Store Security releasing offenders

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
A.blackburn
Rookie Member

Re: Store Security releasing offenders

Postby A.blackburn » Sat May 02, 2020 2:11 pm

Hattie wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:46 am
On a side note: Why on earth would it matter if private security reads Charter rights? Only the government can violate your rights. Unless there is something I'm not aware of, anyone using 494 who is not employed by a government body would not be expected to Charter and Caution. The receiving peace officer would have that obligation.
What I could see is the impact on the voir-dire.

In my opinion, if it takes 15 more seconds of my day i don’t really care. I strongly believe that it’s not because you can that you should always do it. It makes things a lot more complicated sometimes. About the security at the gates, I think that they do that to pay less insurance.
Police Officer

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun May 03, 2020 4:04 pm

Just work on your best Care-Bear let-down stare!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

Hattie
Veteran Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Postby Hattie » Mon May 04, 2020 11:15 am

A.blackburn wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:11 pm

In my opinion, if it takes 15 more seconds of my day i don’t really care. I strongly believe that it’s not because you can that you should always do it. It makes things a lot more complicated sometimes. About the security at the gates, I think that they do that to pay less insurance.
I would have more issue with a private citizen Cautioning and Chartering than not. Security tells me I have the right to speak with a lawyer but has no ability to provide me that opportunity or to transport me directly to a place where that can occur. Or they start to ask questions that you shouldn't be asking, or it's questionable what exactly was read... because believe me, lawyers love to dive into your 'extensive' training.

I'd have more questions if they Charter and Cautioned a person than if they failed to since there is no expectation that security would do so. Just seems weird to me but hey, if it's working for you and your courts, don't mind me.
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.

Thefairburn
Rookie Member

Postby Thefairburn » Mon May 18, 2020 9:54 pm

Hattie wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:15 am
A.blackburn wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:11 pm

I would have more issue with a private citizen Cautioning and Chartering than not. Security tells me I have the right to speak with a lawyer but has no ability to provide me that opportunity or to transport me directly to a place where that can occur. Or they start to ask questions that you shouldn't be asking, or it's questionable what exactly was read... because believe me, lawyers love to dive into your 'extensive' training.

I'd have more questions if they Charter and Cautioned a person than if they failed to since there is no expectation that security would do so. Just seems weird to me but hey, if it's working for you and your courts, don't mind me.

As far as the receipt checkers go, I've personally never done that job nor would I want to lol, but yes I've encountered some that seem to believe its their god given right to see your damn receipt and god help you should you try to leave. I try to stay far far away from that behaviour, until they begin following someone out of the Walmart doors into other common areas at which point it kinda becomes the mall's problem and were expected to do something, which usually ends up being separating the two, sending the customer on their merry way and asking the receipt checker for the umpteenth time to not cause ruckus with patrons in a common area.

And for the reasons you've mentioned is why I dont charter anyone I arrest (very few occasions) and am also confused by it. Some people Ive worked with religiously believe Security must charter people we arrest, and have told me I'm wrong for not doing it. I'll tell them that I've placed them under arrest pursuant to s.494 for whatever offense I witnessed them committing to cause it (even though its usually very obvious), but why would I advise them of their right to counsel and all that when I'm not going to be providing them that? Why would I be 'questioning' anyone when my job is just hold them until the police show up and they do their thing from there? What if the police show up and decide distance release or UTA the person, after I've chartered them? I just don't get it, but I've never seen it work against a guard for doing it so to each their own I suppose?

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue May 19, 2020 9:36 am

No see = no arrest.

Your pay grade does NOT include compensation for injury.

Remember, not only are you NOT Jason Statham, you may only be a dollar-store knock-off Micheal Pena; just do not sit on yer arse on your Hello-Kitty-embellished phone playing Candy Crush or drooling over the next iteration of the Glove of Odin or whatever.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)