Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:30 pm

There is a lot in there that does make an awful lot of sense TBH. I like the alternative service delivery and prioritizing call response subheadings. This shows they recognize that Police are increasingly responding to things that are simply not policing issues. This is a HUGE waste of frontline resources.

I've got no issue if they bring in electronic (online) reporting for things like vandalism where there are no suspects and absolutely no chance of ever finding out who committed the act. Report it so it can be correlated with other occurrences and get the reporting party an occurrence number and that is the end of that. Saves the road guys a lot of wasted time.

User avatar
gotchya
Rookie Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: 10-20
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby gotchya » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:03 am

Punisher-One wrote:I've got no issue if they bring in electronic (online) reporting for things like vandalism where there are no suspects and absolutely no chance of ever finding out who committed the act. Report it so it can be correlated with other occurrences and get the reporting party an occurrence number and that is the end of that. Saves the road guys a lot of wasted time.

+1

And then target "high risk" areas with more patrols.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

User avatar
vpd
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:25 pm
Location: Shangri La, British Columbia
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby vpd » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:47 pm

Tango5 wrote:A lot of members like the 4x4's



Agreed 12 hr shifts are nothing new.
Embrace what little time you have left on Earth.

User avatar
Bitterman
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby Bitterman » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:44 pm

12's aren't too bad "if" you don't have a long commute.
Given the average TPS salary and the cost of housing I assume many TPS members live in the 'burbs...
I know TPS guys who live as far from downtown as Stoney Creek and Barrie.
It woukd make for a very long day to be at work 12 hours then adding on travel time...

I prefer 12's, but my commute is only 30 minutes.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

User avatar
vpd
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:25 pm
Location: Shangri La, British Columbia
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby vpd » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:55 pm

Bitterman wrote:12's aren't too bad "if" you don't have a long commute.
Given the average TPS salary and the cost of housing I assume many TPS members live in the 'burbs...
I know TPS guys who live as far from downtown as Stoney Creek and Barrie.
It woukd make for a very long day to be at work 12 hours then adding on travel time...

I prefer 12's, but my commute is only 30 minutes.



No different out here in the wet coast, long commute, but that is why the Cop Gods invented sick leave...LOL
Last edited by vpd on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace what little time you have left on Earth.

User avatar
Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby Mr. Islander » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:45 pm

.
Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tango5
Rookie Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:34 am
Location: E Div
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby Tango5 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:45 pm

Mr. Islander wrote:30 minutes? Screw that.

5 minutes. Last thing I want to do after spending 12 hrs in a car is have a long commute home to my bed.

Although, a major downside is seeing the rats you've arrested at grocery stores, bars, car dealerships, gas stations, etc etc.


Some members travel over an hour because they serve where they wonna work. Nothing wrong with that if that's what they choose to do.

There are members that Want the Stripe and have the stripe. Some of them live very close to the detachments and wish they didn't.

Personal preference.

And there are those who have no choice but commute of course. :)
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

User avatar
devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1058
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby devilwoman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:03 pm

I've got no issue if they bring in electronic (online) reporting for things like vandalism where there are no suspects and absolutely no chance of ever finding out who committed the act.


Already in place with PRIME. It's just a matter of getting people to use it.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

User avatar
Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby Mr. Islander » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:07 pm

.
Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator
Posts: 377
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: GTR
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:59 pm

devilwoman wrote:
I've got no issue if they bring in electronic (online) reporting for things like vandalism where there are no suspects and absolutely no chance of ever finding out who committed the act.


Already in place with PRIME. It's just a matter of getting people to use it.


Used it a few times for driving complaints (with links to video "evidence")... never hear back from anyone though. :ponder:

This motorist who blew through a Cross Walk >>> HERE <<<
Total disregard for School Bus red lights >>> HERE <<<
This tool shed who cut me off >>> HERE <<<

There's many others on my YouTube Channel, but the ones above are the only incidents that really concerned me enough to file a complaint.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<


***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

User avatar
mack_silent
Rookie Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:36 am
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby mack_silent » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:56 am

Nice videos Wayne.
Toronto drivers never cease to amaze me.
I bought a dashcam a year ago and have caught so many clips with it, including:

Unsafe left turns,
failing to yield to pedestrians,
failing to yield from parking lots,
aggressive lane changes,
a fleeing criminal, (TPS got him)
a massive possum crossing the road,
stopping on green lights,
person driving wrong way on highway 401.

I'd like to learn more about the PRIME system (I imagine it's civilian based online reporting for minor crimes?).
It makes good sense to have an automated system for minor complaints, would be great if someone was assigned for follow-up calls.

I placed a complaint about an unsafe driver at a TPS division, an Officer collected the details.
TPS called me back a few days later, informing they had called the registered owner, issued a verbal caution, and informed the guy that any more complaints would be shared with his insurance company.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

gonqgrad
Sage Member
Posts: 502
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:20 am
Location: ...
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby gonqgrad » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:38 pm

PRIME is a police records management system. A service can license certain modules that it can use for its particular needs.

I think DW might be referring to web-based reporting modules. It's a hard sell to get the public to buy into them. They want a cop to take their report bc it provides them a sense of relief. Whereas web based reporting makes people feel like it's just a perfunctory action ( do it for the sake of doing it)...

User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:00 pm

gonqgrad wrote:I think DW might be referring to web-based reporting modules. It's a hard sell to get the public to buy into them. They want a cop to take their report bc it provides them a sense of relief. Whereas web based reporting makes people feel like it's just a perfunctory action ( do it for the sake of doing it)...


Which is supremely ignorant IMHO. They want an Officer to physically attend to take their minor complaint with no charges and then freak out when the Police budget climbs higher. Efficiencies are needed and creating or maintaining an online minor incident reporting system is very simple and a very cost effective solution.

If there is quite literally no evidence, no suspects, and no possibility of solving the minor incident then it is a huge waste of resources when it can be alternately reported and followed-up if required.

User avatar
John014
Seasoned Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:45 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby John014 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
gonqgrad wrote:I think DW might be referring to web-based reporting modules. It's a hard sell to get the public to buy into them. They want a cop to take their report bc it provides them a sense of relief. Whereas web based reporting makes people feel like it's just a perfunctory action ( do it for the sake of doing it)...


Which is supremely ignorant IMHO. They want an Officer to physically attend to take their minor complaint with no charges and then freak out when the Police budget climbs higher. Efficiencies are needed and creating or maintaining an online minor incident reporting system is very simple and a very cost effective solution.

If there is quite literally no evidence, no suspects, and no possibility of solving the minor incident then it is a huge waste of resources when it can be alternately reported and followed-up if required.


This is why I call any complainant who reports offences where I know there will be zero investigation. Not wasting the tax payers gas money to drive somewhere just to hear the same thing I could have heard over the phone.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

User avatar
devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1058
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Toronto Police - Modernization Changes

Postby devilwoman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:00 am

Which is supremely ignorant IMHO. They want an Officer to physically attend to take their minor complaint with no charges and then freak out when the Police budget climbs higher. Efficiencies are needed and creating or maintaining an online minor incident reporting system is very simple and a very cost effective solution.


So many people want the "personal" touch of having an officer attend. Which any of us, who ever calls any of our service providers for cell phones, banks, cable, etc., can understand. It can be extremely frustrating to have to hit 20 numbers in an attempt to speak to a live person about the issue. Older people, especially, want that human contact. It's how they grew up.

The problem is, the resources aren't there, but people don't understand this. They don't understand why the mischief to their garage sat for a day and a half. All they know is that they pay taxes and part of those taxes go to police and they pay enough that they should get a quick response. A response that includes a marked car operated by a uniformed officer showing up at their door. It's truly a battle to het many people to use the PRIME system.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SemrushBot and 1 guest