Cops VS Fireman..the reality.

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Tango5
Rookie Member

Re: Cops VS Fireman..the reality.

Postby Tango5 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:42 pm

Bump...

Fire Departments admit themselves that they do "little" fire fighting these days. In fact, the stats show that most of their calls are of medical type.

Tango5 wrote:Sirrey BC stats - calls for service.

Focus Shows Change In Our Career

Firefighters’ focus has changed. Departments like the Surrey Fire Services (SFS) are attending dramatically increasing numbers of medicals (almost 20,000 in 2010) and motor vehicle accidents (close to 4000 in 2010). In fact, out of over 26,000 calls to the SFS in 2010, only 1281 calls were fire related.

http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/12110.aspx
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Parking159

Postby Parking159 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:37 pm

In the GTA perhaps the underfunded paramedic services should have some of the fire department budget shifted over to them. If they are attending mostly medical calls and not fire calls maybe that's where the money should go instead.
Convincing a wise man is easy. Reasoning with a fool is difficult.

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:20 am

While I do respect firefighters (despite some friendly razzing) and the job they do, I also fully realize that the vast majority of their "fire" calls are false alarms, and the number of actual fires they attend is minimal. Fire safety codes and equipment in situ and in vehicles is so good these days that actual fires are pretty rare. It would make sense to shift funding from the fire to the ambulance service to reflect that. Paramedics are absolutely run off their feet where I live. They could use more men and buses on the road.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

SPARTAN
Veteran Member

Postby SPARTAN » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:05 am

More medical calls seems to be the reality everywhere - especially with an aging population.

It would seem prudent to cut fire, but every time cities threaten to do so, Fire cries that insurance premiums will go up. They also cry that they are absolutely mandated at certain coverage levels.
"Being in the army is like being a mushroom - kept in the dark, fed **** and keep coming back for more. " BMQ MCpl

Inspir
Veteran Member

Postby Inspir » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:01 am

Having worked in integrated fire and EMS service prior to policing here are my thoughts:

In most integrated services EMS is seen as a red headed step child. Experienced fire medics with the department normally "graduate" out of working on the ambulance and are replaced with green new recruits. This creates a power differential where the fire service is always on top and nurtured and EMS patient care and skills suffer. I feel that most employees of combined services think in a way that is fire first, EMS... meh. This is non conductive to continuing competency and reduces the chances of getting the best man/woman for the job when it comes to paramedical care in the community in question.

The fire service will always bid to have EMS and dispatch under them in order to inflate and thus justify large multimillion dollar pieces of fire equipment in an age where structure fire numbers are dwindling.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:46 am

I have an exponentially greater chance of needing a highly trained knowledgeable paramedic to save my life compared to the chance of needing a firefighter. I'd rather the medics have vastly superior medical knowledge and the firefighters have fire/extraction knowledge. It should be kept separate.

Regular Guy
Seasoned Member

Postby Regular Guy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:45 pm

Last edited by Regular Guy on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regular Guy
Seasoned Member

Postby Regular Guy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:03 pm

Last edited by Regular Guy on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:35 pm

Firefighters don't carry ASD'S. Police do. Firefighters also don't kick down doors. Police do. There's no reason for fire to be at medical calls. Also if you think it's only an extra $2000 in fuel costs that's ridiculous. In Toronto it could amount to $2000 per truck per month.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Regular Guy
Seasoned Member

Postby Regular Guy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:09 pm

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:32 pm

Regular Guy wrote:Well then I will qualify my comments and say that I was not referring specifically to Toronto. Elsewhere some firefighters do carry ASDs, and sometimes there is a circumstance where they will help medics gain entry if the medic cannot gain entry on their own. And also not all police detachments provide ASDs for their members. I can think of specific examples of each so it is fair to say that each municipality is unique and thus is going to have to make specific considerations for their municipality.

I'll be fair though and say that I have been called to an apartment building where the medics and firefighters were waiting for assistance to enter a bedroom. If they have safety concerns then that makes perfect sense. However, if granny calls of chest pain and they think she is unconscious on the other side of the door dying from a heart attack, then I'm sure they could articulate why they entered the residence. - I'm not saying it happens everyday and I know that is not why they are sending the firefighters in the first place, but I know that it does happen.

What would fire need to use an ASD for?
Are we confusing an ASD with an AED perhaps ...

What is it that you do for living exactly?

Regular Guy
Seasoned Member

Postby Regular Guy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:57 pm

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:14 pm

Regular Guy wrote:I mistyped, I did mean an AED as in a defibrillator.

Thanks, and sorry about the mix-up.

Typos happen.

Still. What is it that you do for living? I ask as you typed this:

I'll be fair though and say that I have been called to an apartment building where the medics and firefighters were waiting for assistance to enter a bedroom.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:22 am

Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

bunnel
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby bunnel » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:56 pm

bunnel wrote:I'm trying to find out more about fireman work so I can understand it better.

Can you please answer my earlier question:

"what per centage of your average "work" day do you spend in bed?"

Thanks in advance.

Well, sports fans, it looks like ol' gettothechoppa is going to let us down on this one. Can't blame him though, hell, if he answered this question the tax payers might start asking things like, "How many real calls do you go to in a day?", or "how much time do you spend shopping?", "does your hand shake every second Thursday?", "did you finish high school?" and other crazy queries. Or maybe, just maybe, he's running his butt off, working hard to protect his community, and just too darn busy to answer the question. We shall never know, it seems.