Police Shoot Dead a man in Pompano Beach, Florida

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
bips
Rookie Member

Police Shoot Dead a man in Pompano Beach, Florida

Postby bips » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:44 pm

Heres something you guys might want to see if you haven't already!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=319_1222600011

POMPANO BEACH, Fla. -- April 24 2008

The Broward Sheriff's Office said a man was shot and killed during a standoff Thursday afternoon in Pompano Beach.

Police said Patrick Dellisanti was angry about his mother's association fees and got into an argument with employees at the Cypress Bend clubhouse about 2:30 p.m.

Dellisanti confronted two women working in the office, showing them he had a gun, police said. The women tried to reason with the gunman. One placed a phone call, secretly indicating that Dellisanti was armed and hostile and that 911 should be called, police said. The woman receiving the call got the message and did dial 911. At one point, police said, Dellisanti fired a shot at the floor.

As the SWAT team gathered outside and evacuated people in the area, the two women told Dellisanti that they would go to the bank with him to draw out the money that he needed. He agreed to the plan.

Police said he walked out of the clubhouse and pulled his gun when he saw the SWAT officers.

A witness told NBC 6 that he saw Dellisanti put a gun to his head, and then police fire several shots.

Dellisanti was pronounced dead at the scene.

The three SWAT officers who fired are on routine administrative leave pending an internal investigation
Last edited by bips on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli." George Costanza

North of 60
Veteran Member

Re: Police Shoot Dead Man in Pompano Beach, Florida

Postby North of 60 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:55 pm

I thought the headline meant that the coppers shot a fella who was already dead..... :mrgreen:

Horsemen911
Rookie Member

Postby Horsemen911 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:12 pm

North of 60 wrote:I thought the headline meant that the coppers shot a fella who was already dead..... :mrgreen:

Same here lol

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:18 pm

I wasn't there but it seemed pretty clear that the suspect motioned the gun to his head when he was shot by police. Yet the old guy in th background kept saying the guy shot himself. What does everyone else think?

bips
Rookie Member

Postby bips » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:42 pm

Bald Man wrote:I wasn't there but it seemed pretty clear that the suspect motioned the gun to his head when he was shot by police. Yet the old guy in th background kept saying the guy shot himself. What does everyone else think?

Looked to me he was aiming it on his own head with an intent to shoot himself, but that was reason enuff for the officers to go ahead and :pistols: :sniper:
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli." George Costanza

bips
Rookie Member

Postby bips » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:44 pm

North of 60 wrote:I thought the headline meant that the coppers shot a fella who was already dead..... :mrgreen:

hehe, there you go, its edited now!

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Police Shoot Dead a man in Pompano Beach, Florida

Postby Bald Man » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:42 pm

Sorry, I think you guys are reading too much into what I said. I'm not questioning whether or not police should have shot. Clearly they should have. The guy could have pointed the gun at the police and starting shooting in a split second. So, yes I think the police were totally justified in taking the guy out. I was just commenting on what the witness kept saying. He was there watching through binoculars and for some reason thought the guy shot himself. Yet his friends in the background kept telling him to shut up while trying to tell him the police shot him. But to me it looked like he brandished the gun (revolver I think) and motioning it to his head when police shot him. Funny how witnesses see things completely different from what actually happened even though they watched the whole event. I suppose shock and stress play a part in that.

Dirty Harry
Rookie Member

Postby Dirty Harry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:45 am

Man on tape:"you can sell that to the media"
Woman on tape:"yeah"

Their concern suddenly went out the window when a buck could be made eh?

Seemed to me he raised the gun, not at them which shouldn't matter, but didn't get a shot off at himself. Either way, police did what they were trained to do I'm sure.

DH
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

machine4321
Rookie Member

Postby machine4321 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:37 pm

"shut up Leo " ..........that is all