RCMP member under probe for being vulgar at home

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
DonutMan
Rookie Member

RCMP member under probe for being vulgar at home

Postby DonutMan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:55 pm

Get a load of this, off-duty RCMP member under investigation for obscene language used in his own home and for being vulgar :crazy:

Most people don’t bat an eye these days when vulgar or profane language is used, even in a place of work.

But when it comes to the RCMP, there’s no tolerance for it.

Case in point, a hearing by the RCMP probing the actions of one of their own.

An officer hosted a dinner party at his house and over the course of the evening, apparently said something that was offensive to one of his guests.

That guest complained to his boss.

A meeting between the officer and his staff sgt. resulted, and it was apparently heated, with the officer accused of using vulgar and inappropriate language.

The question now: is that considered professional misconduct?

That’s exactly what an RCMP panel will decide.

http://www.cknw.com/2016/01/11/rcmp-to- ... uage-equa/

BROVO26

Re: RCMP member under probe for being vulgar at home

Postby BROVO26 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:20 pm

Oh great, now another member of management can toss someone under the bus and look good doing it. I have said it once and I'll say it again. UNION for the RCMP . Someone has to protect the members!
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:12 pm

A dinner party has nothing to do with work. The member was not representing the RCMP. The conduct was not criminal. Why is this an issue?

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:37 pm

Punisher-One wrote:A dinner party has nothing to do with work. The member was not representing the RCMP. The conduct was not criminal. Why is this an issue?

If the media had it their way the IIO would be involved ! His house, off duty... Enough said......
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:06 pm

DonutMan wrote:Get a load of this, off-duty RCMP member under investigation for obscene language used in his own home and for being vulgar :crazy:

Most people don’t bat an eye these days when vulgar or profane language is used, even in a place of work.

An officer hosted a dinner party at his house and over the course of the evening, apparently said something that was offensive to one of his guests.

A meeting between the officer and his staff sgt. resulted, and it was apparently heated, with the officer accused of using vulgar and inappropriate language.

The investigation has nothing to do with what the Mountie said to whomever at his home, it's to do with what transpired between the Mountie and his S/Sgt. while they were on duty and discussing the issue.
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member

Postby NinjaNikki » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:53 pm

No 20 Year Medal wrote:
DonutMan wrote:Get a load of this, off-duty RCMP member under investigation for obscene language used in his own home and for being vulgar :crazy:

The investigation has nothing to do with what the Mountie said to whomever at his home, it's to do with what transpired between the Mountie and his S/Sgt. while they were on duty and discussing the issue.

Can one not argue fruit of the poison tree? I mean the work convo probably got heated because the personal matter was brought up at work. I feel bad for this officer I would probably loose my shit too if my personal conversations became a work discipline issue.

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:24 am

VanSmack wrote:
NinjaNikki wrote:Can one not argue fruit of the poison tree? I mean the work convo probably got heated because the personal matter was brought up at work. I feel bad for this officer I would probably loose my shit too if my personal conversations became a work discipline issue.

Depending on what was said that was brought to the attention of his boss, it may have been completely fair game for the boss to bring it up. If the member made references to things he did on the job, or made incredibly racist comments or a whole host of other things it could have been completely appropriate for the guy's boss to speak to him about it after it had been reported by a third party private citizen, regardless of where it was said, as it could potentially place the Force in ill-repute, and the RCMP act indicates that your status as a police officer doesn't end when you leave work.

Beyond that, even if it wasn't appropriate for the boss to have a discussion about the complaint received, it doesn't give the guy license to say inappropriate things to his supervisor. There is a rank structure in place and a very clear policy on the kinds of things that are unacceptable to say to anyone, regardless of rank, so depending on what he said, they likely have him for insubordinate behaviour to a ranking member, and potentially violation of the respectful workplace/anti-harassment policy. If you don't agree with the things your boss is telling you there are better ways to address it than to start hurling profanities at him in the office. Calmly tell him you disagree with him, ask him to put his order in writing if he intends to follow through with it and then grieve/sue as required. All you get by blowing up at the guy is a minor situation blowing up into a big one.

I don't know the guy, and I don't know the specifics of this case, he could be a great guy or he could be a terrible human being, I'm not commenting one way or the other. I'm certainly no broad brush supporter of anything RCMP management does when it comes to labour relations with the members, but in this case there's so many ways the guy could have handled things better that wouldn't have gotten him into a code of conduct.

Finally, the voice of reason.

I get why everyone here is quick to jump to the defence of a member that is being investigated, second-guessed, etc. I am certainly willing to give the benefit of the doubt too, but nobody here knows the circumstances of what happened.

It is in everyone's best interest to hold judgement until the facts are known, and to hold members accountable for their mistakes, if mistakes were in fact made.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:48 am

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:17 pm

VanSmack wrote:

What kind of news agency with any aspirations of being considered reputable refers to someone making a complaint as "ratting out" the guy?

Further, if that's the guy it has to be the fastest disciplinary process I've ever heard of. And also I'd be sceptical that even if a legitimate news source was reporting this (which based on my above comment I don't believe this radio station is), I'd venture that at a minimum 50% of the story is probably not being told.

It's an AM news channel in the lower mainland.

Obviously not very good at what they do.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

Dudley DoRight
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dudley DoRight » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:22 pm

CKNW also are anti-Police. They lead the charge for months against the YVR Members....inflamatory commments, accusations and much more.