Page 8 of 9

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:54 pm
by gotchya
virez wrote:I have no idea what you are talking about ... but I was among the top in my class for the written as well as the sim.

Later

I think, he's hinting at the fact that your post was filled with grammar errors and slang.

virez wrote:From what i know i was the only one who failed CDT in my intake (so it's rare) but I can also tell you guys i din't drop a tool neither did i hit any 1 with a "defensive" baton nor were my methods excessive !

So what did you do? Fail to get control of the situation? Didn't give them Rights and Cautions? Missed the concealed weapons, means of escape?

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:31 pm
by virez
gotchya wrote:
virez wrote:I have no idea what you are talking about ... but I was among the top in my class for the written as well as the sim.

Later

I think, he's hinting at the fact that your post was filled with grammar errors and slang.


I was just ignoring his statement as it has little to no relevance to the post and this is an online forum not a business proposal or anything of that importance.

gotchya wrote:
virez wrote:From what i know i was the only one who failed CDT in my intake (so it's rare) but I can also tell you guys i din't drop a tool neither did i hit any 1 with a "defencive" baton nor were my methods excessive !

So what did you do? Fail to get control of the situation? Didn't give them Rights and Cautions? Missed the concealed weapons, means of escape?


Nop did all that ... From the feedback i was given, i had 3 Needs Improvement (for those that don't know, 1 U or 3 NI = Fail). I did the A R C but apparently my reason for arrest was wrong (which it was had a brain fart), second NI was cause the subject got too close before i OC'd him (officer safety was compromised) this did happen but the subject didn't get his hands on me at any point ... but during the feedback i was told that the subject was walking slow WHAT IF HE WAS FAST .. so they r judging based on WHAT IF's now, the last reason was "professionalism" (this one i don't know where it came from as all the other assessors and instructors there thought i was very professional , in fact as i was being given the bad news the head CDT guy at Rigaud was there and told me how professional i was in handling the news (kinda wish i had shown him the NI that i was given for it).

Lemme also make it clear that by no means was my performance for the CDT assessment good but it wasn't bad enough to fail me for and this may sound like a failed guy trying to make himself feel better but let's just say had it been a different assessor i would have passed. This is especially frustrating since i had an overall rating of GOOD (80-90) for everything else throughout my time in Rigaud.

For those that are going to Rigaud note that your behaviour or effort for the duration of your stay there counts for nothing. Your facilitators opinion of you doesn't mean anything & all that matters is how you do on tht one day of the assessment. I was under the false illusion that if someone did perform poorly they would take the time to go back and look at the candidates overall performance and also talk to their specific facilitators.

That was my rant ... nothing will change ... 2 yrs wait but i seriously hope i don't have to go back !

Later

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:24 pm
by NorthernProtector
Don't have to go back???? Of course you have to go through it all over again. You don't get placed back in mid-intake.

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:43 pm
by El Conejo
virez wrote:I was just ignoring his statement as it has little to no relevance to the post and this is an online forum not a business proposal or anything of that importance.


As you replied to my comment I guess you can't really say you were ignoring me. Good grammar and spelling serves to make your posts easy to understand and allows a person to get a subtle or complex point across in a medium devoid of physical and social cues. This is especially important considering the volume of posts and "background noise" on this forum. So try and do everyone a favour and start with small steps like capitalizing "I" and adding on that challenging keystroke after the "b" to make "be"; which is what I presume you meant. You know, grade 3 stuff.

Back to the point of this thread. It is nice, and pleasantly surprising, to see Rigaud get it right for a change and cut loose a recruit who doesn't have what it takes. Enjoy your two years flippin' burgers. LOLZ

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:07 am
by Columbo
So succinct. So funny. So what I needed. :thumbsup:

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:17 am
by virez
NorthernProtector wrote:Don't have to go back???? Of course you have to go through it all over again. You don't get placed back in mid-intake.


haha ... i know that, what i meant was that hopefully by then i have a better career and don't have to go back to Rigaud. I am keeping this as my last option now ... if all else fails and 2 yrs have gone by then i might give this one last shot ... this wasn't a career choice for me to begin with ... it was a job that paid well.

To El watever ... i am not sure what you do for a living and neither do i care, i did make it all the way to Rigaud so i am more than capable of finding a job but if flipping burgers is what i have to do to pay my bills then thats what i shall do ... but given my qualification and experience i doubt i would be taking advice from someone who gets off by putting people down on a forum ... when will people learn to mind their F$%^ing business.

I can't stop you from posting but do us all a favour and only post when you have something relevant and informative to add to this topic.

Later

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:29 am
by gotchya
virez wrote:haha ... i know that, what i meant was that hopefully by then i have a better career and don't have to go back to Rigaud. I am keeping this as my last option now ... if all else fails and 2 yrs have gone by then i might give this one last shot ... this wasn't a career choice for me to begin with ... it was a job that paid well.

This post is filled with FAIL!

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:36 am
by Roconne
So what exactly is your career goal then... You were using CBSA as a 'temp' job just because it paid well?? Kind of glad Rigaud is filtering out guys like you.

If you can't pass CDT, then this might not be the right line of work for you.

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:45 am
by Columbo
virez wrote:To El watever ... i am not sure what you do for a living and neither do i care, i did make it all the way to Rigaud so i am more than capable of finding a job but if flipping burgers is what i have to do to pay my bills then thats what i shall do ... but given my qualification and experience i doubt i would be taking advice from someone who gets off by putting people down on a forum ... when will people learn to mind their F$%^ing business.


I believe the lexeme you're looking for is spelled "whatever." I know, that silent h sneaks up on the best of us sometimes.

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:58 am
by virez
"This post is filled with FAIL!"

Yea, i think it's good for everyone to get the complete picture and realize that candidates can be sent home because of CDT. I did not have to post here, however, i saw this post and figured it would be good to make people aware rather get a grammar lesson.

"Kind of glad Rigaud is filtering out guys like you. If you can't pass CDT, then this might not be the right line of work for you."

Thas rude, I wouldn't say that to my enemy let alone a stranger you know nothing about. I was hired seasonal & guaranteed 5 months each year, therefore not a career but a job that paid well. As far as the second statement, i didn't therefore i am not in this "line of work", however i did ace every other test and sim and was consistently good in class; CDT or not.

Later

When a thought takes one's breath away, a grammar lesson seems an impertinence.

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:52 pm
by SierraSeven
virez wrote:this wasn't a career choice for me to begin with ... it was a job that paid well.

This is where all of your problems started. We don't need someone that is here for the money, and it probably showed that you weren't all that interested.

Top of the class for your written exams? Congratulations, you're book smart; meaning you can research and memorize. That doesn't mean shit considering most of our job entails interacting with the public. And yes, CDT is based on the what-if's, because if you screw something up, it means that had the situation evolved slightly differently, you, a fellow officer, or a member of the public could have been injured or killed. It might be small beans to you because it was just that friendly can of pepperspray, however you throw a loaded firearm into the mix for every situation in which you are interacting with the public, or affecting an arrest, and things can turn out far far worse.

I've seen people fail the CDT component before, and they deserved every bit of that 'F' in the end. You've got weeks to work on your CDT, learning continually and receiving constant feedback about what you need to improve. It's evident that your skills weren't up to par, and you were unable to make a progression (evident from your three consecutive NI's). You can downplay the fact that you got sacked all you want, but I for one am glad that I don't have to babysit such a liability, as this is what would end up happening in the field.

To quote you:
virez wrote:Lemme also make it clear that by no means was my performance for the CDT assessment good but it wasn't bad enough to fail me...

That's an interesting statement considering you haven't been trained as a CDT instructor and have no idea the skill set or level or proficiency which would result in a pass or a fail. Obviously we are looking for a certain level of proficiency. You didn't have what we were looking for and got cut loose as a result. So basically we're looking for the good, you yourself stated you weren't in this category, and subsequently you're no longer with us. Keep all of this 'not bad enough to fail me' BS to yourself so you can get to sleep at night.

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:41 pm
by ArchAngel
virez wrote:haha ... i know that, what i meant was that hopefully by then i have a better career and don't have to go back to Rigaud. I am keeping this as my last option now ... if all else fails and 2 yrs have gone by then i might give this one last shot ... this wasn't a career choice for me to begin with ... it was a job that paid well.

As SS said...this is where your problems started. We had someone in my intake who felt like that. Luckily, his own actions were his downfall.
virez wrote:To El watever ... i am not sure what you do for a living and neither do i care, i did make it all the way to Rigaud so i am more than capable of finding a job but if flipping burgers is what i have to do to pay my bills then thats what i shall do ... but given my qualification and experience i doubt i would be taking advice from someone who gets off by putting people down on a forum ... when will people learn to mind their F$%^ing business.
Later

Would not be the first....nor the last time someone has fallen through the cracks. The recruitment system is not perfect and a lot of people get further than they should. Hell....some of them even make it all the way. I'm far from perfect but I'd like to believe that in addition to making it all the way through, my actions on the line will earn me respect (and bring value).

I may slack off in my writing every now and then but it is to a minimal extent. Being on a public forum does not mean an excuse to throw normal protocol out the window. As El conejo pointed out, proper writing helps others understand and can also help get your point across. The way I see it, the tone and contents of a message gives us a glimpse of the persons character (and sometimes knowledge); the way a person writes gives us a glimpse of his/her education level, training, thought process....however you would like to look at it.

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:46 pm
by Kopparoo2b
when will people learn to mind their F$%^ing business.


Well............you ARE posting your business on a public forum ............the opinions expressed on your business may not always be postive. If you don't want folks to comment, maybe don't post it.

I'm just saying........

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:10 am
by Borderwatchman
did all that ... From the feedback i was given, i had 3 Needs Improvement (for those that don't know, 1 U or 3 NI = Fail). I did the A R C but apparently my reason for arrest was wrong (which it was had a brain fart), second NI was cause the subject got too close before i OC'd him (officer safety was compromised) this did happen but the subject didn't get his hands on me at any point ...



Ever heard of cross contamination?!?!?!? The point is he was so close to you that any burst of OC would have affected your ability to deal with the situation effectively. Ever heard of de-escalation? Proper Risk Assessment? By letting your subject get too close to you you've compromised officer and public safety! 88)