Cops VS Fireman..the reality.

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
WN85
Seasoned Member

Re: Cops VS Fireman..the reality.

Postby WN85 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:05 pm

gettothechoppa wrote:What justifies that ? Why not reverse the role, and have police cap out at 50K ?

You wouldn't have people to fill the positions if police made 50K a year. Recruiters are having a hard time finding suitable applicants as it is.

Its pretty easy for everyone to sit here and type out what you "think" you know about fire fighting. It is quite comical and sad at the same time.

We all have jobs to do, both services interact well together on the most part. A few keyboard commandos always trying to stir up shit ..

I'm not saying the job of a fire fighter isn't necessary. I just don't think they should be paid what they are paid.

I'd like to know the answer to bunnel's question as well. I can't think of another career where you are allowed to sleep on the job.

gettothechoppa
Rookie Member

Postby gettothechoppa » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:18 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
gettothechoppa wrote:
WN85 wrote:I don't think fire fighters should make as much as police. If they all had to be paramedics as well, they would have a better argument. I don't understand why medics make less than the fire fighters. It seems upside down. Most of them start off working part-time, too.

They could pay fire fighters $50k a year and they would still have people lining up.

What justifies that ?

Working one day a week and having a side business earning $75K+ a year under the table.

Please let me know where i can work one day a week, and earn 75k under the table ?

And if you think we are all sleeping peacefully for 8, 10 or 12 hours etc .. you are wrong. With call volumes way up, we are lucky to catch a few zzzz's between calls.
Police are no different, catching zzzz's. Hiding in the parks, or commercial areas or behind the fire stations ..

For those that complain, quit your job. And find a new one. You signed up for whatever career you are in.

WN85
Seasoned Member

Postby WN85 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:28 pm

gettothechoppa wrote:And if you think we are all sleeping peacefully for 8, 10 or 12 hours etc .. you are wrong. With call volumes way up, we are lucky to catch a few zzzz's between calls.
Police are no different, catching zzzz's. Hiding in the parks, or commercial areas or behind the fire stations ..

The key word you used was "hiding". I'm not allowed to sleep on the job. I would be charged for it, no doubt.

For those that complain, quit your job. And find a new one. You signed up for whatever career you are in.

Having a belief that someone else is overpaid isn't related to one's feelings about their own career.

gettothechoppa
Rookie Member

Postby gettothechoppa » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:32 pm

WN85 wrote:
gettothechoppa wrote:And if you think we are all sleeping peacefully for 8, 10 or 12 hours etc .. you are wrong. With call volumes way up, we are lucky to catch a few zzzz's between calls.

The key word you used was "hiding". I'm not allowed to sleep on the job. I would be charged for it, no doubt.

Having a belief that someone else is overpaid isn't related to one's feelings about their own career.

No, but having an explanation as to why you think they are overpaid is.

Unless you've done the job, and understand it fully than only you can make that judgement.

In my eyes, police/fire/ambulance are not paid enough to do what we do.

WN85
Seasoned Member

Postby WN85 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:45 pm

gettothechoppa wrote:No, but having an explanation as to why you think they are overpaid is.

Having an explanation for why I think firefighters are overpaid is related to my feelings about my career? I don't see how this follows.

gettothechoppa
Rookie Member

Postby gettothechoppa » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:50 pm

WN85 wrote:
gettothechoppa wrote:No, but having an explanation as to why you think they are overpaid is.

Having an explanation for why I think firefighters are overpaid is related to my feelings about my career? I don't see how this follows.

Sure. It means your miserable in your own current situation/salary that you feel the need to "hack" away someone elses career path.

Insecurity plays a big role with a few of you here.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Police are no different, catching zzzz's. Hiding in the parks, or commercial areas or behind the fire stations .. .

bunnel wrote:I'm trying to find out more about fireman work so I can understand it better.

Can you please answer my earlier question:

"what per centage of your average "work" day do you spend in bed?"

Thanks in advance.

Again, why should ANY job, let alone a FF, be paid to SLEEP while on-duty, unless you are be studied like a rat in a lab, and NOT the same as being paid 1-for-4 or -8 while on-call during non-scheduled hours for Police or other work?

8-, 10- or 12-hour shifts, do whatever needs to be done (inspect buildings for fire code, sift through ashes to determine cause of fire and start-point, interview witnesses, train, detail the vehicles, etc) then go home to sleep.

Longer shifts are stupid. If not enough work to stay busy, then cut back the shifts.

I will grant FF this - they HAVE been subject of great public- and self-generated public-relation promotions.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

bunnel
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby bunnel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:02 pm

gettothechoppa wrote:
WN85 wrote:

Sure. It means your miserable in your own current situation/salary that you feel the need to "hack" away someone elses career path.

You're the one that signed up to come onto a "law enforcement" forum and tell us all how hard you work, although I don't think you've convinced any of us that you earn your salary the way the police do. I don't go to fire forums (assuming you must have them....gotta keep up with "the cops"!) stirring up shit. I'm proud of my career and can easily articulate what we do and why we earn what we get paid. I'm not sure where you get this idea of insecurity.
I'm still waiting for an answer to the question....it's quite simple. How much time in the average shift in bed? Rest assured there are no police officers sleeping in the park that I've ever heard of....as mentioned above if they are, they'll be charged and the news media would roast them.

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:16 pm

Police wouldn't dare to fall asleep in their car in a park or anywhere else for fear someone would come up and murder them, never mind being charged under the police act.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

gettothechoppa
Rookie Member

Postby gettothechoppa » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:30 pm

Lol. You think i signed up here to tell you " how hard we work or how we earn our salary".

.. sigh .. I wear both uniforms (per say) blue and red.

I'll go back to just using this forum for info purposes, and not arguing in a mob mentality sort of way.

Stay safe out there, regardless of uniform, salary, sleep or no sleep. :D

WN85
Seasoned Member

Postby WN85 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:37 pm

gettothechoppa wrote:
WN85 wrote:

Epic logic fail.

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:22 pm

You're a paid police officer and a paid firefighter? How does that work?
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:38 pm

Toonces wrote:You're a paid police officer and a paid firefighter? How does that work?

One day a week at the old firehouse with full-time pay leaves a lot of free time for activities.

Sorry I couldn't help myself :mrgreen:

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:48 pm

When do you find the time to wash the firetruck and pose for calendars?
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:24 pm

WN85 wrote:...I can't think of another career where you are allowed to sleep on the job.
The Senate? :ponder:
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/