Cell extractions

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
Federal CO

Re: Cell extractions

Postby Federal CO » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:22 pm

If that's the case then good.
Very good. But brick not hit back!

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:49 pm

Federal CO wrote:Cell extractions usually involve more tools and personal than hospital security can utilize. Within the federal prison system we have OC gas, batons, gas rounds, firearms, handcuffs, trained officers, and most of all, authority. I am glad the situation went in your favor but I could see the legal issues should that "client" be smart enough to take your use of force to court.

I've never been inside a federal prison and know little about how CSC runs things, but I'm surprised a firearm would be anywhere near a cell extraction.
No longer with PPSC, but still 100% Crown Prosecutor.

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:26 pm

Don't bring a shiv to a gun fight.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

bips
Rookie Member

Postby bips » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:56 pm

raider63 wrote:
Federal CO wrote:Cell extractions usually involve more tools and personal than hospital security can utilize. Within the federal prison system we have OC gas, batons, gas rounds, firearms, handcuffs, trained officers, and most of all, authority. I am glad the situation went in your favor but I could see the legal issues should that "client" be smart enough to take your use of force to court.

The authority exists in the Mental Health Act

Retracted...i didnt realize the post was in response to "authority". My bad! :twitch:
Last edited by bips on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli." George Costanza

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:33 pm

PPSC Lawyer wrote:

I've never been inside a federal prison and know little about how CSC runs things, but I'm surprised a firearm would be anywhere near a cell extraction.

The firearms are secure behind bullet proof glass (in the control post where the officer controls cell doors and barriers) while the armed officer has the muzzle pointed out of what we call a gun port and aiming at the inmate. Unless the situation at hand is well out of control, then our ERT and TAC teams can be responding.

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:54 pm

Federal CO wrote:
PPSC Lawyer wrote:

The firearms are secure behind bullet proof glass (in the control post where the officer controls cell doors and barriers) while the armed officer has the muzzle pointed out of what we call a gun port and aiming at the inmate. Unless the situation at hand is well out of control, then our ERT and TAC teams can be responding.

Ah. Now that makes a lot of sense.
No longer with PPSC, but still 100% Crown Prosecutor.

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:01 pm

[/quote]

Ah. Now that makes a lot of sense.[/quote]
Just to make sure you're not improperly informed. Pointing firearms at inmates is not done unless there is an immediate threat (officer assualt/inmate stabbing etc). It is not proper procedure to point a firearm at an inmate during a typical cell extraction. The option is there just incase.

mtljoe82
Rookie Member

Postby mtljoe82 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:56 am

Edit: I wasnt there...
Last edited by mtljoe82 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 19th 2008- Applied to CSC
Jun. 3rd 2009- Values interview- PASSED
Jul. 1st 2009- Medical-PASSED
Sept. 29th 2009 Role play - PASSED
Jan. 25th 2010-Online training-PASSED
Mar. 29th 2010-CTP- PASSED
Jun. 7th 2010-OJT- PASSED
Sept. 20th 2010- HIRED!!!!

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:06 am

mtljoe82 wrote:
I work in a youth center here in Quebec. We are responsible for housing youths sentenced under the young offender act.

'Just to be picky... The YOA was replaced with the YCJA in 2002.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

mtljoe82
Rookie Member

Postby mtljoe82 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:51 am

Bitterman wrote:
mtljoe82 wrote:
I work in a youth center here in Quebec. We are responsible for housing youths sentenced under the young offender act.

'Just to be picky... The YOA was replaced with the YCJA in 2002.

No problem, thanks for the correction, I was translating from french off the top of my head......
Dec. 19th 2008- Applied to CSC
Jun. 3rd 2009- Values interview- PASSED
Jul. 1st 2009- Medical-PASSED
Sept. 29th 2009 Role play - PASSED
Jan. 25th 2010-Online training-PASSED
Mar. 29th 2010-CTP- PASSED
Jun. 7th 2010-OJT- PASSED
Sept. 20th 2010- HIRED!!!!

Commish.
Seasoned Member
Location: That place between were you live and that other city.

Postby Commish. » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:07 am

Sumo_CPO wrote:Anyone know where/who in Alberta to talk to about receiving training on cell extractions? Preferably instructor training, but any advice would be helpful.

The best thing is call the police in for help. You don't get paid enough to take those type of risks. Unless the hospital muckity mucks are willing to get everyone trained.
-People think that I'm quiet because I'm shy, but really I've been silently judging them from afar and determining that they're all fucking retards.

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:23 am

Commish. wrote:The best thing is call the police in for help. You don't get paid enough to take those type of risks. Unless the hospital muckity mucks are willing to get everyone trained.

Actually, I do get paid enough to take those type of risks - our salary cap is comparable with the local police service. ;)
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:12 pm

One word.....taser.......and done. No need for cell extraction teams anymore.

Transitpopo

Postby Transitpopo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:37 am

bips wrote:Cell extraction training which is offered during training in corrections/sheriffs, is not usually offered to outside professionals. You might be better off asking the excellent training staff at the Staff College if they are willing to include you but I doubt you can do so unless you are an actual recruit in training. Just curious, why would you need cell extraction training when you work in a hospital :ponder:

Sheriff's don't get cell extraction training, at least not in Alberta.

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:10 am

Transitpopo wrote:
bips wrote:Cell extraction training which is offered during training in corrections/sheriffs, is not usually offered to outside professionals. You might be better off asking the excellent training staff at the Staff College if they are willing to include you but I doubt you can do so unless you are an actual recruit in training. Just curious, why would you need cell extraction training when you work in a hospital :ponder:

Sheriff's don't get cell extraction training, at least not in Alberta.

Really? I thought they would. Especially since they train along side with Corrections.