Police Shooting in Nanaimo: Press Release

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Police Shooting in Nanaimo: Press Release

Postby dira necessitas » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:30 pm

Minimum Wage Warrior wrote:I don't think wanting to cleanse the environment of other races makes you an environmentalist.

That should be post of the week! LOL
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Stump
Rookie Member

Postby Stump » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:20 pm

From the Nanaimo Daily News

System failed man killed by police: Friend
Before his death Jeff Hughes was agitated, depressed
Danielle Bell, The Daily News
Published: Wednesday, December 23, 2009
The week before he died, Jeff Hughes told a former employer that if the police visited again they would not take him alive.

"He told me he had a gun. I never saw it. I believed him," recalled Tyler Madison, 54, on Tuesday.

"He told me 'if they come to arrest me, they won't take me out of here in handcuffs.'"

Madison considered himself to be Hughes's mentor and friend, despite his strong opposition to Hughes's involvement with neo-Nazi groups. He last saw Hughes briefly a week before his death, and says the man he describes as intelligent, charming and funny, seemed depressed and agitated, and concerned about disputes with neighbours about noise. Madison feared at the time that Hughes was suicidal.

"I think that might have been him crying out for help," said Madison. "The social system failed him. People fall through the cracks."

After his death, almost no one came forward to talk about Hughes, 48, and relatively little was known about the man whose life would end in a rare police shooting.

Madison, who met Hughes when they both worked at a small Nanaimo IT firm, said Hughes was lonely, financially strapped and suffering from a lot of pain due to arthritis. He took painkillers and was on lifelong disability payments. He did not have a driver's licence and fixed the odd computer for a fee.

Hughes shared with Madison stories of a troubled life, including a struggle with drugs and alcohol while living on Toronto streets as a teenager, a brief jail stint, a stay in a psych ward.

He bounced from job to job and community to community, working as a chef and with computers.

He never married, had no children and no close family relationships, said Madison, adding Hughes was devastated two years ago when his cherished dog was put down.

Hughes found some companionship within the neo-Nazi community, said Madison, who suspects Hughes was only involved with certain groups because they accepted him.

" I don't think he was any more of a Nazi than you or I."

He recalls Hughes as a man who would give someone the shirt off his back if he could help.

His involvement with neo-Nazi groups brought Hughes to the attention of police. Madison said Hughes was unhappy about being visited by members of an RCMP anti-hate crime unit, who were reportedly looking into his alleged distribution of hate propaganda.

Police have yet to release much information about the shooting including how many officers were involved, how many times Hughes was shot and whether he had a weapon.

The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit is leading the investigation, which includes an independent observer with the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP. The inquiry could take up to a year.

DBell@nanaimodailynews.com

Could this be a "suicide by cop" ??

Stump

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:01 pm

I doubt it very much.

There are other non-press releases that possibly indicate that it may be a case of too much force too fast. There is so much more to this and until they are truthfully provided to the public, I won't comment further.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

vanislemountie
Rookie Member

Postby vanislemountie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:47 pm

I love the word "confrontation". Just invites media sharks, by omitting the fact that this guy was armed. I understand the need to not taint potential witnesses, but it sure leads to a shit kicking in the media.

Dudley DoRight
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dudley DoRight » Mon May 30, 2011 11:25 pm

The latest...we did nothing wrong but they are still going to do an enquirey

Nanaimo police won't be charged in shooting

Jeff Hughes died after he was shot outside his Selby Street Apartment

Danielle Bell, The Daily News
Published: Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Nanaimo RCMP officers will not be charged in the police-shooting death of a 48-year-old Nanaimo man.

Victoria Police major crime division detectives concluded their criminal investigation into the death of Jeffrey Scott Hughes, who was shot and killed by Nanaimo Mounties outside his Selby Street apartment on Oct. 23, 2009.

Police on Saturday announced there was no basis to recommend any criminal charges.
Officials said an "exhaustive" criminal investigation included interviews with dozens of witnesses, including the officers involved, and a detailed forensic examination of the scene.

"We didn't find anything based on the investigation, interviews or forensics that would warrant criminal charges," said Staff Sgt. Grant Hamilton on Saturday. "(Nanaimo RCMP) did everything they should have."

Nanaimo Mounties could still face discipline under internal RCMP reviews, said Hamilton, where sanctions can range up to dismissal from the force. The status of this investigation is unknown since they are conducted through the E-Division Professional Standards Unit. Victoria officials were tasked only with determining if there was anything that could warrant criminal charges.

Despite the conclusion, more than 18 months after the shooting, police refuse to release information including how many officers were involved, how many shots were fired and whether Hughes had a weapon.

Since an inquest into the death of Hughes has been scheduled, where a presiding coroner and jury will hear evidence from subpoenaed witnesses, police say they will not discuss the case.

Described by neighbours as a harmless man who loved the environment and dabbled in neo-Nazism, Hughes was shot and killed by police responding following a 6 a.m. noise complaint.

The coroner's inquest, announced in February, will hear evidence from subpoenaed witnesses to determine the facts surrounding his death. Officers and witnesses testify and the proceedings are open to the public.

Recommendations aimed at preventing such deaths can be made but the aim of a coroner's inquest, which is required for police-related deaths, is not to place blame but to identify any areas of improvement.

An inquest into the death of Hughes is scheduled in Nanaimo in July.

Police turned the case over to the B.C. Coroners Service, who will be the lead investigating agency.