Cops VS Fireman..the reality.

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Re: Cops VS Fireman..the reality.

Postby IndictableChaser » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:49 pm

Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

gettothechoppa
Rookie Member

Postby gettothechoppa » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:40 pm

bunnel wrote:
bunnel wrote:I'm trying to find out more about fireman work so I can understand it better.

Can you please answer my earlier question:

"what per centage of your average "work" day do you spend in bed?"

Thanks in advance.

Well, sports fans, it looks like ol' gettothechoppa is going to let us down on this one. Can't blame him though, hell, if he answered this question the tax payers might start asking things like, "How many real calls do you go to in a day?", or "how much time do you spend shopping?", "does your hand shake every second Thursday?", "did you finish high school?" and other crazy queries. Or maybe, just maybe, he's running his butt off, working hard to protect his community, and just too darn busy to answer the question. We shall never know, it seems.

You are so right, I guess we will never know. :wave:

Nesdolian

Postby Nesdolian » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:09 am

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:42 am

I can't believe the real difference hasn't been posted yet..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jezSeQnfCg
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

CBK

Postby CBK » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:47 am

IndictableChaser wrote:(NSFW Swear words)

Swear words make something NSFW? Guess I'm heading home then. Thanks for the early start to the weekend IndictableChaser!! Hahahaha

ODIN
Veteran Member

Postby ODIN » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:07 pm

I have buddies who are FD, they are all good guys, but I do laugh and bug them when they bitch they didnt get any sleep on night shift. In almost 15 years of LEO work, I have never been paid to sleep on nights. Now I get that your workout got interrputed and then the Probie made crappy steak on the BBQ and then to top it off you got called out twice on a night shift to direct traffic and pick up a fat guy for EMS. Now your tired for your 0800 tee off time. Thems the brakes with working in Emergency services :mrgreen: Now to be fair to Fire and Police. My wife is a medic in a large city here in Canada over million population, she also works wanna of the busiest districts. In all her dealings with the FD and Police Service, she has nothing bad to say. The Hose jockeys have treated her awesome, any hall they share, dinner is on the table and popcorn is usally made, just toss into the kitty. The Municipal Police have been awesome as well, they need them and they come fast. Which is nice to hear, as Im posted 100km out of the city.
CTP-22

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:44 pm

CBK wrote:
IndictableChaser wrote:(NSFW Swear words)

Swear words make something NSFW? Guess I'm heading home then. Thanks for the early start to the weekend IndictableChaser!! Hahahaha

I don't know what you do for a living but if a white-shirt was to walk by my workstation and they heard a homophobic slur preceded by a vulgar pejorative I would be facing a few days off without pay. But hey, different jobs, different bosses, different tolerances.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

knmedic
Rookie Member

Postby knmedic » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:41 pm

Madeline236 wrote:
I thought I heard that cross training thing died?

It did.

Here is an opinion article from the Winnipeg Free Press with some local fire union shenanigans as well as a quick summary of the current 'merged' situation.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinio ... 68131.html

This was only ran recently so I'm sure in a few days the fire union will be...

returning fire.

bunnel
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby bunnel » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:48 pm

wow, there are actually some reasoned, articulate comments following the Free Press article on this issue.

Regular Guy
Seasoned Member

Postby Regular Guy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:23 pm

Last edited by Regular Guy on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:05 pm

Police Services: conduct general duty and traffic enforcement preventative patrols, investigate Municipal By-Law (some), Provincial Statute (most), Criminal Code (all) and Federal Statute (limited) offences, provide scene security / access / detour control for other Emergency Services Agencies, and public education. First Aid / AED provision if duties allow and equipment available.

Emergency Health / Medical Services: provide emergent medical care at non-treatment centre scenes, transportation from those scenes to treatment centres and between treatment centres (equipment and personnel "issues" allowing, unless specific non-EH/MS providers are available), and public education.

Fire / Rescue Services: provide emergency extrication (structural, transportation, aquatic), fire suppression, hazardous material containment / clean-up, structural preventive / risk mitigation inspections and public education. First Aid / AED provision if duties allow and equipment available.

Am I forgetting something here? If I can keep it straight, how can FF NOT?!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:57 am

Pete Broccolo wrote:Fire / Rescue Services: provide emergency extrication (structural, transportation, aquatic), fire suppression, hazardous material containment / clean-up, structural preventive / risk mitigation inspections and public education. First Aid / AED provision if duties allow and equipment available.

Not entirely true, depending on where you are the level of "service" provided depends very much on municipality. In Ontario, there is no "standard" of fire service, and many municipalities don't have hazardous materials training or equipment, yet have rail cars running through their municipalities transporting those very hazardous goods that the training or equipment would be needed for.

I hope the day will come when there is "common emergency services training" dealing largely with interoperability. That is not to say that police will do EMS, EMS does fire and fire does policing, but more consistent protocols on how the various services interact and support each other in various types of emergencies.

I don't think merging specalities is effective, speaking from a federal perspective seeking various departments merged into one. The front-line officer becomes a jack of all trades master of none.

But that's my perspective.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:26 pm

What more interoperability is required.? FF put out the flames & extricate, EMS treats the injured, Police protect the above Agencies & evidence by re-directing traffic then conducting the investigation.

Some things will need more work, such as arson or explosives, and use of plain language on the radio, but FF do NOT need to roll on EMS-only calls, EMS do not need to know the ORI of Regina Control, nor do the Police need to know how to handle a charged hose.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

Regular Guy
Seasoned Member

Postby Regular Guy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:49 pm

Last edited by Regular Guy on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:22 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:What more interoperability is required.? FF put out the flames & extricate, EMS treats the injured, Police protect the above Agencies & evidence by re-directing traffic then conducting the investigation.

From an Ontario perspective if you look at the Elliot Lake Mall Collapse Inquiry you will see that there was a problematic relations between the fire service, the OPP, and the municipality. At one point each leader of each organization thought they were in charge.

Ultimately, they were all well intentioned, perhaps at times pulling in different directions.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage