what kind of martial arts?

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
Davo
Rookie Member

Re: what kind of martial arts?

Postby Davo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Ok, I might have missed the boat but I'll weigh in here.

In order I started out with kung fu, japanese jujitsu, karate, JKD/FMA, aikido and muay thai. I was trying to find something that would work for me at work and as much as I enjoyed my training I was having to significantly modify everything to assist with control and restraint and to remain within our use of force guidelines.

At that point I started looking around at short courses that were purpose built for Policing/Corrections/Security and Military. Most were based around PPCT, Monadnock, SPEAR, Military CQC derivatives, Jim Wagners RBPP, Keysi Fighting Method etc. What I found was basically three schools of thought - the traditionalist approaches usually built around Japanese joint manipulations, the intellectual systems based around medical, psychological and legal terminology and finally the reality based self defence crowd that focused on scenario training, often with responses that weren't the most appropriate for law enforcement.

I determined that I should probably start my own school to train a combination/distillation of material and my interpretation of the way that police/corrections and security should train, while still continuing in my own personal professional development training. So I began designing a program built around covering up, closing with and controlling the offender with the options to disengage or employ tools anywhere in the altercation.

I'd only taught a handful of lessons and was still shaking out the curriculum when I attended a course based around the needs of the officer that drew upon a handful of functional and fully integrated skills from greco, muay thai, judo and bjj. For the first time in my career I realised that I had found something truly functional and innovative. Although I had recently begun on a similar strategy, there was no doubt in my mind that these guys were decades ahead of where I was. Fast forward some years later and I'm now heavily involved with that program (ISR Matrix), although I do attend 2-3 other short courses per year with other providers to keep abreast of developments in the industry and seek out continuous improvement in training methodology, borrow analogies and drills and so forth.

My current DT's training has become the base of my martial arts/combat sports. I won't adopt any martial arts techniques that won't pass the pressure test and can't fully integrate with my DT's. ISR Matrix has become a reality filter for what and how I train martial arts and combat sports. Basically my DT's has become my martial arts.

sonikstorm
Rookie Member

Postby sonikstorm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:30 pm

Seems that this thread is closed. Excellent post Davo.
What are your thoughts on Krav Maga?

Davo
Rookie Member

Postby Davo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:48 pm

sonikstorm wrote:Seems that this thread is closed. Excellent post Davo.
What are your thoughts on Krav Maga?

I attended some Krav instructor courses years ago and enjoyed them because they were more or less a compressed revision of all the other martial arts that I'd trained in at one time or another. It was interesting to see their interpretation and presentation of those movements, how they manage a large class and how they run their drills. I think you can find something of use in most systems that you can either use outright or modify to suit your needs to help to make you a more well rounded instructor. That said, I've moved away from trauma based combatives training and I now train with an entirely different skillset that better supports the role and goals of a LEO so I can't see myself teaching Krav to my students anytime soon. That's not to say that I won't go and attend another Krav course and some stage just to hit things for fun for a few days though. :boxer:

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:37 pm

Curious to know where you're based?
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Davo
Rookie Member

Postby Davo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:42 am

Kopparoo2b wrote:Curious to know where you're based?

Australia mostly. If you are seeking out training with someone of similar mindset and training in Canada I know of a few good guys up that way.

sonikstorm
Rookie Member

Postby sonikstorm » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:23 am

I am.. But, I'm currently finishing up highschool to start the career path, and doing nightclub security to make a bit extra.
Which means, I have no money :(

or, very little money.

Where would you suggest I go to get a good workout?

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

RemingtonSteel
Veteran Member

Postby RemingtonSteel » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:29 pm

sonikstorm wrote:I am.. But, I'm currently finishing up highschool to start the career path, and doing nightclub security to make a bit extra.
Which means, I have no money :(

or, very little money.

Where would you suggest I go to get a good workout?

I just workout outside, I use the local park. I do a couple laps around the soccer field, drop down and do max pushups/situps and pull ups off the soccer goalposts, do another couple laps, max reps for pushups/situps/pullsups again. Repeat several times.
If a man speaks his mind in the forest and a woman doesn't hear it, is he still wrong?

Whenever I feel sad, I just stop being sad and be awesome instead - true story

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:31 am

Check out "Crossfit Stoneycreek" website. They have a PDF file with a huge listing of workouts you can do with little (pull up bar or rings) or no equipment.

"Crossfit Juila" also offers "Crossfit workouts on the road" section, that also require no equipment.

I think you'll find both sites will offer plenty of variety of workouts and ones that will kick ya' in the butt.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:04 am

You should post this info in Vitality DW....
kopparoo2b

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:52 am

You should post this info in Vitality DW....

I could, but that would just make sense! :smirk:
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:04 pm

lol
kopparoo2b

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Musashi wrote:http://www.theprovince.com/news/YouTube+duty+Mountie+makes+citizen+arrest/8499308/story.html

Ahh, so that's where VanSmack's "Sweeping the leg" motto comes from...

Gotta love how (what appears to be) the security guard standing RIGHT THERE lends a hand... NOT!
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Tony-Boogie
Rookie Member

Postby Tony-Boogie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:40 pm

My answer would be any marital arts. Like many other people have posted, learn what you can for baseline reasons, fitness, discipline, confidence, knowledge of body mechanics.

BUT, and this but is huge, Kardashian huge:

When you are taught UoF, from whatever agency that picks you up, THAT is what you use and the techniques you apply. It's a CYA thing. When you fight Carl the criminal and break his spine then end up on the stand being sued and they ask you what UoF techniques you used and you answer, "I took a Black Arts class and learned this sweet Sentry takedown from an ex Army guy so I came up behind him and lifted him by the beltline and smashed his face into the ashpalt"... you're gonna have a bad time.

With that in mind, the styles that complement police techniques are not the striking methodologies, but the body control ones. Davo's post goes into great detail about them. Find a style that trains your weaknesses. Also, read the book Verbal Judo, it might help you not have to use the fancy leg sweep.
He said I was a POG, I said he's resisting arrest...