Hostage Situation

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
skittles702
Rookie Member

Hostage Situation

Postby skittles702 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:10 pm

I am about to have my interview for corrections. Being that I am a female and quite small, I know that I will probably be asked certain questions pertaining to how I will react in riot situations and in even more serious situations such as being held hostage by a prisoner. Now I know that you are suppose to use the least amount of force necessary to take control of the situation, but, what would be the best answer for being held hostage? Just don't put myself in that position. Always make sure that I have a partner with me and a radio?

JayDeeDoubleYou
Rookie Member

Re: Hostage Situation

Postby JayDeeDoubleYou » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:54 pm

There are a few things wrong with this post:

1.) The people here are not going to be able to directly answer your questions, as they cannot divulge information that would give you an unfair advantage. You have to be able to think independently and make the best decisions based on your own thoughts. In the real world, every situation is unique, and you cannot prepare for it every time. There will always be a variable that you haven't planned for and may jump out and bite you in the ass. For example, a scenario may look routine, but what if at the last minute you find out that the suspect has a hidden weapon? Or a history of mental illness? Just answer honestly, don't try to make up a perfect answer on the spot. Not to sound callous, but if you can't answer the questions yourself, maybe you shouldn't be in law enforcement. It all comes down to street smarts and common sense.

2.) The mere fact that you posted this topic may be considered disclosing information that is confidential. I don't believe you are intentionally trying to do anything wrong, but you may have inadvertently put yourself in a bad spot. If certain agencies find out you've disclosed privileged information, your career may come to an untimely end.

That being said, I do wish you the best of luck with your interview. :)

James

Thai
Rookie Member

Postby Thai » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:48 pm

I think it's a legit question that merits helpful pointers if available. Some things you have to learn from 3rd parties and can't be naturally obtained.

Of course how she will react and how she should react makes a difference too.

And she really didn't disclose anything confidential or privileged. Look at all the police prep sites as an example.

Thai
Rookie Member

Postby Thai » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:16 pm

Here's some info I found, but of course it's a public forum so you should take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/correct ... iews/t4518

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:59 pm

I am not in corrections (d'uh), so take what I say with a grain of salt.

You haven't received any formal training from the institution, so they're not looking for the single 'right' answer. What they are looking for is that you're thinking about the right issues, hell, that you're thinking at all. So don't worry about remembering the single right answer to any number of hypotheticals - but do try and think of what factors you need to consider and keep in mind.
No longer with PPSC, but still 100% Crown Prosecutor.

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:10 pm

PPSC Lawyer wrote:I am not in corrections (d'uh), so take what I say with a grain of salt.

You haven't received any formal training from the institution, so they're not looking for the single 'right' answer. What they are looking for is that you're thinking about the right issues, hell, that you're thinking at all. So don't worry about remembering the single right answer to any number of hypotheticals - but do try and think of what factors you need to consider and keep in mind.

And to add to this......remeber......articulate the reason for your decision. I may not be a CO but I do know that any actions you take (or omit to taking) may be called into question after the fact. ALWAYS be able to justify why you did what you did and how you did it.
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:42 am

It's quite simple.

Question: "What would you do if you were held hostage?"

Answer: "Do EXACTLY as I am trained to do sir."

If they press for an answer, here is what you say:

"I can't tell you what I would do in this situation because I have not be trained in it. What I will tell you is that I will take my training seriously and listen to exactly what my trainers say because these are the people who WANT to keep me alive. I will therefore do what they tell me is the correct response in any given situation.

"But as we all know, every situation is different. I have never been taken hostage, but perhaps I can relate a situation that DID happen to me that was very tense and I acted calmly and professionally. Here is what happened ..."

You are now a shoe-in.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:13 am

Dave Brown wrote:It's quite simple.

It's my experience that our "high quality" :roll: interviewer(s) will percieve this as a smart-ass answere and not appreciate it in the least.

Just say what you think you'd do. The only tip to keep in mind is that nothing you say/promis under duress as a hostage has any weight.
Since protection of life trumps everything... Especially if it's my life. I'd do whatever I thought it would take to save my ass.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

IMthePheonix
Sage Member

Postby IMthePheonix » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:17 pm

Tell them you would quickly fall into Stockholm Syndrome.
Strippers have $1's, Waitresses have $5's, Drug dealers have $20s. Smurfette_76 on O.com

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:29 pm

I haven't interviewed for a corrections job since I was 19, but the advice I was given was to always defer to policy and your supervisor.

CO

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Dave Brown wrote:It's quite simple.

If they press for an answer, here is what you say:

"I can't tell you what I would do in this situation because I have not be trained in it. What I will tell you is that I will take my training seriously and listen to exactly what my trainers say because these are the people who WANT to keep me alive. I will therefore do what they tell me is the correct response in any given situation.

"But as we all know, every situation is different. I have never been taken hostage, but perhaps I can relate a situation that DID happen to me that was very tense and I acted calmly and professionally. Here is what happened ..."

You are now a shoe-in.

Don't wait for them to press for an answer, go right ahead and give that follow up, and you should be golden. In my opinion.
No longer with PPSC, but still 100% Crown Prosecutor.

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:04 am

I would have thought they would not ask any questions like that but why not I guess.

And I like the least amount of force answer, you will do good kid. :P That would be my answer to. ;)
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:23 am

skittles702 wrote:I am about to have my interview for corrections. Being that I am a female and quite small, I know that I will probably be asked certain questions pertaining to how I will react in riot situations and in even more serious situations such as being held hostage by a prisoner. Now I know that you are suppose to use the least amount of force necessary to take control of the situation, but, what would be the best answer for being held hostage? Just don't put myself in that position. Always make sure that I have a partner with me and a radio?

May I ask if you are a female?

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:23 am

Apollo wrote:
skittles702 wrote:I am about to have my interview for corrections. Being that I am a female and quite small, I know that I will probably be asked certain questions pertaining to how I will react in riot situations and in even more serious situations such as being held hostage by a prisoner. Now I know that you are suppose to use the least amount of force necessary to take control of the situation, but, what would be the best answer for being held hostage? Just don't put myself in that position. Always make sure that I have a partner with me and a radio?

May I ask if you are a female?

May I ask if you can read?

;)

CO