RCMP auxiliary officers furious with proposed changes

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Pete Broccolo

Re: RCMP auxiliary officers furious with proposed changes

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:30 am

Bottom-line, those of us posting on here who ARE still-active or retired Police Officers and HAVE worked with A/Csts, PARTICULARLY those of us who ARE RCMP Regular Members, GENERALLY are appreciative of the efforts expended by, knowledge provided to us by, and the dedication of those women and men of the A/Cst Program.
However, right or wrong, the Force IS telling ALL of us that the scope of A/Cst duties IS being reduced, and that is the final word.
Lobby your Municipality for a Community Peace Officer S/Cst Program through which you can serve your community with pride and possibly a greater level of use-of-force options if your political masters say so.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:51 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:Bottom-line, those of us posting on here who ARE still-active or retired Police Officers and HAVE worked with A/Csts, PARTICULARLY those of us who ARE RCMP Regular Members, GENERALLY are appreciative of the efforts expended by, knowledge provided to us by, and the dedication of those women and men of the A/Cst Program.
However, right or wrong, the Force IS telling ALL of us that the scope of A/Cst duties IS being reduced, and that is the final word.
Lobby your Municipality for a Community Peace Officer S/Cst Program through which you can serve your community with pride and possibly a greater level of use-of-force options if your political masters say so.

Well put.
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:47 am

http://m.theguardian.pe.ca/Opinion/Lett ... -mistake/1

Part of the article.

As a retired member, my heart, along with regular members, retired members and auxiliary members, is torn apart with sadness

for those members, their wives, children and family. The job still has to be done and I strongly submit that by dropping the Auxiliary program, it will cause even more deaths.

Why? Because if a member stops a vehicle at 3 a.m. with four suspicious persons, and an auxiliary opens the right door and just stands there, the occupants are far less likely to attack a member or cause a problem, if he has a backup. In most cases they don’t know if he is another regular member or an auxiliary member....

....There is not much danger sitting at a desk shifting paper from one side of the desk to the other and it’s easy to say we don’t need auxiliary members, but come out into the trenches at 3 a.m. and stop a car with several drunken subjects or go to a domestic, or fight, or a break and entry in progress by yourself then you might be able to recognize the true value of a backup Auxiliary member by you side, as I and many regular members did.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Tango5 wrote:http://m.theguardian.pe.ca/Opinion/Letter-to-editor/2016-02-22/article-4443776/RCMP-dropping-Auxiliary-Constable-Program-is-a-grave-mistake/1

Part of the article.

As a retired member, my heart, along with regular members, retired members and auxiliary members, is torn apart with sadness

for those members, their wives, children and family. The job still has to be done and I strongly submit that by dropping the Auxiliary program, it will cause even more deaths.

Why? Because if a member stops a vehicle at 3 a.m. with four suspicious persons, and an auxiliary opens the right door and just stands there, the occupants are far less likely to attack a member or cause a problem, if he has a backup. In most cases they don’t know if he is another regular member or an auxiliary member....

....There is not much danger sitting at a desk shifting paper from one side of the desk to the other and it’s easy to say we don’t need auxiliary members, but come out into the trenches at 3 a.m. and stop a car with several drunken subjects or go to a domestic, or fight, or a break and entry in progress by yourself then you might be able to recognize the true value of a backup Auxiliary member by you side, as I and many regular members did.

Why can't they just adopt the U.S. model of volunteer reserve members? Reserve//auxiliary members in the states are sworn armed police officers who have graduated from the academy but do not get paid and simply volunteer their time.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:15 am

Or appear on TV like Steven Seagal.

The fun part was watching the guy who popularized the very effective "sideways" hold of a handgun, trying to coach a fellow officer on shooting techniques. After a whole day on the range being "coached" by Seagal, he qualified by only two points higher.

They weren't too clear on that show, called Steven Seagal Lawman, or something like that, but as a volunteer reserve officer, he could only ride around in a non-pursuit-rated Explorer and ALWAYS under the direct supervision of a sworn officer.

Somehow, I just don't think the U.S. model would work here.

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:59 am

I have a very good friend who is a retired police officer from a small US town. He was an officer for 25+ years, and the last several he worked a lot of time as a volunteer. He rode solo, did his own investigations, etc. only difference was that he didn't get paid.

Not sure if that's the norm or not.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:49 am

Longarm9 wrote:I have a very good friend who is a retired police officer from a small US town. He was an officer for 25+ years, and the last several he worked a lot of time as a volunteer. He rode solo, did his own investigations, etc. only difference was that he didn't get paid.

Not sure if that's the norm or not.

I don't think there is a norm down there for that type of thing. There are so many different agencies down there - almost 18,000 at the state and local levels in 2012.

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:50 am

Dave Brown wrote:They weren't too clear on that show, called Steven Seagal Lawman, or something like that, but as a volunteer reserve officer, he could only ride around in a non-pursuit-rated Explorer and ALWAYS under the direct supervision of a sworn officer.

Somehow, I just don't think the U.S. model would work here.

That's because Steven Segal isn't POST-accredited therefore he's not actually a qualified police officer. If he was POST-accredited, he wouldn't need to be under direct supervision of a sworn officer. Louisiana provides an exception where one doesn't need to be POST-accredited if partnered with a POST-accredited officer.

A POST-accredited volunteer reserve officer does not need to be partnered with a POST-accredited officer. They are fully fledged police officers.

POST means they have graduated from a police academy.

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:28 am

Or people could apply and beome a regular member.
We could use the help clearing the Q.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:26 pm

John014 wrote:Or people could apply and beome a regular member.

If it were only that simple.

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:39 pm

Not sure how it is with the RCMP but local auxiliaries to me don't look like they could pass PARE.

I'm also sure a lot of auxiliaries have day jobs they don't want to leave to become a F/T member.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:45 pm

John014 wrote:Or people could apply and beome a regular member.

A lot do apply.

Some people don't want to become full time members, they are/were happy and satisfied to invest their free time into something they believe.

Some don't as they can't move for whatever reason and aren't per se interested in the Municipal Services. You know that a lot of Mounties are Mounties because of the pride in the force and the stripe. (Say what you want to this)

Anyways, I understand that there is some discussion with Ottawa to absorb the ones that were in 'it' for the operational aspect of the work.
I am not sure how and if anything will happen out of this but a proposal was communicated to eliminate some recruiting steps, accelerate the process or whatever.
I understand that this proposal/idea is based on the CSO program that was terminated.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:47 pm

DonutMan wrote:Not sure how it is with the RCMP but local auxiliaries to me don't look like they could pass PARE.

I'm also sure a lot of auxiliaries have day jobs they don't want to leave to become a F/T member.

Here we had to pass PARE my friend, at same standard. The ones that came below 4 min, were awarded little things as Thimbs Up.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:01 pm

I went to a recent PARE session for applicants of RCMP/CBSA/Sheriffs and the people were overall in far better shape than the usual ATS PREP session.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:16 pm

mack_silent wrote:I went to a recent PARE session for applicants of RCMP/CBSA/Sheriffs and the people were overall in far better shape than the usual ATS PREP session.

If I was in the best shape of my life hypothetically, I'd pick RCMP/CBSA too over ATS.... They don't charge you $11,000 to attend the academy. ;)