Cell extractions

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Cell extractions

Postby Sumo_CPO » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:06 am

Anyone know where/who in Alberta to talk to about receiving training on cell extractions? Preferably instructor training, but any advice would be helpful.
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

bips
Rookie Member

Re: Cell extractions

Postby bips » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:31 pm

Cell extraction training which is offered during training in corrections/sheriffs, is not usually offered to outside professionals. You might be better off asking the excellent training staff at the Staff College if they are willing to include you but I doubt you can do so unless you are an actual recruit in training. Just curious, why would you need cell extraction training when you work in a hospital :ponder:
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli." George Costanza

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:40 pm

bips wrote:Just curious, why would you need cell extraction training when you work in a hospital :ponder:

Fair question. When dealing with patients on secure pysch units, we're occasionally required to remove them from their rooms. For some odd reason, they're not always willing to cooperate with that plan, so I was thinking that learning some tactics would benefit our guys & gals.

Also, some genius decided that the psych room in our ER needed to be renovated, and it now bears a striking resemblance to a prison cell - stainless steel toilet, stainless steel sink, and a lovely stretcher that MH patients can use as a battering ram to try and crash their way out. Can't wait until someone gets their head bounced off the sink..... 88)

The old room was completely empty except for the bed, which was bolted to the floor to prevent the aforementioned battering ram scenario.

Gotta love progress.
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:38 pm

Cells extractions can be very dangerous.

TheWidowsSon
Seasoned Member

Postby TheWidowsSon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:42 pm

Apollo wrote:Cells extractions can be very dangerous.

Really? :bow:
Proud to be a jail guard. Don't like it? Get over yourself .

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Not if you sneak up on 'em from behind. That's what CBC said to do - that way, no SBA or tools would be present to unnerve the client.
"One more thing..."

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:02 pm

Columbo wrote:Not if you sneak up on 'em from behind. That's what CBC said to do - that way, no SBA or tools would be present to unnerve the client.

hmmmm....just bear with me here......I would sneak up on them.....from behind.....

....and they are in a cell......
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:08 pm

I was being facetious there Stephen Hawking.
"One more thing..."

TheWidowsSon
Seasoned Member

Postby TheWidowsSon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Columbo wrote:I was being facetious there Stephen Hawking.

Fa - ce - ti - ous??? :ponder:

;)
Proud to be a jail guard. Don't like it? Get over yourself .

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:13 am

I was just following your lead....you know....CBC and all.....I guess without smileys the meaning gets lost :((

Stephen Hawkings eh? I don't mind that too much :mrgreen:

(no real relation though)
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Stix

Postby Stix » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:43 am

Last edited by Stix on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
You, you and you.....panic. The rest of you come with me.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:28 am

He was in that room with a lethal force option and mentally unstable. The only person he could hurt in that room was himself. I think the smart option would be to talk to him through the door to try and calm him down and wait until someone (the Police) arrive with the proper tools to do the job safely.

CO

raider63
Rookie Member

Postby raider63 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:30 pm

joaker wrote:
Fair question. When dealing with patients on secure pysch units, we're occasionally required to remove them from their rooms. For some odd reason, they're not always willing to cooperate with that plan, so I was thinking that learning some tactics would benefit our guys & gals.

Also, some genius decided that the psych room in our ER needed to be renovated, and it now bears a striking resemblance to a prison cell - stainless steel toilet, stainless steel sink, and a lovely stretcher that MH patients can use as a battering ram to try and crash their way out. Can't wait until someone gets their head bounced off the sink..... 88)

The old room was completely empty except for the bed, which was bolted to the floor to prevent the aforementioned battering ram scenario.

Gotta love progress.

We had an incident in the secure room at the hospital I work at just a few weeks ago. Our room is bare except for a stretcher that serves as the patients bed. The patient was a teenage boy who somehow managed to smash one of the lightbulbs from the ceiling and begin cutting himself with it. Being the "smart" security guard I am my first action was to have a nurse call the police. Myself and an orderly tried then spent the next few minutes trying to calm the patient down. We never entered the safe room until he suddenly dropped the piece of glass he was holding and turned away from us, at which point we moved in and restrained him and allowed the ER staff to treat him. The police arrived shortly thereafter and took over.
Looking back I can see how easily what we did could have gone horribly wrong. The patient could have had another piece of glass or something sharp that we couldn't see when he turned, one of us could have slipped on the blood on the floor (we did have gloves and eye protection on for the blood and I am issued a concealable stab vest, the orderly not so much), etc. If it happened again I'm not sure if I would attempt to restrain the patient or wait for the police and keep talking. So many things could have gone wrong but luckily didn't.
What are some of your opinions? What would be the best way to handle that situation should it happen again?

I work as security in a couple mental health facilities and have dealt with similar situations in the past. I would say it sounds like you made a good decision based on your thoughts at the time. It's all about your comfort level with the situation, for myself in similar situations I look at it from the perspective of preventing this person from killing themselves while still looking out for my own safety. Everyone is different and we all accept the occupational risk of working in mental health, so it's really a matter of doing what you feel you can do. I usually communicate with my partner and the nurses and we decide what we will do. In our facilities we use a tactic for these types of situations where you lead into the room with a mattress in front of the lead person, you than pin the client against the wall or the floor, it works well.

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:32 pm

Cell extractions usually involve more tools and personal than hospital security can utilize. Within the federal prison system we have OC gas, batons, gas rounds, firearms, handcuffs, trained officers, and most of all, authority. I am glad the situation went in your favor but I could see the legal issues should that "client" be smart enough to take your use of force to court.
Very good. But brick not hit back!

raider63
Rookie Member

Postby raider63 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:18 pm

Federal CO wrote:Cell extractions usually involve more tools and personal than hospital security can utilize. Within the federal prison system we have OC gas, batons, gas rounds, firearms, handcuffs, trained officers, and most of all, authority. I am glad the situation went in your favor but I could see the legal issues should that "client" be smart enough to take your use of force to court.

The authority exists in the Mental Health Act