Surrey Community Patrol Officers

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
John014
Seasoned Member

Re: Surrey Community Patrol Officers

Postby John014 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:07 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:
Simplimatics wrote:In case anyone is curious, here is an actual article about the pilot program and the 4 new community patrol officers they hired.

They are described as having "more legal authority than a security guard, but not as much as a regular bylaw officer."

Don't see any UOF tools or stab vests on them and it would seem that based on the article, they will be in problem areas possibly talking/dealing with problem people. Though it stresses they're "just another set of eyes and ears" or whatever.

http://www.thenownewspaper.com/news/370 ... obile=true

If what I read about Surrey is true I wouldn't want to work in any enforcement capacity without a gun....let alone no baton/cuffs/oc

Everything you read about Surrey is true.
Great place :)
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:32 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:
Simplimatics wrote:In case anyone is curious, here is an actual article about the pilot program and the 4 new community patrol officers they hired.

They are described as having "more legal authority than a security guard, but not as much as a regular bylaw officer."

Don't see any UOF tools or stab vests on them and it would seem that based on the article, they will be in problem areas possibly talking/dealing with problem people. Though it stresses they're "just another set of eyes and ears" or whatever.

http://www.thenownewspaper.com/news/370 ... obile=true

If what I read about Surrey is true I wouldn't want to work in any enforcement capacity without a gun....let alone no baton/cuffs/oc

I know right? I am not sure what they're thinking. Lol. I guess it is a pilot project, so things could change.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Postby Boxer Dogs » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:16 pm

I had the pleasure of chatting with these guys for a few minutes yesterday at work. They seemed to be very professional and wanting to make the community a better place. Hopefully they will get more duties added as time goes.
My opinions are my own and do not reflect my agency.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:21 pm

Boxer Dogs wrote:I had the pleasure of chatting with these guys for a few minutes yesterday at work. They seemed to be very professional and wanting to make the community a better place. Hopefully they will get more duties added as time goes.

Hopefully, I guess we'll see what happens as a result of the pilot.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Postby Boxer Dogs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:52 pm

Sorry to revive a dead thread. I saw a posting for this. Does anyone know if these guys do any actual bylaw enforcement, like issuing tickets, or do they just patrol? I haven’t worked in Surrey for a long time, otherwise I’d ask them myself. Thanks.

jasonskald
Rookie Member

Postby jasonskald » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Boxer Dogs wrote:Sorry to revive a dead thread. I saw a posting for this. Does anyone know if these guys do any actual bylaw enforcement, like issuing tickets, or do they just patrol? I haven’t worked in Surrey for a long time, otherwise I’d ask them myself. Thanks.

Yes, they do issue Municipal Ticket Informations (MTIs), as well as write Reports to Crown Counsel and attend court as required. They are an "entry level" bylaw enforcement position so they generally deal with less complex issues but it is still a great way to start a career in enforcement.

Source: I work with them daily.

Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Postby Boxer Dogs » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:00 am

jasonskald wrote:
Boxer Dogs wrote:Sorry to revive a dead thread. I saw a posting for this. Does anyone know if these guys do any actual bylaw enforcement, like issuing tickets, or do they just patrol? I haven’t worked in Surrey for a long time, otherwise I’d ask them myself. Thanks.

Yes, they do issue Municipal Ticket Informations (MTIs), as well as write Reports to Crown Counsel and attend court as required. They are an "entry level" bylaw enforcement position so they generally deal with less complex issues but it is still a great way to start a career in enforcement.

Source: I work with them daily.

Good to know, thanks!

Zero2
Rookie Member

Postby Zero2 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:36 pm

Yet they go without any PPE and self-defence options....good old BC, just like Ontario.... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:51 pm

Zero2 wrote:Yet they go without any PPE and self-defence options....good old BC, just like Ontario.... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

The lack of standards and safety in BC and Ontario is at maximum levels of stupidity. Especially when other provinces are using tiered policing and other standardized LE setups that require their bylaw officers and other uniformed non-police peace officers to wear PPE and be trained/carry UoF equipment.

You will see that some municipalities train and issue their bylaw officers UoF tools and PPE (some may even be linked into the local radio system with emergency services), and some will be plainclothes or basic uniform with just a notebook and a cellphone.
Special Constable