Lethal Force With Edge/Sharp Weapons

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
Dudley DoRight
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Lethal Force With Edge/Sharp Weapons

Postby Dudley DoRight » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:10 am

Taser...+ deadly force overwatch. Transition from one to the other if required.

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Dudley DoRight wrote:Taser...+ deadly force overwatch. Transition from one to the other if required.

I attended a Street Survival Seminar last year put on by Caliber Press, with Lt. Jim Glennon RET instructing. Jim is a long time veteran (35 years?) of one of the smaller departments in the environs of Chicago. One of the illustrations Jim used while talking about lethal force vs less lethal force was when he and a few other officers attended a home where the mother had called the police because her son was suicidal and had threatened her. They found him lying in the bed with his right hand underneath the pillow. They drew down on him and ordered him to show his hands; he refused and challenged them to shoot him dead. This was back when tazers were first issued to the department, so Jim confirmed that his backup had the guy sighted in, then drew his tazer and put the laser aiming dot on the bad guy's chest.

Dude is like, "What the hell is that?" Jim says, "It's a tazer." Guy looks a bit nervous and asks, "What does a tazer do?" Jim says, "It electrocutes you." Guy says, "Does it hurt?" Jim says, "I donno, we just got them. I guess we're gonna find out."

Guy surrenders right away with no further resistance. He had a huge butcher knife under the pillow. Score one for the good guys!
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

Luke101
Rookie Member

Postby Luke101 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Wow. Quite a story.

1) First, I'm glad you're going to be okay physically.
2) I hope you're doing well emotionally. For this reason, I'm glad you didn't have to shoot him.
3) This guy was polite and talkative while he set you up to be stabbed? I hope he goes to jail for a long time.

I do have a question. You said this story would clear up the reason why the taser was used instead of the firearm. It sounds like the firearm would have been preferable, and perhaps would have been used if you had seen the knife. Was that the point, or did I miss something?

And again, I'm glad you're okay. Good luck with your recovery.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

RCMP Constable

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:41 pm

opp2 wrote:I don't think this happened to LongArm..I believe LongArm is forwarding on the story of the young officer from the previous page. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, that was how I read it as well.
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:38 pm

Sumo_CPO wrote:
opp2 wrote:I don't think this happened to LongArm..I believe LongArm is forwarding on the story of the young officer from the previous page. I could be wrong though.

:aye:

I've added a couple quote tags to the post, so others don't start to think that CBSA drive Police cars. ;)
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Luke101
Rookie Member

Postby Luke101 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Respond Wayne wrote:
Sumo_CPO wrote:

:aye:

I've added a couple quote tags to the post, so others don't start to think that CBSA drive Police cars. ;)

According to my research, all the police work is done by CSIs and novelists.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

RCMP Constable

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:03 pm

As much as I appreciate the story I'm not sure it should be published without the involved officer having put it here himself. I'd just had to see it come up should there be a complaint or an investigation against the member and insisted that it be used as evidence.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:32 pm

Please mods or Longarm, delete that story. There are some things in there which shouldn't be on the public side.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:33 pm

Longarm is talking about something from the news, and is only saying information which is very much in the public domain.

Besides, the post is two months old.
No longer with PPSC, but still 100% Crown Prosecutor.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:43 pm

I think you missed the post we're talking about. It's been removed. Thanks to whoever looked after that.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:40 am

PPSC Lawyer wrote:Longarm is talking about something from the news, and is only saying information which is very much in the public domain.

He had posted an account written by the officer involved, which is not supposed to be circulated outside of police circles because it contains information on tactics and equipment that we don't want advertised.

If I had my way we'd never again share this type of information with anyone except provincial and municipal police agencies.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Gard wrote:
PPSC Lawyer wrote:Longarm is talking about something from the news, and is only saying information which is very much in the public domain.

He had posted an account written by the officer involved, which is not supposed to be circulated outside of police circles because it contains information on tactics and equipment that we don't want advertised.

If I had my way we'd never again share this type of information with anyone except provincial and municipal police agencies.

There didn't seem to be any info there that was more sensitive than what generally gets talked about in the UoF forums. It seemed to me that the incident itself was already case closed and there wasn't any harm in forwarding the account for the benefit of officers on here. In any case, if I was in the wrong, then my sincere apologies. I didn't intend to cause any harm to the officer involved, of course.

Come to think of it, I really think the entire UoF forum should probably be LEO only.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:32 am

IrishCanadian wrote:The whole board could go LE only , with only a public applicant section.

That would take care of the SD problem, no? :D
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah