City of Richmond Municipal Police

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
User avatar
Rareform
Seasoned Member
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:50 pm
Contact:

City of Richmond Municipal Police

Postby Rareform » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:44 pm

Just thought I'd share this. Feel free to discuss

Here's a link to a thorough report done by the City of Richmond that examines retaining RCMP services versus employing a municipal police force
http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/ ... 442862.pdf

Allegedly their decision will be made late spring this year.

News article below.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3398717

Richmond police department would offer city more control, says retired officer
City council would be able to tailor the direction of its police force to local needs says Andy Hobbs


"The City of Richmond is considering creating its own police force, separate from the RCMP — and that could give it greater control over policing policy, according to one retired police officer.

The RCMP have policed Richmond since 1950, when the island was mostly a farming community. But the city has considered creating a municipal police force in recent years and experts are weighing in on the pros and cons of such a move.

"And now it's quite a dynamic city with probably about 208,00 people with a big downtown core and it's really a little metropolis," said Andy Hobbs, a longtime Richmond resident and retired Vancouver police officer.

"Looking at the policing option is quite natural."
Local accountability

Hobbs says the RCMP has been doing a good job in Richmond and a move away from them would not necessarily mean better police officers.

But having a municipal police force means city council would be able to tailor the direction of its police force to local needs, he notes.

"It's not really about the members of the entities. It's about things, for me, like accountability, [and] local influence on policy."

City council would have almost total control over the policing budget, says Hobbs.

"If they say we'd like you [the police] to hold 20 vacancies or we'd like you to hire 20 people or we'd like you to keep your car's five years longer, you're going to do that. Because they're the ones who cut the cheque and the buck stops at city hall."
Retaining officers in Richmond

Another big advantage to having a municipal police force is that officers tend to stay with force for their entire career, says Hobb.

In comparison, RCMP officers sometimes have to relocate to other cities due to the organization's provincial and federal obligations.

"In my career, everybody that retired from the Vancouver Police Department out of my class spent their entire career there."

He says it has worked well for Vancouver.

"So you get somebody who is selected, recruited, trained in Vancouver ... and you get to retain those people."

Richmond residents can submit their thoughts on a municipal police force here. "
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

User avatar
IndictableChaser
Veteran Member
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:20 pm
Location: Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
Contact:

Re: City of Richmond Municipal Police

Postby IndictableChaser » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:42 pm

If the city wants to cough up a couple of extra bucks to have their own police service, all the power to them.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

bainne
Rookie Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:48 am
Contact:

Re: City of Richmond Municipal Police

Postby bainne » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:20 am

It always surprised me that there was never the consideration of a regional police force in the lower mainland. Instead there is a fractured system of large and miniscule city forces with RCMP sprinkled about. The Ontario system of regional forces for multiple cities allows for the overhead to be spread across multiple budgets and an amalgamation of support services to reduce costs. LIke really...Port Moody needs it's own 30 member police force?
Vancouver Regional Police would make a lot of sense for Richmond to considered joining in with the VPD

User avatar
BravoZulu
Grand Poobah
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Standing on the Thin Blue Wall in British Columbia
Contact:

Re: City of Richmond Municipal Police

Postby BravoZulu » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:53 am

I think one of things that deter a regional police service here is some municipalities fear that all of their police coverage would then move to Vancouver or Surrey and they wouldn't see as much police coverage in their communities. I'm not saying that WOULD happen but it certainly could.

I personally would not support my city being absorbed in a regional service because I like the service that my Municipal agency provides and I don't think I would benefit.

BZ
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

User avatar
John014
Seasoned Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:45 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: City of Richmond Municipal Police

Postby John014 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:22 pm

BravoZulu wrote:I think one of things that deter a regional police service here is some municipalities fear that all of their police coverage would then move to Vancouver or Surrey and they wouldn't see as much police coverage in their communities. I'm not saying that WOULD happen but it certainly could.

I personally would not support my city being absorbed in a regional service because I like the service that my Municipal agency provides and I don't think I would benefit.

BZ


I agree. The cost sharing would have to be 98% Surrey and the other 2% spread between the other cities.

Surrey's files are at over 36,000 already for the year and I know others who have files in the 6000's.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

User avatar
Rareform
Seasoned Member
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:50 pm
Contact:

Re: City of Richmond Municipal Police

Postby Rareform » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:33 pm

John014 wrote:Surrey's files are at over 36,000 already for the year and I know others who have files in the 6000's.


Wow, it's not even April yet. Damn... :shock:
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Tango5
Rookie Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:34 am
Location: E Div
Contact:

Re: City of Richmond Municipal Police

Postby Tango5 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:46 pm

John014 wrote:
I agree. The cost sharing would have to be 98% Surrey and the other 2% spread between the other cities.

Surrey's files are at over 36,000 already for the year and I know others who have files in the 6000's.


What does Surrey Mbr average?, 6-7 files per shift as primary?, providing you aren't stuck on the more serious files?

That's a huge file load.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Jessew
Rookie Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:20 pm
Contact:

Re: City of Richmond Municipal Police

Postby Jessew » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:58 pm

Isn't too far off from Red Deer on a busier day
K-Div RM

User avatar
BravoZulu
Grand Poobah
Posts: 745
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Standing on the Thin Blue Wall in British Columbia
Contact:

Re: City of Richmond Municipal Police

Postby BravoZulu » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:21 pm

Jessew wrote:Isn't too far off from Red Deer on a busier day


Yes but given that Surrey has over 700 members I don't think that's an entirely equal comparison. If the 6-7 files per shift estimate is accurate x 35-40 members per shift in the city that's 210 files per shift approximately using the lowest numbers.

Also if you take the 36000 files estimate and divide by the approximately 80 days that have passed this year that's 450 files per 24 hour period or 225 per shift.

One of my buddies said he always had about 15 files open at any given time and was never once caught up his entire time on GD in Surrey

BZ
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

User avatar
BROVO26
Regular Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: Home sweet home
Contact:

Re: City of Richmond Municipal Police

Postby BROVO26 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:53 pm

On a Saturday night last spring, the staff Sargent was saying that by halfway into a shift they had over 200 files run through the the cue. Surrey can get a tad bit busy at times...... :D
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

Jessew
Rookie Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:20 pm
Contact:

Re: City of Richmond Municipal Police

Postby Jessew » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:36 pm

BravoZulu wrote:
Jessew wrote:Isn't too far off from Red Deer on a busier day


Yes but given that Surrey has over 700 members I don't think that's an entirely equal comparison. If the 6-7 files per shift estimate is accurate x 35-40 members per shift in the city that's 210 files per shift approximately using the lowest numbers.

Also if you take the 36000 files estimate and divide by the approximately 80 days that have passed this year that's 450 files per 24 hour period or 225 per shift.

One of my buddies said he always had about 15 files open at any given time and was never once caught up his entire time on GD in Surrey

BZ


Well I know that, I wasn't comparing total number of officers or files, obviously Surrey is going to be way busier.
K-Div RM

User avatar
John014
Seasoned Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:45 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: City of Richmond Municipal Police

Postby John014 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Tango5 wrote:
John014 wrote:
I agree. The cost sharing would have to be 98% Surrey and the other 2% spread between the other cities.

Surrey's files are at over 36,000 already for the year and I know others who have files in the 6000's.


What does Surrey Mbr average?, 6-7 files per shift as primary?, providing you aren't stuck on the more serious files?

That's a huge file load.


Depends on the day, depends on the file type and depends on the member.

Some days You could do double that no problem and others you are working on something important all day.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

User avatar
John014
Seasoned Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:45 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: City of Richmond Municipal Police

Postby John014 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:21 pm

BravoZulu wrote:
Jessew wrote:Isn't too far off from Red Deer on a busier day


Yes but given that Surrey has over 700 members I don't think that's an entirely equal comparison. If the 6-7 files per shift estimate is accurate x 35-40 members per shift in the city that's 210 files per shift approximately using the lowest numbers.

Also if you take the 36000 files estimate and divide by the approximately 80 days that have passed this year that's 450 files per 24 hour period or 225 per shift.

One of my buddies said he always had about 15 files open at any given time and was never once caught up his entire time on GD in Surrey

BZ


A few blocks ago there were over 450 dispatched calls on one day.

I would say 250-350 is normal.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests