CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Postby RemingtonSteel » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:31 pm

I'm not a member of the CBSA, but my views as a civilian are that I find it crazy to have students trained in 2 weeks and doing the same job as a BSO. When I re-enter the country I want my papers handled by a fully trained and experienced officer, its that simple. I'm not knocking the students themselves, hell as an LE hopeful myself if there was a border near me I'd probably have applied too, its just unfortunate that your management has put students in this position, but hey what do I know, at least this is the last year for the student program right?
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:35 pm

MikeR wrote:I'm not a member of the CBSA, but my views as a civilian are that I find it crazy to have students trained in 2 weeks and doing the same job as a BSO. When I re-enter the country I want my papers handled by a fully trained and experienced officer, its that simple. I'm not knocking the students themselves, hell as an LE hopeful myself if there was a border near me I'd probably have applied too, its just unfortunate that your management has put students in this position, but hey what do I know, at least this is the last year for the student program right?

Not quite. It is the last year for it at ports that are armed. With that being said the program should be complete dissolved within 2 years, I could however see them doing postal.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:37 pm

gotchya wrote:Not quite. It is the last year for it at ports that are armed. With that being said the program should be complete dissolved within 2 years, I could however see them doing postal.

I had to read that three times to be sure that it didn't say GOING postal.... :pistols:

/end irrelevant commenting
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

coondog
Rookie Member

Postby coondog » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:48 pm

Student use is supposed to be dwindled down immensly at any border point that has armed officers. Our port has approximately 60 student officers in 2002. In 2009, we are on track for 15. They do receive a 5 day defense tactic course as well as OC spray, baton, and handcuffs.

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:43 pm

Sumo_CPO wrote:
gotchya wrote:Not quite. It is the last year for it at ports that are armed. With that being said the program should be complete dissolved within 2 years, I could however see them doing postal.

I had to read that three times to be sure that it didn't say GOING postal.... :pistols:

/end irrelevant commenting

You right it didn't, one however could infer that a BSO at a postal facility wouldn't need to be armed. Thus, students could work there. :stupid:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:08 am

You don't think drug dealers and assholes go to the post office to pick up their smuggled drugs, guns, and whatever else contraband is shipped to them? Eventually - within 5-10 years - every BSO will be armed and the SBSO program will be long gone.
"One more thing..."

TacticsPT
Rookie Member

Postby TacticsPT » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:20 am

coondog wrote:Student use is supposed to be dwindled down immensly at any border point that has armed officers. Our port has approximately 60 student officers in 2002. In 2009, we are on track for 15. They do receive a 5 day defense tactic course as well as OC spray, baton, and handcuffs.

Ok, maybe I havent been paying attention or sleeping, stupid shouldnt be ruled out either. Are you saying that these students carry cop in a can?

Are they peace officers?

TacticsPT
Rookie Member

Postby TacticsPT » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:08 pm

So, student peace officers huh. I can see why some folks have problems with it.

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:09 pm

If I remember correctly Ontario Place Security also has OC. I think this goes back to when OPP was responsible for security at Ontario Place. :ponder:
ImageImage

TacticsPT
Rookie Member

Postby TacticsPT » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:16 pm

gotchya wrote:If I remember correctly Ontario Place Security also has OC. I think this goes back to when OPP was responsible for security at Ontario Place. :ponder:

Hmmm, that has my interest peaked i think ill look into it. Do these guys fall under the new security act? or any other act?

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:24 pm

TacticsPT wrote:
gotchya wrote:If I remember correctly Ontario Place Security also has OC. I think this goes back to when OPP was responsible for security at Ontario Place. :ponder:

Hmmm, that has my interest peaked i think ill look into it. Do these guys fall under the new security act? or any other act?

They are Ontario Place's private security. I could be wrong, but I for some reason remember them having OC. There is the Ontario Place Corporation Act, R.S.O. 1980.
ImageImage

TacticsPT
Rookie Member

Postby TacticsPT » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:59 am

I found the Act, there are no regulations attached to it let alone anything in the Act that indicates that they can have OC. If the are inhouse security then I dont see how they, as civies can have OC. Time for some super sluthing....which amounts to phone call

Gadget
Seasoned Member

Postby Gadget » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:54 pm

Welcome Coondog!

Glad to see you finally signed up after all these years!

Gadget
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.