what kind of martial arts?

Discussion, questions on police use of force procedures.
CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Re: what kind of martial arts?

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Rex Kwon Do is clearly your best option for law enforcement. And it can generally be mastered in a six week program. Can be costly, however.

CO

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:11 pm

Just break the wrist and walk away. Works every time.

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:01 am

I love the glasses... :thumbsup:
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:11 pm

...and the pants. :thumbsup:

PPSC Lawyer
Rookie Member

Postby PPSC Lawyer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:34 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:Rex Kwon Do is clearly your best option for law enforcement. And it can generally be mastered in a six week program. Can be costly, however.

CO

That joke was made four years ago in this very thread.

Life really is a giant circle, isn't it...
No longer with PPSC, but still 100% Crown Prosecutor.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:31 pm

And the funny thing is, CO was Mr. Serious Answer Guy back then, and now he's cracking the Rex Kwon Do jokes!

Musashi
Rookie Member

Postby Musashi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:37 am

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2011/04 ... -pummeling

Here's an article from the San Franscisco Examiner that fits perfectly into this post.

I'm a long time reader of Blue Line but new to the Forum. 12 years on the job and an avid martial artist, I have a sincere belief that every copper that puts himself out there to serve and protect owes it to himself, his family and his platoonmates to be fit and trained. Sadly, from my experience on the road and in squads with 2 different large municipal services, guys spend more time talking than training any form of martial arts.

Don't kid yourselves for a minute. The annual day or half day training we receive from our departments is about as in-depth as a YMCA kids camp. Department time and budget constraints leave the onus on training to the individual officer. I've heard collegues on many occasions say, "I don't need martial arts..If a guys did so-and-so to me, I'd just go crazy!!...or I'd pepperspray him" Hey, crazy doesn't cut it! With MMA gyms popping up everywhere, bandits are honing their skills. I challenge all of you to find a gym in any big city in Canada that doesn't have at least 1 guy with an FPS for violence. The bad guys are training and some of them take training very seriously..Don't under-estimate that scrawny kid in the Tapout shirt with his cap on sideways. He could be a mouthy little poser who can't back up his trash talk...or he might train 6 days a week, have mma fights or (countless street fights) under his belt and be looking to make a name for himself at your expense. Not everyone respects the uniform.

Coppers need to train. Pick your stream.. boxing, wrestling, bjj, karate, whatever...cross train, work strength and conditioning and be sharp...Train smart, train hard and train for survival!!

I hope the two San Fran coppers in the story above reflect on their situation, thank the guy that saved their asses and seek out some martial arts training..

Stay safe.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Musashi wrote:...Don't under-estimate that scrawny kid in the Tapout shirt with his cap on sideways. He could be a mouthy little poser who can't back up his trash talk...or he might train 6 days a week, have mma fights or (countless street fights) under his belt and be looking to make a name for himself at your expense...

Welcome to the Forum!

I've seen the odd video on YouTube depicting exactly what you type about, also spoke with an OPP Officer who witnessed his very large & well built partner get his bell rung up on the 427... You just never know what people have up their sleeve!
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:37 am

Kopparoo2b wrote:Hey (Gard).. I know a bit about horses sooo, if you want to fine tune your skills...OR make sure you're doing things correct before hand.... I MAY be willing share knowledge.... :twisted:

Pencil me in!
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:52 am

To the original question.
Answer Muay Thai, why you ask??? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LtR-3vbfhU two words -Tony Jaa- :boxer:
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

what would farva do
Rookie Member

Postby what would farva do » Tue May 10, 2011 7:35 am

... Parkour ... the art of running away. jk :D

but seriously though - what ever happened to 'jeet kune do'

that was a sort of hybrid martial art, i used to have a book on it, had some really good techniques in it.

PCkru
Rookie Member

Postby PCkru » Sat May 14, 2011 1:02 am

what would farva do wrote:... Parkour ... the art of running away. jk :D

but seriously though - what ever happened to 'jeet kune do'

that was a sort of hybrid martial art, i used to have a book on it, had some really good techniques in it.

It still exists in some schools teaching it as a supplementary art but it would be difficult to find a school teaching just "Jeet Kune Do" mainly because of business reasons/not as many people are familiar nor would prefer that over say the more popularized sport of MMA. Jeet Kune Do is effective and it is mostly taught in Kung Fu schools or MMA gyms that offer a wide variety of arts. Hope that helps!
Reality is fake, dreams are for real.

squarestar
Rookie Member

Postby squarestar » Sat May 14, 2011 2:24 am

I own the books on Jeet Kun Do written by Bruce Lee, and his philosophy is that you can't really 'set' a certain boundary for a martial art and rather it has to be all encompassing (borderless) and formless (like water :) )
So I would think the closest thing that comes to his definition of Jeet Kun Do would be cross training various martial arts, a la MMA.
I am not against practitioners of JKD or anything like that, but I am just a little bit bothered when I come across videos/information about JKD schools or '8th degree JKD black belt' persons..
I don't think Bruce Lee would have meant JKD to be taught in that sense (considering his philosophies), but nevertheless it is good that people are still attempting to follow his footsteps and training the body as well as the mind, whatever 'martial art' it may be.
:offtopic:
just random thoughts.. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USlnfTGlhXc
Be Water my friend!

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Sat May 14, 2011 7:39 am

I have those as well...I think the basic principle is, don't limit yourself to one way of thinking ( tunnel vision) or 'training'. Everything has it's 'place' depending on situation.

....hang on, I'm feeling awfully thirsty all of a sudden :dubious:

bbs..

:wave:
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

PCkru
Rookie Member

Postby PCkru » Sat May 14, 2011 12:38 pm

Kopparoo2b wrote:I have those as well...I think the basic principle is, don't limit yourself to one way of thinking ( tunnel vision) or 'training'. Everything has it's 'place' depending on situation.

....hang on, I'm feeling awfully thirsty all of a sudden :dubious:

bbs..

:wave:

Agreed.
Reality is fake, dreams are for real.