Off Duty police powers

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
polarissucks
Rookie Member

Off Duty police powers

Postby polarissucks » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:38 am

In canada, what off duty policing powers do you have? If you are an off duty police officer and you see a drunk driver or a mugging, can you arrest them? Can you assist other police officers if you are a small detachment?

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Re: Off Duty police powers

Postby Respond Wayne » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:55 am

Take a boo over >>> HERE <<<
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

CPS24
Rookie Member

Postby CPS24 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:41 am

IrishCanadian wrote:In summation, police are never truly "off duty".

You reminded me of this (start from 3:15): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxHr3G2wGow :rolllaugh:
CALGARY POLICE SERVICE
Not yet...

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:19 am

Depends on the province I'm not sure what it's like in other provinces, but here in Ontario, the officers appointed under the police services act (All Municipal departments and the OPP) have full police officer status 24/7, 365 days a year.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

TacticsPT
Rookie Member

Postby TacticsPT » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:50 pm

Police have no powers when they are off duty, all police powers are contained in some sort of d"evice," very similar infact to the power ring that the Green Lantern wears. When police knock off for the day the "device" is stored in thier lockers until the next shift. Unless of couse the have obtained permission to take the device home with them and keep it under thier pillows next to thier heaters. I use the word device cause "it" changes from person to person. Magic morphing powers understand?. I cannot get into this any deeper with you until you have clearance from the Hall of Justice....or Jim Street

Jim Street
Poobah Overlord

Postby Jim Street » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:52 pm

He speaks the truth folks.

That's a good analogy actually, as whoever wears the green lantern ring of power is part of the "Green Lantern Corps" and therefore protector of whatever sector of the universe you live in. It's definitely a sacred trust.

This is also similar to Hercules and his magic ring and possibly He-Man's sword which holds the power of Greyskull.

But I digress. Theoretically, a police officer is sworn 24/7 only technically. If I'm not getting paid, I'm off duty.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Jim Street
Poobah Overlord

Postby Jim Street » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Wow man, that's the kind of powers I want!
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:42 pm

Ok boys, your supposed to send that seized evidence away for destruction *off site*.

TacticsPT
Rookie Member

Postby TacticsPT » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:25 pm

hahahahahaa that was good :D

polarissucks
Rookie Member

Postby polarissucks » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:12 am

hah thanks guys, i figured that you always had your policing powers, just making sure. Thanks for the answers, some of them gave me a laugh. :D

TacticsPT
Rookie Member

Postby TacticsPT » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:38 am

VanB wrote:
Jim Street wrote:He speaks the truth folks.

That's a good analogy actually, as whoever wears the green lantern ring of power is part of the "Green Lantern Corps" and therefore protector of whatever sector of the universe you live in. It's definitely a sacred trust.

This is also similar to Hercules and his magic ring and possibly He-Man's sword which holds the power of Greyskull.

But I digress. Theoretically, a police officer is sworn 24/7 only technically. If I'm not getting paid, I'm off duty.

I'm actually more like Doomsday. I'm always Doomsday, and can't really turn it off, even if I want to. I have an inherent hatred of all other living things. Everyone tries to kill me all the time, but I'm generally more powerful, and even if by some stroke of luck they beat me, I always come back stronger than before... forever.

HAHAH you super villans are all the same, you talk to much! Due to my super intelligence I have deduced your "kryptonite" Cats!, live cats to be precise!. Now my team of tight spandex wearing, mask using, cape having, fully grown adult men who perfer to be seen with young male "sidekicks" (also in tights) and who like to get into rough stuff need only figure out a way to use this infomation to defeat you.

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:20 pm

... you guys are weird. :crazy:

:alright:
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:42 pm

WorkingOnIt wrote:... you guys are weird. :crazy:

:alright:

You're only figuring that out now?
:wave: