SPEED CUFFS

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
englishman

SPEED CUFFS

Postby englishman » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:55 pm

When I was a Bobby in England we used SPEEDCUFFS

These are a great use of force option and I am amazed the North American market has not jumped all over these, especially now they are available over here.

You have complete control over a client when using them, something you do not have with chained cuffs. They are also more difficult to put to the front when cuffed behind the back of the client.

I have put this on the forum board to obtain feed back and opinons. I am thinking that most are not aware of them.
There are no problems just solution start points

SmokeY
Rookie Member

Postby SmokeY » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:10 pm

I was told by a store owner, I believe in Calgary, hwo effective they are, although she had not recieved much interest in them.
SmokeY

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:22 pm

We've used them as long as I've worked in courts. We normally use them on noncompliant individuals the most. You have an excellent degree of control over the subject with them. A simple tweaking of the cuff is often enough for instant compliance. I find the chained cuff a little easier for "active" cuffing, though.

CO

Gadget
Seasoned Member

Postby Gadget » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:55 am

We used them at Pearson Airport (dunno if they still do), but referred to them as "transport cuffs". We would switch to these units if we had to move the subject back and forth from the "loo room" or if we had to take them to hospital.

We were taught an effective way to "cuff out front" to allow the subject to have water or make phone calls without giving them the ability to use the cuff for strangling or being able to fight.

Excellent for using leverage in a takedown or pain compliance!!!!!

Do they still make them???? I'd love a pair.
NO! I don't know when they're hiring dammit! No one does.

HEAT

Postby HEAT » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:04 pm

I used them when I was with Brantford PS; they are issued to every officer at BPS. I did find though that they rusted very quickly and had to be sprayed with WD40 every now and then. Great control and LOTS of complaints from clients about them...
"In God we trust...for everyone else, check CPIC"

FHG1644

Postby FHG1644 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:21 am

I did an exchange with the Metropolitan Police in London, England last year, and I fell in love with the quick - cuffs. I would give my left n... okay, I'd really like to be issued these. I have a pair that I acquired from the Met's police college. They so much more effective, particulary for the PPCT method of handcuffing. The control is great. Love them. I wish Ontario would consider them.
I do think there is an issue, though of how to carry them on the belt. UK coppers seem to carry them where your gun would be.
Bunk: [to McNulty] That will teach you to give a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:38 pm

Surely someone could design these to fold for storage, but lock in place when opened.

Kieran Huggins
Site Admin

Postby Kieran Huggins » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:15 pm

Les is quite bold about this...

Howard
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Howard » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:37 pm

After seeing how Les bit poor Churchill's head off :lol: and now this, I'm convinced that Les is undergoing an undue amount of stress and it's probably all Kieran's fault..... :lol:

...just kidding... :shock:

ChallengeDriven
Veteran Member

Postby ChallengeDriven » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:41 pm

Les ... SO what you are trying to say is.. DO not post links.. is that it???????????????????? :roll:

*kidding* lol :wink:

desk guy

Postby desk guy » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:09 am

Seems like one of those moments I'm glad I'm a computer idiot! Wouldn't know where to start in posting a link. Barely know what a link is. For those kind folks who feel an urge to enlighten me, I DON'T NEED TO KNOW!!

I'm gonna put a care package together for Les, You know, stress pills, free decaf coffee coupons, rubber hammers/bricks, free session with a counsellour :D :D.

Hang in there Les. Weekend is one more day away!

cheers,

dg

Storm
Rookie Member

Re: SPEED CUFFS

Postby Storm » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:32 pm

Speedcuffs are great, but not for all situations. They are definitely a wonderful option though.
They are extremely painful (especially when the client is sitting in a carseat with his/her hands behind his/her back). Anyone that has hand them applied, knows how much more painful they are. This is great for pain compliance, but not always the best option.

:)

Jim Street
Poobah Overlord

Postby Jim Street » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:04 pm

Is this a record?

A FIVE YEAR post revival

We have a winner. :P
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:37 pm

:aye:

A weiner indeed...

LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)