Tasered on CBC Feb 18

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
Columbo
Seasoned Member

Re: Tasered on CBC Feb 18

Postby Columbo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:28 pm

adavies 1974 makes a valid point. This board tends towards the polemic side regardless of whether it's warranted. No one knows what unit he worked in, what he's seen, dealt with, or struggled to come to terms with from a humanitarian standpoint. As I read time and again from the P.O.'s on this board regarding their own actions, you haven't walked in this man's shoes. This board needs to lighten up and stop being so childish and sophomoric; it's tiresome.
Last edited by Columbo on Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more thing..."

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:29 pm

adavies1974 wrote:
basketcase wrote:
What is it you do? Just curious it's got no relevant bearing on anything.
I thought it would be obvious from the thread. I have been on a career break for the last little bit, but I am on the job as most are here.

Wasn't that obvious to me. Especially since going through your previous posts you have discussions posted in the Alberta Sheriff's thread. That doesn't suggest police officer to me at all.

Maybe I missed something I should have seen. Either way...whatever. Like I said, didn't matter either way.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:11 pm

VanB wrote: I'm willing to bet money that this guy isn't 100% above board, and even if he is/was a cop, his "career break" is not for positive reasons.

And you would know that about as intimately as I can assume that Robert Dziekanski should never have been tasered.
"One more thing..."

Gardenfit
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Gardenfit » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:21 pm

VanB wrote:
adavies1974 wrote:
basketcase wrote:
What is it you do? Just curious it's got no relevant bearing on anything.
I thought it would be obvious from the thread. I have been on a career break for the last little bit, but I am on the job as most are here.

What exactly does a "career break" mean? Usually when someone says that, they are inferring that they have been told by their employer not to show up to work for a while/at all. Usually not for decent reasons.

A lot of UK police services offer career breaks..basicall leave without pay..can be up to 5yrs I think...

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:51 pm

Career break or not, when not actually working, you're not on the job.

It's a misrepresentation to say otherwise.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:52 pm

Columbo wrote:adavies 1974 makes a valid point. This board tends towards the polemic side regardless of whether it's warranted. No one knows what unit he worked in, what he's seen, dealt with, or struggled to come to terms with from a humanitarian standpoint. As I read time and again from the P.O.'s on this board regarding their own actions, you haven't walked in this man's shoes. This board needs to lighten up and stop being so childish and sophomoric; it's tiresome.

Coming from you, that really doesn't mean alot.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Gardenfit
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Gardenfit » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Jim Street wrote:Career break or not, when not actually working, you're not on the job.

It's a misrepresentation to say otherwise.

I would beg to differ, it's basically extended leave without pay, with permission to work anywhere including a police service. A lot of UK cops have come over here to work without resigning from their original service, so if it doesn't work out they can go back..

Its a great system, you reach the 10yr mark...you have had a gutful need some time off to do something else, then when you finished you go back on same rank etc etc....

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:03 pm

If you're not working, you're not sworn. You aren't doing the job. We also don't know the reason for the "break", which could be numerous.

Admittedly it's obviously not the same thing as it is here, but we've had this discussion and someone who is between jobs here would NOT have access to the Private Forum.

These "breaks" don't exist here. Like has been said, this would usually mean they are not serving.

Gardenfit
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Gardenfit » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:05 pm

VanB wrote:
CC9769 wrote:
VanB wrote:
A lot of UK police services offer career breaks..basicall leave without pay..can be up to 5yrs I think...

If this was the case and it was you would you have gotten your knickers in a knot over someone asking what was meant by "career break?" How do these services feel about their employees on "career break" emigrating to other countries and trying to get hired on another police service?

No would just tell you. But thats me not him. As for the services, well theres SFA they can do. At least the door is still open. Don't mean to piss in your pocket, but even though there are a lot of similarities amongst police from first world countries (ie. US, Canada, UK, Aus, NZ etc etc) there's also a lot of minor differences, especially with UOF...what you may see as a straight up lethal force incident, a UK copper or even an Aussie cop may see theres room to move. Of course it depends on the incident and the person of course...No one is right or wrong, just different horses for different courses.