Taser used Properly; How About That?

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
ASGPS Sheriff
Rookie Member

Re: Taser used Properly; How About That?

Postby ASGPS Sheriff » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:16 pm

People must remember that the TASER is a "less then lethal" weapons it is not a "non lethal" weapon meaning it has the potential to cause death but is used rather then using deadly force. There are many other less then lethal weapons out there all of which people have died from ie: bean bag gun, rubber bullets, pepper spray...... etc.

If i had a familly member who had a psychosis and was not in there right mind and had a knife I would much rather the Police taser them than shoot them as they are justified in doing when officer safety and public safety is in danger.

I think the taser is a great tool if used properly by our Police Forces it has saved more lives then it has taken and for that I believe it is a necessary piece of equipment for Law Enforcement.

A.S.

Dudley DoRight
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dudley DoRight » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:21 pm

A letter from today's Victoria Times Colonist...it took a Doctor to speak the truth . Let's see if CBC, CKNW, CTV etc pick up on this one/ Any bets? Read on..

Choice to subdue Dziekanski right

December 20, 2008

I am not a police officer. I am a physician.

I have seen aggressive, psychotic individuals unable to be subdued by three or four burly, strong men, both in and out of hospital.

I have seen unstable individuals deprived of alcohol, nicotine, friends and in isolation (airplane), with an inability to communicate, in a confined space, turn into an aggressive psychotic individuals, unable to be subdued by four strong males.

The police did not have the luxury of medicines at hand as is the case in hospitals.

They had only the choice of being unable to subdue Robert Dziekanski or using the tools that were issued to them for just such an incident.

Their choice was correct.

Unfortunately, his aggression continued despite several Taser stuns, and he eventually died, but not from the Taser, according to the autopsy report.

I support the police in their actions, in this case.

Peter Richardson

Saanich
© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

jos1985
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby jos1985 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:18 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... eport.html

RCMP were right to use a Taser against an 82-year-old patient at a hospital in Kamloops, B.C., according to a new report from the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP.

An RCMP officer used a stun gun to subdue Frank Lasser after he allegedly threatened an officer with a knife at the Royal Inland Hospital in Kamloops in May 2008.

Lasser was a patient at the hospital when a nurse noticed early one morning that he had a knife and called security and eventually police. Three RCMP officers responded to the call.

"Throughout this incident, Mr. Lasser's behaviour could reasonably be described as posing a threat of grievous bodily harm or death," wrote Paul Kennedy, the chair of the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP, in the report released on Wednesday.

"It was only after repeated failed attempts to control Mr. Lasser through other means that RCMP members elevated their use of force to deploying the [conducted energy weapon]. Accordingly, I find that the use of the weapon was reasonable and justified under the circumstances," wrote Kennedy.

Lasser, who was in the hospital due to pneumonia, later insisted he was frail and his memory was impaired by drugs at the time, and the former prison guard suggested "a couple of guys" with a blanket could have easily subdued him without using a Taser.

But Kennedy found Lasser's recollection of events to be poor and said it was likely impacted by other factors, most notably his medication and the fact he was not receiving oxygen as ordered.

Kennedy also noted several unsuccessful attempts were made to disarm Lasser by both hospital security and RCMP officers.

At one point, Lasser turned in the direction of an RMCP member with the knife raised above his head and ready to strike downward, and as a last resort and fearing for the safety of a fellow officer, an officer deployed his Taser at Lasser, said Kennedy.

The commissioner also noted that since the incident the RCMP has reviewed and revised its guidelines on the use of Tasers.

"Overall, I am encouraged by the decrease of [conducted energy weapon] usage and increased restraint shown by RCMP members in the field," said Kennedy.

Flagstaff

Postby Flagstaff » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:33 pm

Police use force to subdue aggressive male

South Peace News

A Peavine man faces several charges after High Prairie RCMP used a Taser to subdue him during an incident in Peavine April 1.

High Prairie S/Sgt. Steve Daley says RCMP received a call reporting a man was destroying the Peavine Metis Settlement finance office.

“Police attended and found an intoxicated and agitated, large adult male at the reported location,” says Daley in a news release. “Attending officers approached the man advising him to calm down and get down on the ground. The subject allegedly refused to comply taking a combative stance and telling the officers he was going to fight them.”

The man appeared to be preparing to toss a can of beer at officers.

“At this point an RCMP officer drew a conducted energy weapon and directed the man to drop the can and get on the ground or he would be hit with 50,000 volts,” says Daley.

It is alleged the man threw the beer can at the officer’s head.

“The officer dodged the beer can and again gave direction to get on the ground or he would be hit with 50,000 volts,” says Daley. “The male again refused to comply and is further alleged to have attacked the officer who deployed the conducted energy weapon enabling the subject to be taken into custody without further incident.”

Charged is Jason Everett Stewart, 24, of Peavine, with three counts of break and enter and commit mischief, and single counts of assault with a weapon, assaulting a peace officer and mischief Under $5,000.

Stewart is scheduled to appear in High Prairie provincial court April 27 to enter a plea to the charges.

Damage to the Peavine Metis Settlement offices is estimated to be in excess of $10,000.

Police are also asking the public’s assistance. Anyone witnessing the incident is asked to contact High Prairie RCMP at 780-523-3378 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).

djlottawa
Rookie Member

Postby djlottawa » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:27 am

Guess this would be improper use of a taser. Damn I feel sorry for his partner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMEqcUIZlSw
Denis

djlottawa
Rookie Member

Postby djlottawa » Tue May 26, 2009 11:27 pm

Ok, I have seen lots of taser videos of folks who do it for training (yes I am bored) but this has to be the best one. Love the attitude of the guy after lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAKbplNGhDo
Denis