No Call Too Small Philosophy

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Re: No Call Too Small Philosophy

Postby BravoZulu » Sat May 23, 2015 12:32 pm

gotchya wrote:
Longarm9 wrote:
Punisher-One wrote:Always get everything in writing and if you think you may be screwed later print the emails and keep them in your safe at home.
Yep. And ATIP is your friend.
Provided of course they respond or give direction via email. I find that when things get "sticky" phone calls become the preferred form of communication. No ATIP, only a he said, she said remains.
Request an email when things get sticky

BZ
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

Homer
Sage Member

Postby Homer » Sun May 24, 2015 9:47 am

BravoZulu wrote:
gotchya wrote: Provided of course they respond or give direction via email. I find that when things get "sticky" phone calls become the preferred form of communication. No ATIP, only a he said, she said remains.
Request an email when things get sticky

BZ
Or, my favourite - send an email stating "As per our telephone conversation, I understand that you are asking me to . . . ". If they don't want that direction to exist in written form, you will likely get a quick response saying "That is not what I said".
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

Stump

Postby Stump » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:35 am

Great responses everyone - thanks !!

As far as increasing our staffing levels, I don't think that is going to happen. Management recently had a "statistical" workload study completed. Essentially it says that we have too much free time on our hands :( Statistically we are not "engaged" 100 percent of the time. In all my years of service, with the odd exception, I don't recall ever being staffed to the level we should be.

The next big change coming is integration. The two communication centres on the island are being combined into one. This will be effective at the end of November. Having been through previous integrations in the Okanagan, there is a definite effect on quality of service. The big one is all the local knowledge is lost. But management doesn't care. It comes down to dollars and cents.

I like the idea of "on line" reporting. Have even suggested it a few times, but the suggestions seem to go nowhere. Kelowna City had a good system when I was there, wherein not dispatchable calls went to a police information clerk, who obtained the information needed, created the file, provided the file number to the caller, and took whatever action was necessary to conclude the file.

Pete noted "Actually, it is NOT up to the call-centre, but up to the Detachments, to make the decision on what to respond to. If something gets missed because a dispatcher did not think it was good enough, without going through a supervisor, to pass onto the members that would respond, NOW how do you look? " As the supervisor on the watch, the detachment watch commander has given me the okay to make the decision on the minor calls. He knows that if in doubt we err on the side of caution. He also knows that if there is a question, I pick up the phone, discuss it with him, and together we decide on a course of action.

Dudley Doright noted "Or, you could take the time to deal fully and professionally with every single call, completing the file and only releasing yourself after every last thing is finished". We all attempt to do this, but when the phone is ringing off the hook, it is not always possible. Many times it is go from call to call to call - things do get missed, and mistakes do happen. There have been some very peed off clients, but we can only do what we can do. When we are working with minimum, or below minimum staffing levels in the communication centre, it is very frustrating. We all want to do the best job possible, and provide the best service possible, but much of the time it is not possible.

Thanks for listening to my rant, and thanks for all the great feedback.

Stay safe out there everyone !! As a dispatcher / supervisor, your safety is my number ONE priority.

Stump

Dudley DoRight
King Poobah

Postby Dudley DoRight » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:42 am

Stump made some good points. Expecting a dispatcher in Victoria to know that you had to ask "is this 2700 South Island Hwy, 2700 Island Hwy or 2700 North Island Hwy" to locate a bad MVI, is vital. I spent 90 minutes one day doing just that when I was sent to SIH when it should have been NIH...not dispatcher's fault...we used to have local dispatch but it was amalgamated to Courtenay and they cover a huge geographic area. Not possible to know all the local nuances that can literally make the difference between life and death. In my case above...the person supposedly hit by a car had merely fallen over beside the car and EHS wasn't even needed.

gotchya
Poobah Overlord

Postby gotchya » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:00 pm

Stump wrote:As far as increasing our staffing levels, I don't think that is going to happen. Management recently had a "statistical" workload study completed. Essentially it says that we have too much free time on our hands :( Statistically we are not "engaged" 100 percent of the time. In all my years of service, with the odd exception, I don't recall ever being staffed to the level we should be.
I always like it when Sr. Managers discuss statistics. As A. E. Housman once said "To which, I often explain Statistics are [can be used] much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination". Careful how one "interprets" statistics. Could it be that members are so busy doing that they don't "report" the work they do. Thus the lack of work is more apparent than real.
The next big change coming is integration. The two communication centres on the island are being combined into one. This will be effective at the end of November. Having been through previous integrations in the Okanagan, there is a definite effect on quality of service. The big one is all the local knowledge is lost. But management doesn't care. It comes down to dollars and cents.
But is it really "saving" money. I'm probably preaching to the choir, but there are other things that add "value" beside being cheap. Often managers think saving money is (1) good for an organization and (2) the bottom line is the only line. It is important to look at the opportunity cost of these business decisions, most people understand they have to pay for services (of any kind). If they are paying for a service that is sub-par because the agency (whomever that may be) is saving money, confidence in their service is reduced, making it every more difficult to obtain funding (or purchases, depending on the service) in the future; a downward cycle could ensue.
I like the idea of "on line" reporting. Have even suggested it a few times, but the suggestions seem to go nowhere. Kelowna City had a good system when I was there, wherein not dispatchable calls went to a police information clerk, who obtained the information needed, created the file, provided the file number to the caller, and took whatever action was necessary to conclude the file.
What is even more useful, is that you will get lots of data that can then lead members to be used more effectively, intelligence. Focused patrols, undercover work, investigation. The police can't everywhere all the time, so why not use citizens as your sensors to direct your resources. What better way to engage in "community policing" than having citizens report and help the police reduce crime. Not to mention confidence in police will likely also follow.

Personally, I think all law enforcement agencies (and the broader public service), should devote more time and resources to looking at their mandate and having employees (of levels) engage in innovating. As much as I think this government (federally) has made errors, one thing I agree, is allowing employees to be the driver of innovation obviously with stakeholder input. Maybe, suggest that your agency have an "innovation hub", provide members with time and resources to look at how they can improve, efficiency and productivity, stakeholder experience, and employee experience. Perhaps, I'm out there, off my rocker.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

CrimeDoesntPay
Veteran Member

Postby CrimeDoesntPay » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:44 am

My service typically sends an officer to each and every call for service. My favourite ones are the "there's water coming onto my balcony from somewhere above!!" during a rain storm lol

No hate on Dispatch. We all have a job to do. We know who is responsible for sending us to those calls, because typically our dispatchers are smart enough to figure out whats legit and whats not.

On the flip side, I've been given total gash sounding dispatches, like "theres a pin hole leak coming from upstairs!" that turns out to be something like, a leaky faucet. That couldn't be turned off by the resident. Because he's dead. So you never know!
"...we're kinda like...Toronto Police's AHL team!"
In a world gone mad, the only thing between order and chaos is a thin blue line

Sworn Peace Officer

drslimbizzle
Rookie Member

Postby drslimbizzle » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:44 pm

In my experience, I have found that the "no call too small" philosophy increases the workload of lead investigators.

Depending on how your department/detachment/district office is organized, general duty members may be responsible for investigating a serious crime every now and then: a task that is extremely time consuming and demanding in nature.

When you add 30 calls a day that require nothing of investigational merit, general duty members become bogged down.

For example, "no call too small" requires police attend for many of the trivial calls the elderly/senile make to police (help me turn on the TV, my lawnmower wont start, etc).

I'm not sure whether much of the general public would appreciate that type of call straining general duty policing resources, especially in places where municipal budgets are tight and crime is rampant.
“As far as experience went, I was better off without chevrons and learned how to appreciate the trials of other men to an extent that I should never have been able to do had I been promoted.” - Sir Sam Steele

Stump

Postby Stump » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:03 pm

CrimeDoesntPay wrote:My service typically sends an officer to each and every call for service. My favourite ones are the "there's water coming onto my balcony from somewhere above!!" during a rain storm lol
I think the bar has been set even lower.

Having coffee with one of my old dispatch watch mates, who is now a watch clerk in the detachment. She was telling me about a recent "traffic file" that came through.

The caller was reporting someone whom they thought was unsafe to drive - because they were too fat..... :(
I would have been too embarassed to make a file on a call such as this, let alone having to dispatch the call to a member for follow up. :oops:

Thankfully the file got concluded very quickly. Can you imagine the fallout, had the person who had been identified as unsafe to drive because they were too fat, ATIP'd the call....

Stump

Tango5
King Poobah

Postby Tango5 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:19 am

There is an obvious reason why this file was concluded 'very' quickly.

To call this in is retarded.
ex :mrgreen: EDiv RCMP A/Constable
Traffic.. still Rocks.

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

mack_silent
King Poobah

Postby mack_silent » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:42 pm

The "no call too small" philosophy is similar to the garbage man episode of Simpsons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boAWFriUsMo
Piling on more and more responsibilities onto police, means they need more funding.

If citizens truly want police officers to show up to silly calls, then taxes will have to increase to fund it.
Of course that would only lead to another Simpsons reference (bear patrol tax).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtgvWZuyYKc
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:07 am

mack_silent wrote:The "no call too small" philosophy is similar to the garbage man episode of Simpsons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boAWFriUsMo
Piling on more and more responsibilities onto police, means they need more funding.

If citizens truly want police officers to show up to silly calls, then taxes will have to increase to fund it.
Of course that would only lead to another Simpsons reference (bear patrol tax).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtgvWZuyYKc
But bears should pay the bear tax, I pay the Homer tax.

Homer
Sage Member

Postby Homer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:28 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
But bears should pay the bear tax, I pay the Homer tax.
Tell it, brother!
"They have the Internet on computers now!"