Will British Columbia adopt Community Peace Officers?

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
HiPowered
Veteran Member

Re: Will British Columbia adopt Community Peace Officers?

Postby HiPowered » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:40 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:As previously stated. Bylaw/minicipal law enforcement/ etc ARE already peace officers. Previous court rulings (yes multiple) only serve to solidify that fact. Now specific legislation provincially is a different story. I'm not too familiar with the province of British Columbia, however the Alberta peace officer act is a little bit misleading. As community peace officers cannot enforce the criminal code of Canada (495) despite being labelled as peace officers only (494) as was explained to me by a former traffic Sherrif from Alberta.

The Peace Officer Act in Alberta does actually allow powers to enforce the Criminal Code, but it's limited by the appointment of the Peace Officer. Traffic Sheriffs and Court Security/Prisoner Transport Sheriffs in Alberta have different appointments that provide different powers, but CSPT Sheriffs in Alberta do have 495 authority, although it's limited by our appointments and policy to prevent Sheriffs from conducting a Criminal Code investigation. Powers of arrest under 495 are allowed.

AlbertaCPO2
Rookie Member

Postby AlbertaCPO2 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:39 am

As a newly trained CPO in the Alberta health care industry, I recall in my training that we are given S. 495 2(d)(i) and (iii) of the CCC. Although it does not give any arresting authority, it does allow us to potentially detain an individual for identification purposes or stop the commission of an offense.
Last edited by AlbertaCPO2 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hattie
Veteran Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Postby Hattie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:19 am

IndictableChaser wrote:As previously stated. Bylaw/minicipal law enforcement/ etc ARE already peace officers. Previous court rulings (yes multiple) only serve to solidify that fact. Now specific legislation provincially is a different story. I'm not too familiar with the province of British Columbia, however the Alberta peace officer act is a little bit misleading. As community peace officers cannot enforce the criminal code of Canada (495) despite being labelled as peace officers only (494) as was explained to me by a former traffic Sherrif from Alberta.

This is a good link for anyone trying to understand how the Peace Officer Program works in Alberta. The only difficulty you may have understanding is where Seasonal Park Rangers fit into the program and what exactly their appointment is classified as... (I was one and all I know is the seasonal program is the way it is due to grandfathering) :ponder:

https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/programs_and_services/public_security/peace_officers/Publications/Public%20Security%20Peace%20Officer%20Program%20-%20Policy%20and%20Procedure%20Manual.pdf

Essentially as stated by others, it depends on what classification your appointment is under, what training you have received, and what winds up being on your appointment itself. For some, CC authority defaults to S.494 and arrest authorities come from Provincial Legislation. Others have specific CC authorities as needed for their particular function.
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.

Zero2
Rookie Member

Postby Zero2 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:18 pm

This isn't just an Alberta program. Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut all practice this program....some have been around since the 50's and 60's. Ontario and BC seem to be holding on to traditional high priced programs that aren't working.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:19 am

Zero2 wrote:This isn't just an Alberta program. Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut all practice this program....some have been around since the 50's and 60's. Ontario and BC seem to be holding on to traditional high priced programs that aren't working.

You mean having special constables that are actually useful and don't require me to come finish their shit for them?
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 am

Zero2 wrote:This isn't just an Alberta program. Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut all practice this program....some have been around since the 50's and 60's. Ontario and BC seem to be holding on to traditional high priced programs that aren't working.

In Ontario, prisoner transport Special constables are tremendously useful. They keep uniformed officers available on the road. Most shifts seem to run ridiculously short. Dedicating 2+ uniformed officers for court related and prisoner security is a massive hit when shifts are already short and calls are backed up.

My only complaint about SCs in Ontario is that there isn't enough of them.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Toonces wrote:
Zero2 wrote:
My only complaint about SCs in Ontario is that there isn't enough of them.

And they don't have guns (minus NPP and PPS)
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Zero2
Rookie Member

Postby Zero2 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:46 am

IndictableChaser wrote:

You mean having special constables that are actually useful and don't require me to come finish their shit for them?

Yep, exactly. Stunning isn't it.....Ontario REALLY needs to get on board with this.