Taser used Properly; How About That?

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
MichaelJCaboose

Taser used Properly; How About That?

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Taken from the Chatham-Kent Police Service Press Releases on 4 August 2008:
http://ckpolice.com/news_view.asp?id=769
CK08029234 A potentially volatile situation at 9:00 p.m. in Blenheim Sunday evening was resolved peacefully after police were confronted by a male teen armed with a knife. The 18-year old man was despondent and highly agitated when police were called to the Wellington Street home, and had already injured himself with the knife. The teen, who was bleeding from at least two wounds to his arms, confronted officers outside the front of the house, and refused to drop the knife. As it appeared the situation could turn deadly a CIRT officer on scene deployed his Taser, which incapacitated the youth, knocking him to the ground. Officers were then able to get the knife from him and take him into custody. He was subsequently taken to hospital for treatment of the knife wounds and admitted under the Mental Health Act.

“Despite the recent controversy involving Taser weapons, in this case the potentially life-threatening situation was able to be resolved without injury to the young man or the officers involved by having this alternative to lethal force available…the young man was in a state of mind where he could not be reasoned with and in a matter of moments he may have caused further injury to himself or precipitated a potentially lethal response by police…fortunately the outcome was positive and the young man can now be helped with his issues by the medical profession…”
Wake up, gear up, work, go home, eat, sleep, repeat.

MichaelJCaboose

Re: Taser used Properly; How About That?

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:54 pm

Pretty much the truth there. I seem to remember there was a post earlier this week of an incident out west of the same nature that the Taser was deployed to save a life. Go figure.

Edit: This is not meant as a slam to the Taser or part of the growing Taser whiners out there. Im just noting the GOOD that a taser can do.

Sidenote: At CKPS in Chatham-Kent, only members of the CIRT (Critical Incident Response Team) carry the Taser. My question is this, should a taser be carried by all regular members or those with the tactical experience et al in smaller areas IE CKPS model? I know its a tool that is useful To ALL Members but it is a viable idea (minus the OPP and RCMP where waiting on a tactical officer can mean death).

Any input on this one?

MichaelJCaboose

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:24 pm

The title is blatant sarcasm - we are so used to hearing the 1% of the time a taser is deployed and something occurs later (thats right, I am saying there is no goddammed link to the freak deaths after the fact) that hearing it saving a young mans life in this case is a ray of sunshine that will be pushed to the bottom of the pile.

Note this: As far as I can find it never even was mentioned in our small town newspaper here; which goes to show if we don't tell people we use em, people can't start freaking out. Have our services become that sensitive or is that just PR Saavy? Not sure.

wazntme

Postby wazntme » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:43 am

I still think they should have shot the knife from his hand. Using the Taser is just to dangerous! :D

Dudley DoRight
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dudley DoRight » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:21 am

Is someone sending a copy of this to Amnesty and the BC CLU and the "unbiased" head of the YVR enquirey? I know it will never lead the news because it, and reality, runs contrary to what they say it does. :(

robbo

Postby robbo » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:54 am

MichaelJCaboose wrote:I know its a tool that is useful To ALL Members but it is a viable idea (minus the OPP and RCMP where waiting on a tactical officer can mean death).

Uhm... that's a huge assumption. When a big call comes in, not as big a deal in a larger centre, lots of members head that way and single officers don't rush-in. But when "routine" calls turn sideways... and you are in the middle of it; 5-10 minutes is a LONG time. Also, my experience even with on-duty ERT/SWAT/Tactical guys is that by the time they are out most of the bad stuff is long over.

Every patrol officer in CPS carries a taser; it's a requirement. I started without a CEW but like having it on my belt now as a force option.
"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted" - Seneca

MichaelJCaboose

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:59 am

robbo wrote:
MichaelJCaboose wrote:I know its a tool that is useful To ALL Members but it is a viable idea (minus the OPP and RCMP where waiting on a tactical officer can mean death).

Uhm... that's a huge assumption. When a big call comes in, not as big a deal in a larger centre, lots of members head that way and single officers don't rush-in. But when "routine" calls turn sideways... and you are in the middle of it; 5-10 minutes is a LONG time. Also, my experience even with on-duty ERT/SWAT/Tactical guys is that by the time they are out most of the bad stuff is long over.

Every patrol officer in CPS carries a taser; it's a requirement. I started without a CEW but like having it on my belt now as a force option.

I'm not advocating against it, that is prevalent from my previous posts. I'm just saying I'm unfamiliar with the way its deployed in different Services across the board. I do totally agree in most circumstances, when it has already hit the fan, its too late to call someone else in to use a CEW. In my own stance, I'd want to use it myself and be done with it and let the Tac Units be ready and waiting for what they need to be, not shocking a guy down.

Then again, I'm sure CKPS has more Use Of Force just short of CEW and Firearm than using CEW's. To be honest, that Is I think the 2nd time I've ever heard them deploy it.

robbo

Postby robbo » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:38 am

MichaelJCaboose wrote:I'm not advocating against it, that is prevalent from my previous posts.

I wasn't suggestion otherwise. :)
"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted" - Seneca

Rob
Grand Poobah

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:50 am

Here is a link to an story in the Windsor Star about the incident. I have attached a comment from one of thier more informed readers, along with my response to her.

GEMTue, Aug 5, 08 at 12:32 AM
This was not the proper use of lethal force. It once again shows how incompetent the police really are today. A properly trained police officer can remove a knife from anyone without the use of lethal force. The self congratulatory remarks by Police Commanders is pitiful. Any soldier who has been in combat would have been able to remove the knife. Today we have police officers who are poorly trained and have no respect for themselves or others. If you don't do as they command it time to use an instrument of force. Guess what would happen if your kid misbehaved.

RobThu, Aug 7, 08 at 12:38 PM
Gem, the police did not use lethal force. They used a taser and as a result were able to disarm and secure a mentally distraught male who was armed with a knife. It's easy to armchair quarterback on how things should be done in a perfect world, the reality is that it is extremely difficult to disarm a knife welding person without suffering an injury. Of course if your Chuck Norris it's not a problem....
'You sleep well in your bed at night only because a few rough men are willing to do violent things on your behalf"
George Orwell.

"Some times upholding the law is messy, but you get by, one day at a time"
Eric Cartman

Semper ubi sub ubi

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:37 pm

I just posted my 2 cents on the Windsor Star. haha :taser: :D

Flagstaff

Postby Flagstaff » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:19 pm

Man Tasered in standoff with High Prairie RCMP
Police say incident involved axe, sword and beverage cans

Herald-Tribune staff
Thursday May 01, 2008

A police chase and standoff early Monday morning outside of High Prairie that involved an axe and a sword ended with one man being Tasered and plenty of charges being laid.

High Prairie RCMP allege the incident started shortly after 1 a.m. when a man showed up outside the home of an ex-common-law spouse making threats while holding an axe before slashing her tires and leaving for the home of a male where the process was repeated.

A responding RCMP officer eventually tracked a suspect vehicle on Highway 750 between Gift Lake and Atikameg.

When the officer tried to pull the vehicle over, the driver first responded but then fled, prompting a chase for five minutes over 10 kilometres, with the driver throwing several beverage cans out the window along the way.

Eventually the driver stopped, but a standoff ensued for 40 minutes as he refused to leave the vehicle.

During this time, the driver attempted four times to ram the RCMP cruiser, but was unsuccessful.

Police say the driver then exited the vehicle twice, once with an axe which he threw at the cruiser (it fell well short), and a second time with a sword.

Eventually, more RCMP arrived and the suspect was chased into the bush, where he was surrounded by officers but allegedly still refused multiple times to surrender.

Police eventually Tasered the man before arresting him.

Dale Allan Lamouche, 36 of Atikameg is facing 13 charges, including assaulting a peace officer, impaired driving and criminal flight from police.

He is scheduled to appear in High Prairie provincial court Monday.
Last edited by Flagstaff on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Street
Poobah Overlord

Postby Jim Street » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:07 pm

Shoulda took two to the chest......lucky he is.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

North of 60
Veteran Member

Postby North of 60 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:43 pm

The taser is only bad when the coppers change the setting from stun to kill :mrgreen:

Dudley DoRight
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dudley DoRight » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:23 am

Meanwhile out here in lala land on the Wet Coast...headlines in the papers read...

B.C. man dies after being hit with Taser
Naked man, who jumped through window, was a suspect in an armed bank robbery
Catherine Rolfsen, Canwest News Service
Published: Tuesday, September 30, 2008

VANCOUVER - A man died in hospital Tuesday after smashing naked through a second-storey window and being hit with a Taser by Langley RCMP in an incident police believe was linked to an earlier armed robbery.

The bizarre incident occurred around 11 a.m. at a modest two-storey residence in Langley.

Cpl. Peter Thiessen said police received an earlier call of a robbery at a Royal Bank.
RCMP officers collect and photograph evidence in front of a Langley, B.C., home where a man was stunned with a Taser. He later died.
RCMP officers collect and photograph evidence in front of a Langley, B.C., home where a man was stunned with a Taser. He later died.
A man in his 40s, armed with a gun and acting violently, knocked over an old woman and fled with an undisclosed amount of cash, police say.

A witness saw the suspect run down an alleyway, and later followed a van that emerged, thinking it was the same man.

While talking to police by phone, the witness followed the van to a residence.

When police arrived at the home, they heard yelling between a man and a woman from inside, Thiessen said.

"It was believed that the armed robbery suspect was in the home," he said.

"At one point, an unknown male fell through, or broke through, a living room window from the second floor, landing on the ground below," Thiessen said. "He had severe cuts, lacerations, severe chest wounds."

The man was also naked, Thiessen said.

One police officer struggled with him, Thiessen said, but the man wouldn't obey police officers.

"The suspect then was attempting to flee back into the home, where we knew there was an adult female. We knew there was possibly a weapon associated with the armed robbery," he said. "So with the interest of public safety, and the interest of the potential victim inside the residence and the interest of officer safety, they utilized their conducted energy weapon."

The suspect was transported to hospital and later pronounced dead.

His cause of death is not yet known, and Thiessen said an autopsy is scheduled.

Thiessen said the woman who was in the residence was arrested for further investigation. It's not yet clear what happened inside and why the man fell from the window.

The investigation is being handled by the RCMP's major crimes unit with the support of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team. Thiessen said police have requested that Vancouver city police oversee investigation into the death.

The guy was an armed robber who assaulted an elderly woman, was stabbed in the chest twice by his accomplice girlfriend, jumped thru a glass door and fell 2 stories to the ground, wrestled with the Police and it is a TASER DEATH?????????????????????? Ya think any of the stabbings, glass door or 2 story fall MAY have had something to do with his cause of death. The BC media just get an orgasm any time a Taser is used here and immediately scream Cop Murder whenever it is used. :cuss: :banghead: :sniper: