Police Foundations

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Boxer Dogs
Lord of the Poobahs

Police Foundations

Postby Boxer Dogs » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:00 pm

Seems like a shady school. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5104871
Discovery Community College has had its knuckles rapped by the province for "false or misleading" advertising of its police foundations program — a $20,000 course the college website says gives students "the skills to pursue a career as a law enforcement professional."

Some ex-students launched lawsuits in October alleging the value of the course was "misrepresented" and that they were "misled" into signing up.

Now an investigation by the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB), part of the B.C. Ministry of Advanced Education, has found the college contravened a section of the Private Training Act that prohibits "advertising or … representation that is false, deceptive or misleading."

A separate review by the trustee of the province's Student Tuition Protection Fund also found a former student of the program was "misled" by Discovery Community College (DCC).

That student, Gurleen Walia, is delighted with the findings.

"This will raise awareness for anyone wanting to join the police program [to] know what they are getting into," says Walia.

DCC offers the 54-week program at three of its campuses located in mini-malls in Surrey, Nanaimo and Campbell River.

In this October 2018 photo, Discovery Community College promotes its police foundations program in a sign outside its Surrey office. (Eric Rankin, CBC)
Ministry 'directed the college to make changes'

The ministry says it doesn't release specific compliance orders due to the potential economic harm to the businesses involved, but states it "directed the college to make a number of changes related to their advertising of the police foundation program."

It notes DCC acted before the formal compliance order could be issued, so the ministry "considers the contravention to be remedied."

Discovery Community College says it doesn't believe it misled anyone — but has made changes to its promotional material to end "potential confusion" over the course.

Students alleged they were 'misled,' 'duped'

The finding of false or misleading advertising comes after three former students filed small claims lawsuits last fall, alleging they were "misled" and "duped" into entering the police foundations program.

They claimed the college promised them "a rewarding career in police services" upon completion of the course, but the students contacted multiple law enforcement agencies and alleged "all of them denied any kind of … acceptance of this program."

The only certification students receive upon graduation is for basic security training which can be obtained online through the Justice Institute of B.C. for just over $350.

It entitles the holder to apply to become a security guard.

The career college claims the vast majority of its graduates find work. (Eric Rankin, CBC)
In late October, DCC said it believed the complaints were without foundation and filed legal responses denying "it made the representations alleged."

But the college has now reached settlements with two of the three ex-students saying the terms are confidential.

'It was not easy to pay what they took from me'

Walia, 23, is the third former enrollee to challenge the college and still has an outstanding small claim.

She wants to recover the $7,000 payment she made towards the $20,000 program before she quit last year. She has already won a partial victory from the Private Training Institutions Branch which awarded her a $2,500 refund.

"The Trustee of the Student Tuition Protection Fund has determined, after a review of … your complaint, you were misled by Discovery Community College," writes the branch.

The trustee found Walia had received some benefit from her studies, hence the partial refund.

But she has refused to accept the money, instead pressing on with her lawsuit against the college.

"I'm very determined," says Walia. "I feel like I should be getting that back, because it was not easy to pay what they took from me."

"I want the full amount, a full refund, not a partial."

Walia's allegations have yet to proven in court.

'We do not believe anyone ... has been misled'

Despite both rulings, a college spokesperson downplays the findings.

"Although we do not believe that anyone has actually been misled about the [police foundations] program, when the issue was raised last year, we undertook a review of our material to ensure that there was no potential for confusion on anyone's part," writes Krista Livingston Clark in an email to the CBC.

"[The] PTIB did not order us to take any specific action, as it stated that the contravention … has been remedied," says Livingston Clark.

Discovery Community College has now revamped the promises made on its police foundations recruitment web page.

It added a new section marked with asterisks stating "completion of this program does not guarantee entry into any law enforcement or regulatory enforcement profession."
My opinions are my own and do not reflect my agency.

IndictableChaser
Grand Poobah

Re: Police Foundations

Postby IndictableChaser » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:34 pm

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say this:

Those students deserved what they got. Anyone who sees a private college that claims to be some sort of unique PF program, is charging 20k for 10 months and doesn't realize it's a scam, definitely deserves what they got.

I would love to know how many of those people ended up getting into any police services with that program alone. I would take a strong, educated guess at zero.

20k is enough to get a degree from almost any university in Canada. They were looking for an easy way out and to fast track a process that takes years in personal development and education.

I hate police foundations as a program. I was in it. I think it's useless. I learned far more in my time at Uni and doing the trades than I ever did in that cash-grab. This is a microcosm of why; people are duped into thinking that this program somehow qualifies you to be LEO based on some silly, superficial lessons.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:47 am

A big clue is a "college" operating out of a "mini mall" and not a legitimate college campus.

Just sayin'.

Hattie
Seasoned Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Postby Hattie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:34 pm

I hate police foundations as a program. I was in it. I think it's useless. I learned far more in my time at Uni and doing the trades than I ever did in that cash-grab. This is a microcosm of why; people are duped into thinking that this program somehow qualifies you to be LEO based on some silly, superficial lessons.
In my experience with recruiting, almost any other type of post secondary training is deemed to be superior any way for more competitive agencies. But if you are going to do it, then go through an accredited university/college/program. So I agree with you.

--

If you want to stand out to recruiters, get certified in something you can use in a variety of settings not just in enforcement. Such as a business diploma. That's why my university in the States pioneered a hybrid degree between Criminal Justice and Public Administration: because CJ degrees were considered a dime a dozen to recruiters. I.e. only useful later on in your career for promotions.

Oh well. I consider it a big first lesson: read the fine print carefully when it comes to 'certifications' and check with potential employers, if possible, regarding their acceptance of such. Training/certifications mean diddly squat if they aren't recognized by your employer.
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:50 pm

Hattie wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:20 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:

In my experience with recruiting, almost any other type of post secondary training is deemed to be superior any way for more competitive agencies. But if you are going to do it, then go through an accredited university/college/program. So I agree with you.

--

If you want to stand out to recruiters, get certified in something you can use in a variety of settings not just in enforcement. Such as a business diploma. That's why my university in the States pioneered a hybrid degree between Criminal Justice and Public Administration: because CJ degrees were considered a dime a dozen to recruiters. I.e. only useful later on in your career for promotions.

Oh well. I consider it a big first lesson: read the fine print carefully when it comes to 'certifications' and check with potential employers, if possible, regarding their acceptance of such. Training/certifications mean diddly squat if they aren't recognized by your employer.
By no means when I write this post am I cutting down education for a job.

What it boils down to is, these HR people are accepting these young kids that have no common sense in the real world along, common sense or street sense.
They see they have a master or degree, but can they actually talk, and get their hands dirty, Probably not.
Not to mention, work ethic among these new recruits, is terrible. 100%.... live at home still and don’t wanna work in the first place. I mean I might be off the number a bit lol. But not by much
I’m in correction and can speak about this being a head problem, but also have a lot of police Friends that say the same thing
Correctional Officer, CO2

JeanFrancois
Veteran Member

Postby JeanFrancois » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Fonthill wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:50 pm
Hattie wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:20 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:

--

By no means when I write this post am I cutting down education for a job.

What it boils down to is, these HR people are accepting these young kids that have no common sense in the real world along, common sense or street sense.
They see they have a master or degree, but can they actually talk, and get their hands dirty, Probably not.
Not to mention, work ethic among these new recruits, is terrible. 100%.... live at home still and don’t wanna work in the first place. I mean I might be off the number a bit lol. But not by much
I’m in correction and can speak about this being a head problem, but also have a lot of police Friends that say the same thing
I agree with this; Quite often 17 year old kids go and take Police Foundations and then go take 2 years at Uni and get a bachelors; But really what life experience do they have? have they experienced hardship? Relationship or Martial problems? Debt Problems? Credit Problems? Family Problems ? Loss of friendships? Loss of loved one? living on their own?Have they any experience in our court systems? Federal, Provincial, Civil, Criminal etc.

I was working my part-time security job the other day out of town and a couple of YRP officers arrived on-scene to follow-up on a noise complaint; nice guys. We chatted for about thirty-minutes. One of them was a fresh recruit, 23 years old. I've almost had my Drivers License for as long as this guy has been alive for;

The appropriate Speaking and handling of any conflict situation is defiantly a must; I think under a certain age that you lack real life experience; and what I mean by experience is personal hardship and how you showed your true colors working throughout the personal hardship,learning from it and improving.
CBSA:
App: 08-18
O.T.E.E:
Interview:
PAL:
Psych: ?

TPS:
GIS: July 22th, 2019
PREP Practice: July 26th, 2019
WCT: Aug 17, 2019
PREP:
PATI: October 5th, 2019