OC Spray - Use of force question

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

OC Spray - Use of force question

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:17 pm

I am reviewing a file, and I saw a reference to something unusual. I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about, but I wonder if anyone here had any comments:

Officer is attempting to handcuff a resistant subject. Situation is somewhat harried. Officer, who is wearing gloves, sprays OC spray into his glove, then puts his hand in the subject's face.

I've never heard of using spray in such a manner. Is that a part of training, an inventive use by this officer, or something specifically to be avoided?

As this is an open file I really can not offer any further details. If any officer would prefer to answer via personal message, I would completely understand.
No longer with PPSC, but still 100% Crown Prosecutor.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Re: OC Spray - Use of force question

Postby basketcase » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:42 pm

If this is a file that you're reviewing, you should be discussing it with the officer in question and their training unit. You shouldn't be posting for advice on a public forum.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:59 pm

basketcase wrote:If this is a file that you're reviewing, you should be discussing it with the officer in question and their training unit. You shouldn't be posting for advice on a public forum.

Thank you for your concern. This set of facts came up on a file - I can not say in what capacity I have that file. Please be re-assured that Blueline is not the only resource I am looking into.

Edit: it is also a small piece of a much larger set of facts.

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:59 pm

Makes sense, however, wouldn't it ruin the gloves? :ponder:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:44 am

Wouldn't want to accidentally rub your eyes with those gloves after.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:00 am

I'm sure the officer did not want to spray the subject in the face at such a close range and potentially cause damage. hydraulic needling. I'm sure he sprayed his gloves and rubbed it in to protect the subject from further damage!

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:56 pm

Considering the anonymity and basic trust by the average viewer that those who say they are LEO are LEO, this is kind of like referencing Wikipedia for a research paper isn't it? lol

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:58 pm

Madeline236 wrote:Considering the anonymity and basic trust by the average viewer that those who say they are LEO are LEO, this is kind of like referencing Wikipedia for a research paper isn't it? lol

:stupid:
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Madeline236 wrote:Considering the anonymity and basic trust by the average viewer that those who say they are LEO are LEO, this is kind of like referencing Wikipedia for a research paper isn't it? lol

And that's pretty much how I'm using it.

Wikipedia is useful - it can serve as a general introduction to a topic you are not familiar with. And if Wiki turns up something interesting, you then research it further using a 'real' resource.

Trust me - I'm not going to say "some person with a driving cat avatar on Blueline told me that..."

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Toonces wrote:

:stupid:

Well when you frame your argument that way............. :roll:

TacticsPT
Rookie Member

Postby TacticsPT » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Wasnt there a case many moons ago about LEO's tryong to move on some damned hippy group or other, they applied OC to Qtips and then rubbed the Qtip under the eyes of the hippies...not sure if that was Canada or the US. Anywho I think it was ruled excessive force by a hippy judge or some such shit.

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:04 pm

TacticsPT wrote:Wasnt there a case many moons ago about LEO's tryong to move on some damned hippy group or other, they applied OC to Qtips and then rubbed the Qtip under the eyes of the hippies...not sure if that was Canada or the US. Anywho I think it was ruled excessive force by a hippy judge or some such shit.

I'm just guessing that if the officers had the time to be playing around with Q-tips the 'damned hippies' were probably only passively resisting, but I'll see if my google-fu turns anything up.

Edit: happened in San Francisco, protesters were locked together, police used the pepper spray on the q-tip to get them to move. After 3 trials police were found to have used excessive force, the protesters were given $1 each in damages.

TacticsPT
Rookie Member

Postby TacticsPT » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:25 pm

Damned hippies!

wonka1990
Seasoned Member

Postby wonka1990 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:38 pm

PPSC Lawyer wrote:
TacticsPT wrote:Wasnt there a case many moons ago about LEO's tryong to move on some damned hippy group or other, they applied OC to Qtips and then rubbed the Qtip under the eyes of the hippies...not sure if that was Canada or the US. Anywho I think it was ruled excessive force by a hippy judge or some such shit.

I'm just guessing that if the officers had the time to be playing around with Q-tips the 'damned hippies' were probably only passively resisting, but I'll see if my google-fu turns anything up.

Edit: happened in San Francisco, protesters were locked together, police used the pepper spray on the q-tip to get them to move. After 3 trials police were found to have used excessive force, the protesters were given $1 each in damages.

Did they at least do a strip tease for the $1?
Opinions are my own and are not to reflect any views of my agency.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:03 am

Couldn't help myself. Oh come on, I know at least some of you were picturing this in your mind.