes, nose etc. However, you're no going to be able walk up and shoot it up someones nose or in their mouth; what we were instructed is aim for the forehead (specifically the bridge above the eyes) and allow it to run down.

OC isn't all that effective, generally if you're spraying OC be prepared for fight.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Homer wrote:IOW - yes, deliberately spray the POS in the face. :D

Fair point.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:40 am

gotchya wrote:what we were instructed is aim for the forehead (specifically the bridge above the eyes) and allow it to run down.

Training has changed and is being rolled out at refresher courses. Contact a Use of Force instructor for details.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:25 am

we were also trained to not spray people point blank, or use the whole can. Both of which I have done in fights.
When you are in the middle of it, spray them anyway you can.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:10 pm

We need to stop giving this lawyer tactics on here or training points. Obviously him asking shows that he isn't sure what the member did was allowed. Let him ask the member who he is trying to sewer or the police service in his area his questions.

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 pm

RJB wrote:We need to stop giving this lawyer tactics on here or training points. Obviously him asking shows that he isn't sure what the member did was allowed. Let him ask the member who he is trying to sewer or the police service in his area his questions.

Jump to conclusions much?

The member and police service certainly had their input. As I mentioned, this was one additional line of inquiry among many others.

Mods - I don't suppose this thread could be closed? It was a question from months ago, on a matter now long resolved.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:29 pm

RJB wrote:We need to stop giving this lawyer tactics on here or training points. Obviously him asking shows that he isn't sure what the member did was allowed. Let him ask the member who he is trying to sewer or the police service in his area his questions.

Isn't the Use of Force continuum available online for general public viewing? IE: open forum.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.