EDiv A/Cst's petition to Minister of Public Safety

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Tango5
Rookie Member

Re: EDiv A/Cst's petition to Minister of Public Safety

Postby Tango5 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:11 pm

UBCM Resolution:

(See, R21 - http://avicc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016 ... rch-12.pdf)

Community Safety - Reversal of Recent Amendments to RCMP Auxiliary Constable Program.

Whereas in January 2016 amendments to the RCMP Auxiliary Constable Program came into effect, including the
immediate elimination of ride-alongs with RCMP members in police cars and firearms familiarization training, as well as the
review of duties that could eliminate auxiliary constable participation in special events and crowd/traffic control;

And whereas public safety is a critical objective of BC local governments, RCMP detachments and municipal police
departments with auxiliary constables serving an important role in assisting and complementing an already overburdened
police force in the provision of public safety programs and in the delivery of basic police services:

Therefore be it resolved that the Province of British Columbia be requested to exert pressure on both the Government of
Canada and the RCMP’s “E” Division for the immediate reinstatement of the Auxiliary Constable Program in British
Columbia to its pre-January 2016 role complete with the ride-along and firearms familiarization training programs as well as
continued participation in special events and crowd or traffic control.

Endorsed by the Association of Vancouver Island and Coastal Communities

UBCM Resolutions Committee recommendation: Endorse

UBCM Resolutions Committee comments:

While members have not previously considered a resolution reacting specifically to January 2016 amendments to the
RCMP Auxiliary Constable Program, the Resolutions Committee notes that the UBCM membership has consistently
endorsed resolutions supporting continued funding and a robust role for RCMP Auxiliary Constables, including special
events, crowd or traffic control, and firearms training (2003-B47, 2000-B5, 1999-A12, 1999- A13, 1998-B39, 1998-ER,
1997-B28).
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

BST
Rookie Member

Postby BST » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:26 pm

The petition closes on Thursday, lets get a few more signatures on it!!!

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:09 pm

proposed look of the program.

http://www.ubcm.ca/EN/meta/news/news-ar ... ogram.html

The RCMP is considering three options with regard to the ACP. These options are as follows:

Option 1 (Status Quo): Maintain the ACP in its current form (consistent with January 2016 changes), with no Auxiliary Constable (AC) participation in general duty patrols or ride-alongs, and no firearms familiarization training. ACs would remain appointed peace officers, wear a police-type uniform, and be issued intervention tools and soft body armour. A training standard and activity matrix would be subsequently developed to ensure minimum standards for ACs. At this time, the level of supervision (direct or indirect), nature of the activity matrix, and training requirements are unknown.

Option 2 (Community Corps Program): ACs would participate solely in community policing (e.g. safety education, crime prevention initiatives). They would wear a civilian-type uniform, and would not be appointed as peace officers. The RCMP has developed a draft training standard, should this option be implemented, that consists of 13 courses totalling 81.5 hours (52 classroom hours, 39.5 hours online).

Option 3 (Tiered Program): A three-tier system. Each tier would have specific requirements for training and experience.

Tier 1 would be comprised of the duties and training standards described in Option 2, with participation set at 48 hours per year.

Tier 2 would include all Tier 1 activities, as well as traffic and crowd control, parades and public ceremonies, and foot or bike community presence under indirect supervision. Tier 2 ACs under would be appointed Peace Officers, wear a police-type uniform, and be issued intervention tools and soft body armour. Training would include Tier 1 courses, as well as six additional courses. Participation would be set at 96 hours per year with a curfew imposed after 9:00 pm.

Tier 3 would include Tier 1 and Tier 2 duties, as well as general duty patrol (in an RCMP vehicle, all terrain vehicle, snowmobile, marine vessel, bike, on foot, etc.), check stops, and other activities deemed appropriate. Training would build on the Tier 1 and Tier 2 standards, as well as firearms familiarization and additional courses as determined by the division training unit. Participation would be set at 144 hours per year with a curfew imposed after midnight.

Curfew?..... what?, am I a 10 year old? We all know that all dangers and risks start pass Midnight, right? :ponder:
If I ask my Mom for a note, will I be able to stay out longer?

On a serious note.
Been working under option #3 (and more... also solo) 3 to 3 or 6 to 6 for few years. There was never any need for curfew. I say, Shut it down or leave things as were.

I can only imagine being out on a simple file at 23:45 when shit hits the fan. Then what?... a taxi ride home because it drags pass midnight?

Who was the genius to come up with that?

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:03 pm

They will go with number 2.

When they say they have already implemented training for it you know it's the one that is going to happen.
Sucks for you guys. Time to jump into the application process... you know we are hiring.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:28 pm

They haven't implemented anything yet. It's a draft. But, yeah, it shows the desire.

A lot of people jumped into service already, those who are left are either new, older or those with good jobs. And.. yes, those who didn't make it or don't want the opportunity.

A lot are dormant, waiting for final decision.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:13 pm

I seriously hope for Option 3. But, that's just crossing my fingers.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:08 am

Tierd program would be great and very advisable.
It would ensure that only experienced and trustworthy members get out in public, engaging in the more 'sensitive' files and tasks.

I don't want to put anyone down but representing the service alongside RMs requires .... knowledge, experience and right attitude/personality. Not all can do it as not all can be cops.
Providing the way/steps to learn, gain trust and advance in responsibilities can do wonders and benefit all.

NorthernProtector
Seasoned Member

Postby NorthernProtector » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:57 pm

Wasn't the "tiered" model proposed before and the Tier 3 positions would be former regular members?
A Veteran = Someone whether active, retired, or reserve who has in his/her past written a cheque made payable to "The People of Canada" for the sum of "Up To & Including My Life".

DDOYYZ
Rookie Member

Postby DDOYYZ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:47 pm

NorthernProtector wrote:Wasn't the "tiered" model proposed before and the Tier 3 positions would be former regular members?

I think you are confusing this with the RCMPs reserve constable program. A completely different program that is only for fully trained and experienced regular members who left on good terms to come back from retirement on a part time basis to fill roles that only a fully trained police officer can do vs the supporting role of a volunteer Auxilary Constable who has much less training and is typically a Peace Officer and not a former Police Officer

To add to the confusion, some municipal agencies in BC call their volunteer Auxiliariry Constable's, Reaerve Constables instead of Auxiliary. And Winnipeg has a cadet program that serves a part time paid role that is quite similar to what RCMP auxiliary constables used to do...but other places use the label Cadet for either regular members in their training phase OR non operational youth specific programs sort of like the Army cadets.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090605023 ... serves.php

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:59 pm

There is some support among the brass. We'll know soon what comes out of this.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/am ... ent=safari

http://infotel.ca/newsitem/kamloops-top ... am/it35724

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:02 am

Wow something positive for a change. Stay tuned ....
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

BST
Rookie Member

Postby BST » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:45 pm

Lets hope for the program to be restored.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:57 pm

Nice to see more and more support from the very cities we serve.

http://www.richmond.ca/agendafiles/Open ... 4-2016.pdf

(Too long to paste)

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:45 pm

City of Richmond: Volunteer Cops need gun training.

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/city- ... -1.2466050

"We would like to see the auxiliary force back to what they used to be. It’s been a great resource to augment our police force,” said Coun. Bill McNulty"

"The proposal does not call for fully arming the constables, although McNulty said it’s a “possibility” in the future, considering they had once been armed before"

EsivarT
Rookie Member

Postby EsivarT » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Tango5, are you currently doing post secondary? Feel free to PM. Just had a few inquiries about the life of an aux, lol.
York Auxiliary