Crime Prevention Society

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Re: Crime Prevention Society

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:49 am

All reply "The Greater Good" in unison.
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

shootemup
Sage Member

Postby shootemup » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:31 pm

"The Greater Good"

Baaa
Jackbooted Cig Enforcer

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Crusty jugglers!
:wave:

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:53 pm

It's impossible for any transit Specials or police to be more visible than they already are. GO transit, alone, is responsible for moving 250 000 people a day. That's lot of train and bus trips and those stretch from Niagara to Peterborough, then up past Georgetown.

TTC has 1.4 million subway users a day and over a million surface (bus and street car) users a day.

There's no way for a service the size of GO Transit Safety and TTC to increase their visibility with the numbers they have on systems that are expanding, both in infrastructure and ridership.

Volunteers wandering the system aren't the answer, in any way. It's different for "Citizens on Patrol" where they have the safety net of a vehicle to protect them, but they'd be terribly exposed walking a subway, train, or through bus terminals/stations.

As for pairing them with sworn officers.....yeah, no. Now the officer is now responsible for watching out for their own safety and some random member of the public's safety as well.

The best tool is education and awareness. Just as police can't be everywhere, neither can transit constables, so the public has to be aware and proactive for their own safety. Money needs to be spent on making the stations and terminals less "criminal friendly" (better lighting, more cameras, better designs), not allowing volunteers who, may or may not, go a bit further than they should when seeing a ctime committed.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:03 pm

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the CPS to do whatever they do however, like you said DW > it's risk they take.
I am not sure how these folks operate but when it comes to COP they have radios that are connected to their shift manager who upon receiving a radio call.. Calls police, either on phone or radio.

Not perfectly safe work environment when if in trouble one has to radio a one person who in turn radios another.

2/cents

.. Having volunteers do these type of thangs can work, but it has to be done right and with proper training. There are few examples in US and Europe where programs using volunteers are very successful.
Last edited by Tango5 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:41 pm

devilwoman wrote:It's impossible for any transit Specials or police to be more visible than they already are. GO transit, alone, is responsible for moving 250 000 people a day. That's lot of train and bus trips and those stretch from Niagara to Peterborough, then up past Georgetown.

TTC has 1.4 million subway users a day and over a million surface (bus and street car) users a day.

There's no way for a service the size of GO Transit Safety and TTC to increase their visibility with the numbers they have on systems that are expanding, both in infrastructure and ridership.

Volunteers wandering the system aren't the answer, in any way. It's different for "Citizens on Patrol" where they have the safety net of a vehicle to protect them, but they'd be terribly exposed walking a subway, train, or through bus terminals/stations.

As for pairing them with sworn officers.....yeah, no. Now the officer is now responsible for watching out for their own safety and some random member of the public's safety as well.

The best tool is education and awareness. Just as police can't be everywhere, neither can transit constables, so the public has to be aware and proactive for their own safety. Money needs to be spent on making the stations and terminals less "criminal friendly" (better lighting, more cameras, better designs), not allowing volunteers who, may or may not, go a bit further than they should when seeing a ctime committed.

In short..CPTED
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:29 pm

devilwoman wrote:It's impossible for any transit Specials or police to be more visible than they already are.

I have the solution! >>> HERE <<<
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

CBK

Postby CBK » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:08 am

CPTED is a great start and I'd LOVE to see those hats on a few folks :lol: :lol: :lol: