what kind of martial arts?

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
Whitebrown
Sage Member

Re: what kind of martial arts?

Postby Whitebrown » Sat May 14, 2011 5:54 pm

Going to start judo again, hopefully with the Vancouver PD club. Need to take something since it took nearly 2.5 years to get a personal safety refresher course through work. :shock:

Rugger
Rookie Member

Postby Rugger » Mon May 16, 2011 10:15 am

Good training vid on chokes for you all...

wait for it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd9Ny2ED ... r_embedded

squarestar
Rookie Member

Postby squarestar » Tue May 17, 2011 1:16 am

Kopparoo2b wrote:I have those as well...I think the basic principle is, don't limit yourself to one way of thinking ( tunnel vision) or 'training'. Everything has it's 'place' depending on situation.

....hang on, I'm feeling awfully thirsty all of a sudden :dubious:

bbs..

:wave:

Haha. You put water in your body, IT BECOMES YOUR BODY.
Be Water my friend.

Overcome
Rookie Member

Postby Overcome » Thu May 19, 2011 2:45 pm

Rugger wrote:Good training vid on chokes for you all...

wait for it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd9Ny2ED ... r_embedded

The most valuable lesson there is not the choke!!

Musashi
Rookie Member

Postby Musashi » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:21 am

I went to a Brazilian jiu-jitsu tournament a few weeks back. There was a large inner-city academy there with a strong showing of fighters...A few of them were products of their at-risk youth program. These kids were really good and represented their academy brilliantly. Some did VERY well in the competition... They were all young, athletic and highly motivated. I hope that bjj continues to provide a positive outlet for these kids and helps them put their energy into positive self improvement as opposed to gangs and drugs. Unfortunately in the event that even a small percentage of these kids fall off of the bjj path, and are lured into criminal activity, they will present a real challenge to the officer who has to arrest them in the event that they have future brushes with the law...if they are non-compliant...They are trained fighters now.

Compliant bad guys, no problem, departmental use of force training will give you all the training you need...

Officer: "put your hands behind your back!"
Bad Guy: " Okay, no problem, I don't want any trouble.."

Piece of cake!!

When the perp looks you in the eye and says, "I'm not afraid of you or your f***ing uniform...let's see what you got.." Different scenario..What are you going to do? Are you confident in your skill set and ready to go hands on with this guy? Officers need to train and train hard! Pick your art and commit to it. If you decide to wait until September to start into something, the bad guy who is training already has another month on you. If you wait till the new year, he has 6 months on you. If you wait until you get back from that winter cruise in March..well you get the idea..

Stop talking and start training guys...

Stay safe!

Jim Street
Poobah Overlord

Postby Jim Street » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Who are you and what do you do?
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:09 pm

Really who calls accused or arrested persons 'perps'? I mean other than on TV.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:09 pm

given his user name, I'll go with Sumo wrestler.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:33 pm

meathead1 wrote:given his user name, I'll go with Sumo wrestler.

Hey! Don't lump me in with the noob!

FYI, "Musashi" was the name of a famous swordsman in Japan. Nothing to do with sumo wrestling.:D
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:09 am

Jim Street wrote:Who are you and what do you do?

According to his only other post he has 12 years on the job.....not sure what job.

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:56 am

Jim Street wrote:Who are you and what do you do?

Easy there Arnold. :P
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Jim Street
Poobah Overlord

Postby Jim Street » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:57 am

That's......."Who is your daddy and what does he do?"

"I'm a cop you idiot"

"My name is detective John Kimble"

Now back to the question....
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Rugger
Rookie Member

Postby Rugger » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:11 am

Musashi wrote: If you decide to wait until September to start into something, the bad guy who is training already has another month on you. If you wait till the new year, he has 6 months on you. If you wait until you get back from that winter cruise in March..well you get the idea..

Stop talking and start training guys...

Stay safe!

Length of time training does not correlate directly into skill. I know plenty of people who train once a week. Their skill has not improved or advanced in quite some time.

Musashi
Rookie Member

Postby Musashi » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:36 pm

It looks like my post has created a bit of a stir. To answer all of your questions starting with Jim and Madeline's..I am new to the forum as you can see from my 2 (now 3)posts. I've been training in martial arts for 20 years..For the last 6 years it's been all BJJ and a bit of boxing here and there..I got my BJJ purple belt about a year ago..Before that I practiced judo and aikido.I've got dan ranking in both...I've been a cop for 12 and worked a total of 7 years in patrol in Toronto and another GTA force where I am currently employed. I've been working in a plain clothes unit for the last 5.

I am guessing that my comment "stop talking and start training" has caused some discomfort on the forum maybe?? That's good. It's raised some attention on the threat. I am not pointing fingers at anyone in particular but the harshness of this may be tough to swallow for the "talkers". Hey, the truth hurts..Some of the guys here are avid martial artists, I am certain of that. I am not telling you guys anything you don't already know...Have any of you canvassed your districts, divisions, detatchments, whatever they call your shop? How many guys actually train in anything? 10%?? If you are on a tac team or in a training branch it may be higher...That's sad..

Ruggan, I agree with you 100% . Length of training does not correlate directly into skill. If you want to be good at anything, once a week doesn't cut it...golf, hockey, piano, you name it! Consistant training is key...Once a week makes you the grappling dummy or punching bag for the guys who are on the mats or in the gym 4-5 days a/week. But hey, once a week is better than never. That's the point I am trying to make here... If you are gutting through even one workout session a week and you have to dig deep that's a great thing...but more training is better. I won't waste a second debating this art or that art..I say pick what you like, find good instruction, sensible training partners, train hard, train smart and tuck your skills away in the event that you need them down the road...

In my humble opinion..

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:50 pm

Well, it's good advice anyways....
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"