EDiv A/Cst's petition to Minister of Public Safety

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
DDOYYZ
Rookie Member

Re: EDiv A/Cst's petition to Minister of Public Safety

Postby DDOYYZ » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:37 pm

EsivarT wrote:Tango5, are you currently doing post secondary? Feel free to PM. Just had a few inquiries about the life of an aux, lol.

The life of an RCMP aux these days is pretty much non existent for most, given the severe restrictions placed on the program. At the moment it's effectively dead in some provinces and other provinces (mainly BC) have a bit of activity with low risk non patrol, non law enforcement activities only.

The other non RCMP volunteer constable programs in BC and Ontario are still going strong to best of my knowledge and they have similar roles as the RCMP program did (pre Jan 2016) with some equipment and legal status differences.

EsivarT
Rookie Member

Postby EsivarT » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:00 pm

I was actually asking in the sense that they were doing full duties. I know with the situation going on right now things are different.

Just wondering how aux who attend post secondary and work at the same time as volunteering balance things out.

Don't wanna hijack the thread from its purpose so I don't mind opening a new thread or taking it to PMs!
York Auxiliary

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:59 pm

UBCM Members Favour Tiered Auxiliary Constable Program
Nov 30, 2016

UBCM has submitted feedback to the Province and RCMP that indicates many of its members prefer a three tiered Auxiliary Constable Program (ACP), whereby each tier would have specific training and experience prerequisites for interested Auxiliary Constables (ACs). The feedback is based on the options for change listed in a recent RCMP report, RCMP Auxiliary Constable Program: Review of Activities and the Way Forward.

The feedback is reflective of a survey UBCM conducted in mid-October, where local governments were asked to indicate which option they preferred, and the rationale for their preference. The three options for consideration were:
•Option 1 (Status Quo): Maintain the ACP in its current form (consistent with January 2016 changes);
•Option 2 (Community Corps Program): ACs would participate solely in community policing (e.g. safety education, crime prevention initiatives); and,
•Option 3 (Tiered Program): A three-tier system. Each tier would have specific requirements for training and experience.

The decision to conduct a survey came after the RCMP would not permit UBCM to share the options report with local governments, despite a letter from RCMP Local Government Contract Management Committee co-Chair, Councillor Sav Dhaliwal.

During the response period, UBCM received feedback from 51 local government representatives. 46 respondents (90%) selected Option 3, four respondents (8%) preferred that the program remain unchanged, and one respondent (2%) felt that ACs should only provide community policing. While those who favoured the tiered program provided a number of reasons for doing so, one of the most cited was the flexibility this option would provide municipalities and ACs to meet their individual needs. UBCM also conveyed Resolution 2016-B3, Reversal of Recent Amendments to RCMP Auxiliary Constable Program. This endorsed resolution seeks to have all January 2016 amendments to the ACP reversed as a means to alleviate the burden on police, and in the interest of public safety. Lastly, UBCM requested greater consultation with the federal government regarding the ACP, given its direct impacts (e.g. financial, level of policing) on BC communities.

During the week of November 21-25, the Province presented UBCM’s feedback and its own position regarding the future of the ACP at the national RCMP Contract Management meetings in Ottawa. There is currently no timetable for a federal decision on any potential changes to the ACP.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:38 am

Why waste time and money on some "3 tiered" system? If the vast majority of stakeholders want the Aux Cst program to be like it was before the changes it should be simple to reverse the changes and leave it at that no?

BST
Rookie Member

Postby BST » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:41 am

Punisher-One wrote:Why waste time and money on some "3 tiered" system? If the vast majority of stakeholders want the Aux Cst program to be like it was before the changes it should be simple to reverse the changes and leave it at that no?

You would think.....

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:12 pm

Punisher-One wrote:Why waste time and money on some "3 tiered" system? If the vast majority of stakeholders want the Aux Cst program to be like it was before the changes it should be simple to reverse the changes and leave it at that no?

Hold on, there. You know that is NOT the way government works. Once a decision has been made, it must either be confirmed or subjected to multiple redundant levels of consultation and review prior to considering the possibility that the 'appropriate reaction in the circumstances' resulted in 'unforeseen challenges' and that a 'reassessment of our capabilities' is required to ensure that 'the stakeholders are rendered the appropriate level of service.'
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:26 pm

@Punisher-One

I don't think Ottawa wants the program to continue the old way. If you click on the Feedback link you will find that top brass didn't allow UBCM to share any info with the local Governments.

So. as Ottawa is facing a lot of push-back from the Cities, I believe, this has forced them to come up with the 3Tierd option.

And.. I agree.

You can't just throw a person in the car and expect him/her to know how to properly handle themselves in public, on calls or what have you.
More training is needed and more proper hiring too.

JustMy2Cents
Last edited by Tango5 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:19 am

Tango5 wrote:@Punisher-Ome

I don't think Ottawa wants the program to continue the old way. If you click on the Feedback link you will find that top brass didn't allow UBCM to share any info with the local Governments.

So. as Ottawa is facing a lot of push-back from the Cities, I believe, has forced them to come up with the 3Tierd option.

And.. I agree.

You can't just throw a person in the car and expect him/her to know how to properly handle themselves in public, on calls or what have you.

JustMy2Cents

The cream will always rise to the top.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:43 am

Yes!

But more pass/fail/repete scenario based training would be nice and beneficial to all.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:49 pm

Tango5 wrote:You can't just throw a person in the car and expect him/her to know how to properly handle themselves in public, on calls or what have you.

Was the RCMP Auxiliary program lacking in good hiring practices and training before? The RCMP is a pretty large organization I assume they had hiring standards and training requirements for Auxiliaries before this.

DDOYYZ
Rookie Member

Postby DDOYYZ » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
Tango5 wrote:You can't just throw a person in the car and expect him/her to know how to properly handle themselves in public, on calls or what have you.

Was the RCMP Auxiliary program lacking in good hiring practices and training before? The RCMP is a pretty large organization I assume they had hiring standards and training requirements for Auxiliaries before this.

Actually it was kind of all over the map nationally as the program is a hybrid of Federal/RCMP and each of the Provinces that ran it under their own peace officer (or not in some cases) legislation and funded it separately. So there where/are lots of differences from province to province

As well as differences within a province with respect to applications to get in the program, since the idea is to have local people be auxiliaries in each community. Some detachments have larger populations, some are tiny...some would have a long multi step process with panel interviews etc...some would be informal and just be the security background check. Training ranged from being all on the job or locally at the detachment or a short 4 or 5 day course at the division HQ or in the case of BC a longer 5-6 months of part time training.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:12 pm

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/news/2016/ ... ry-program

"RCMP Auxiliary Program

December 22, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario

News release

The RCMP announced the following changes today to its Auxiliary Program following extensive consultation with its Auxiliaries, its provincial, territorial and municipal partners and other stakeholders:

Program Name:
RCMP Auxiliary Program.

Model:
Tiered model including three tiers which will allow divisions and contract partners to choose one or any combination of the tiers based on local needs and circumstances.

Activities:
Tier 1: Tier 1 provides RCMP Auxiliaries an opportunity to participate in community policing services, such as public safety education and crime prevention initiatives. This Tier requires general supervision. Under Tier 1, Auxiliaries would not be given peace officer status.
Tier 2: Tier 2 includes all of the duties listed in Tier 1 with the addition of assisting at major events, community presence via foot and bicycle patrols, crowd and traffic control duties, training support and delivery, disaster assistance and search and rescue operations assistance. Tier 2 does not include general duty patrols (ride-a-longs). Auxiliaries under Tier 2 would be under the direct supervision of a regular member of the RCMP. Tier 2 would provide peace officer status where provincial/ territorial legislation permits.
Tier 3: Tier 3 includes a combination of duties from both Tier 1 and Tier 2 with the addition of General Duty Patrols and Check Stops. Tier 3 would provide peace officer status where provincial/ territorial legislation permits.
Training standards:
Mandatory national training standards will be developed for all three Tiers within the Tiered model. Contract and Aboriginal Policing and RCMP Learning and Development will work to finalize course training standards.

Uniform options:
Uniform options have yet to be finalized. High visibility garments will be included in the uniforms as well as the word "Volunteer" being added. Contract and Aboriginal Policing will be working closely with the Uniform and Equipment Program on this issue, and final options will be shared when they are available.

"These changes have been made based on evidence and extensive, thoughtful consultation," said RCMP Deputy Commissioner Kevin Brosseau, Contract and Aboriginal Policing. "I am confident they will improve the program, and contribute to the safety of our Auxiliaries, our police officers and the public we serve. We're very encouraged and excited about the future of this program."

The RCMP will work closely with its divisions and provincial and territorial governments in organising and administering the new program in the coming months.

–30–

Contact information

RCMP National Media Relations
613-843-5999
RCMP.HQMediaRelations-DGRelationsmedias ... -grc.gc.ca"
Last edited by Tango5 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Punisher-One wrote:

In my opinion, all Aux members should be hired at par with Reg Member standard, including the same type of: entry exam, polygraph, background, security screening plus, be provided with similar type of training at the higher tiers.

Where someone is involved in (operational) policing on a 'part time' basis, never mind frontline, the screening, training and hiring practices shouldn't be lesser.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:37 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nort ... -1.3909805

According to the above..

I wonder how will the individual detachments/areas determine who makes T3 and who gets rolled down and what this decision will be based on. Plus.. will all choose to go T3?
It appears that there are many doors open. I can see some detachments say: Screw it, we do T1 only.

I believe, this new setup will cause more issues in the ranks than it's needed.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:03 am

Interesting. Who decides which Auxiliary can do which tier?

Also why the need to add "volunteer" to uniforms that already say "Auxiliary" on them? Do they think a criminal wanting to escape custody will care that the uniform says "volunteer" and opposed to "auxiliary", or "Police"?

Those of us that do Auxiliary understand there are inherent risks to volunteering our time in this capacity. We knowingly accept these risks by signing up for the program and going through the training.