CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
KerO96
Rookie Member

CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Postby KerO96 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:29 pm

I'm currently in the process with the CBSA to become a BSO. I have completed my interview and they are conducting my background and reference checks. I began all of my Firearms certs. while doing the safety course I met a girl who received in the mail that she must prove her
Standard 1st Aid/ CPR
PAL
Defense Tactics and Handcuffing...

I have looked many times and CANNOT find anywhere that offers this course... I hope someone can Help!

--confused
Applied: March/08
BSOT Written: June/08
BSOT Passed: June/08
Interview: July/08
Interview Results: Successful
CPR/First aid: Obtained
PAL: Jan/09
Security Clearance: Application Pending
Psychological Evaluation: Pending
POERT: TBD

PHB
King Poobah

Re: CBSA Defense Tactics & Handcuffing?!

Postby PHB » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:20 pm

KerO96 wrote:I'm currently in the process with the CBSA to become a BSO. I have completed my interview and they are conducting my background and reference checks. I began all of my Firearms certs. while doing the safety course I met a girl who received in the mail that she must prove her
Standard 1st Aid/ CPR
PAL
Defense Tactics and Handcuffing...

I have looked many times and CANNOT find anywhere that offers this course... I hope someone can Help!

--confused

I have not heard of anyone having to provide defense tactics and handcuffing! Those are things that are taught in Riguad. I am from Prairie Region where are you from? Have you been asked for handcuffing certificates? If you havn't been asked for it I wouldn't worry about it.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

SPC
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby SPC » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:34 pm

Hoodwinkle wrote:I am sure what the letter said was...her job offer would be dependant on passing the control & defense tactics otherwise known as use of force training. They don't require that as a prerequisite to the job but, if they fail that part of the training...they are gone.

I would imagine that "the control and defense tactics" is taught in Rigaud, and that successful completion is a requirement to getting hired on.
"When we act on behalf of others, we have no moral authority to forgive on their behalf, to allow evil for the sake of tolerance, or to turn the cheek of anyone but ourselves."

danoman
Veteran Member

Postby danoman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:28 am

I have never heard anything about taking a course along those lines before getting hired. CDT is a part of POERT and just like every thing else in Riguad if you fail......
For everything you need to know in life, watch the Lion King and read the Da Vinci Code.

danoman
Veteran Member

Postby danoman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:21 pm

Hoodwinkle wrote:Unless they are PBO (Pretend Border Officers or commonly known as Student Border Services Officers....except Irish)...then it is done within the region.

That hurts...deep down. :((
For everything you need to know in life, watch the Lion King and read the Da Vinci Code.

danoman
Veteran Member

Postby danoman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:30 am

IrishCanadian wrote:
But yes I've done CDT. My understanding of it , is that because I'm CDT certified, I just have to participate like everyone else in CDT training at Rigaud, I won't have to do another pass/fail sim for CDT.

It was my understanding that if you're bridging you do the 7 week course without CDT and OPT.

NorthernProtector
Seasoned Member

Postby NorthernProtector » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:47 am

I believe the 7 week program is history now. It was only intended to be used for the "rollover" terms.
A Veteran = Someone whether active, retired, or reserve who has in his/her past written a cheque made payable to "The People of Canada" for the sum of "Up To & Including My Life".

danoman
Veteran Member

Postby danoman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:14 pm

I have a feeling there might be a few bridged students that are going to be mighty choked when they actually find out that it's 9 weeks.

Borderwatchman
Grand Poobah

Postby Borderwatchman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:18 am

They will send you for CDT training and it is mandatory you pass. Don't sweat it. They will tell you when/where to show up.

Since it was brought up, I'll throw my 2 cents in. If I had my way there would be no PBOs/Students on the frontlines. Maybe in the back doing clerical stuff, postal, or EDIs....but that's it.

danoman
Veteran Member

Postby danoman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:38 am

Borderwatchman wrote:Since it was brought up, I'll throw my 2 cents in. If I had my way there would be no PBOs/Students on the frontlines. Maybe in the back doing clerical stuff, postal, or EDIs....but that's it.

But then I would be out of a fun job. Not to imply that I don't take my job seriously, I quite enjoy doing it and have every intention of doing it for a while.