Costco

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Aberdee
Rookie Member

Costco

Postby Aberdee » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:22 am

Costco's premium membership any good?

Dudley DoRight
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Costco

Postby Dudley DoRight » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:13 am

If you shop like mny wife does....it's nice to get several hundred $$ cash back at the end of the year. Problem with Costco is self-control while shopping...NOBODY gets out the checkout for less than $500. :) BTW, if anybody needs Charmin....I got a great deal on a palette load and have 4,000 rolls left to sell at a great deal!

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:20 pm

I loath the days my wife leaves the house saying.. "I'm going to stop at costco".

You're right... She never gets out of there without dropping at least $300 on shit we don't need, but lots of it in large quantities.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

seekerbeta
Rookie Member

Postby seekerbeta » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:41 pm

maybe my wife is the exception to the rule, but the last shop at costco was 100$.... and all i got to spend was 3.95 on 12 muffins.
CBSA OITP Graduate 7C - July 21 2016

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:14 pm

Hahahaha.

Yes, but you can eat 11 of those muffins and return the 12th for a full refund. :twisted:
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:15 pm

Tango5 wrote:Hahahaha.

Yes, but you can eat 11 of those muffins and return the 12th for a full refund. :twisted:

I read on another forum, that someone brought back an empty pie plate and actually got a full refund. Apparently, people used to bring back outdated TVs for a full refund and get a new generation of TV.
K division.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:48 pm

Last year I saw a guy bring first gen Nintendo Wii. The plastic enclosure was all twisted. It looked like the person kept it by a heater.

He got a full refund. :)

People are still bringing in Christmas trees back as supposedly they don't fit. They must have grown or something. :)
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:15 am

Depending on your location.. No point in going to the USA till our dollar gets better.. Till then, Costco!
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

gonqgrad
Sage Member

Postby gonqgrad » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:30 pm

Most of Costco's annual profits are brought in by their memberships. If you look at their financial statements, you'll notice that their Cost of Goods sold and selling/admin costs aren't much less than their sales revenues. So their markup is low.

One word of caution though, I'd be surprised if Costco doesn't track their cost of customers pretty closely. You might find yourself without a costco Membership if they notice that you make a lot of returns or make returns on items that are beyond what could be considered reasonable wear and tear. I know Amazon tracks cost of customers very carefully and will deep six a customer's account if they exceed the customer cost targets.

As for the value of the merchandise and membership, it's good if you can use it regularly, but I'd doubt that most families with less than two kids would be able to make good without having spoilage etc.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:31 pm

gonqgrad wrote:Most of Costco's annual profits are brought in by their memberships. If you look at their financial statements, you'll notice that their Cost of Goods sold and selling/admin costs aren't much less than their sales revenues. So their markup is low.

One word of caution though, I'd be surprised if Costco doesn't track their cost of customers pretty closely. You might find yourself without a costco Membership if they notice that you make a lot of returns or make returns on items that are beyond what could be considered reasonable wear and tear. I know Amazon tracks cost of customers very carefully and will deep six a customer's account if they exceed the customer cost targets.

As for the value of the merchandise and membership, it's good if you can use it regularly, but I'd doubt that most families with less than two kids would be able to make good without having spoilage etc.

Even when it was just my wife and me, we could still save money. Milk is about a buck less than the stores. I go through a bag a week, that's 52 bucks saved. Gas is 5 cents less than the surrounding competition. (Of course, I am not willing to wait 20 minutes to save 4 bucks. So its hit or miss if I get gas there.)
K division.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:03 pm

Comm SELLINGER and I have had the cards for several years, but we hardly use it more than the savings equaling the cost of the membership. Having to drive ~ 90 minutes is the biggest reason, plus we want to support our Weyburn businesses. We would use it more if we lived in, or closer to, Pile O'Bones or wherever else a store is located.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law (*), & Grampa (*+2)

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:38 am

I tend to use No Frills or Walmart these days. Seems to be the cheapest options unless buying in bulk at Costco.

CBK

Postby CBK » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:01 pm

Not sure if I can post the link or not but a quick google search on "Costco Price Codes" shows some interesting info if you haven't seen it before.....(I wonder if the same codes are used in their liquor store??) :ponder:

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:52 pm

CBK wrote:Not sure if I can post the link or not but a quick google search on "Costco Price Codes" shows some interesting info if you haven't seen it before.....(I wonder if the same codes are used in their liquor store??) :ponder:

Was something like if it ends in .97, it's a seasonal item and won't be around next week?

General rule, for Costco if you are the fence about something, buy it this week. Decent chance it won't be there next week. If you change your mind, they have a great return policy.
K division.

CBK

Postby CBK » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:37 am

Shawshank wrote:Was something like if it ends in .97, it's a seasonal item and won't be around next week?

Guess I could have done this:

Prices that end in 97¢: These have been marked down from the regular priced items, which end in 99¢
Odd pricing, such as 79¢, 49¢, or 89¢: These indicate specially priced items that Costco got a deal from the manufacturer. Rapoport says these can be better deals than at other stores, but not usually better than the 97¢ markdown.
An asterisk* on the upper right side of the sign: The item won't be reordered.
88¢ or .00 endings: Manager markdowns. Sometimes the company uses these to move a product very fast.