Cops VS Fireman..the reality.

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Dudley DoRight
Lord of the Poobahs

Cops VS Fireman..the reality.

Postby Dudley DoRight » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:36 pm

If firemen had to do their job like a cops...
If firemen had to do their jobs like cops:
A fire truck with one fireman would be sent to an address without a clear indication of the problem. The complainant is a neighbor who said they saw smoke or steam or something, maybe from the house or the alley or a vehicle. When the fire truck pulls up, the complainant runs outside and yells at the fireman for taking too long, and tells him not to park in front of his house. The fireman sees smoke from the house in question, so he knocks on the front door. After fifteen minutes of knocking, a person who barely speaks English answers the door and says there is no fire. Smoke is billowing out the door. The homeowner tells the fireman to screw off and slams the door in his face. The fireman goes to his truck and checks the computer to see if this house has burned before. He finds out the house has a history of fires, and smoke is now coming through the roof. The fireman requests a warrant to fight the fire, and has to state his reasons to believe the house is burning. Neighbors are now banging on the fire truck and screaming for the fireman to do something. A bystander is taking video with his cell phone and demanding to know the fireman's name and badge number. The fireman radios for another truck and two additional firemen. In about an hour they get the warrant, and they start to pour water on the house. Neighbors yell outside and complain the trucks are too loud. The firemen go inside, resuscitate the homeowner and put out the flames. The fireman then sits in his truck and makes notes while he eats a convenience store burrito and cold coffee. He writes a report to state why he thought the house was burning, how the fire was put out, and that they took no more steps than absolutely necessary. He makes a list of everybody that was affected by the fire, including their name, date of birth and address, and how they were affected. Before he finishes his reports, another complaint comes in and the same process occurs at another address. This happens five more times that shift. At the end of the shift the fireman goes back to the station and submits his reports to the captian, who asks if the fireman was sure all the houses that day had been on fire, and if he was justified in putting them all out. The report is then officially submitted. Seven months later the fireman is called to court to swear that the house was on fire, and that his warrant to fight the fire was accurate. The homeowner's lawyer cross examines the fireman and asks the exact temperature of the flames (in Celsius and farenheit), what stage the fire was at when the fireman first pulled up, the color of the carpet in the home, how much water they used, why they broke the lock on the door, why did the windows get smashed, would the house have burned if the firemen had not showed up at all, who reported the fire, how did they know it was smoke and not steam, if their fire truck was properly certified, and was their training up to date. Five months later the court rules that the house acutally had been on fire and the fireman was justified in putting it out, but they chastise the fireman for getting the rug dirty, wrecking a shrub, and bruising the homeowner's ribs doing CPR. The homeowner is awarded damages, and the fire department puts a disciplinary letter on his file for ruining the shrub. Six months later the fireman gets a photo radar ticket for speeding on the way to the fire and has to justify himself to his boss, the BCCLA, Pivot Legal Society, the media and a public enquiry.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Cops VS Fireman..the reality.

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:09 pm

If a police officer had to do their job like a fireman, all they would need is to learn how to barbecue and how to roof.

Done.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:35 pm

Haha that was funny......but.....very sad state of affairs.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:10 pm

So, once again, the smoke-eaters get the easy work to do?!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

cityblue
Veteran Member

Postby cityblue » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:32 pm

I love it!

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:39 pm

That was a funny yet some what real summary :D
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:59 pm

Lmao.
ex :mrgreen: EDiv RCMP A/Constable
Traffic.. still Rocks.

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:27 am

Fire has just done a better PR job than any other public service agency.

I think y'all just jealous.

My paramedic buddy mocks the fire guys and their "circle of life"
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

shootemup
Sage Member

Postby shootemup » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Love it!
Jackbooted Cig Enforcer

To a T
Grand Poobah

Postby To a T » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:48 pm

:thumbsup:
Last edited by To a T on Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:51 am

Really though....
Police/Fire... why the rivalry?
'Two completely different jobs.

I'd argue they're BOTH suffering from an over inflated view of their worth... As we all do.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

bunnel
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby bunnel » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:07 pm

Bitterman wrote:Really though....

I'd argue they're BOTH suffering from an over inflated view of their worth... As we all do.

It isn't so much a rivalry as simple animosity. We dislike them because they insist their worth is the same as ours and therefore their wages should match ours. That is their one and only bargaining strategy. Because like you say, they ARE two completely different jobs, (and they spend most of their time doing nothing), those of us on the police side get tired of them comparing themselves to us. They dislike us because we're actually out there making a difference every day....them, not so much.

sumo12
Rookie Member

Postby sumo12 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:17 pm

That's awesome!

In all seriousness though I was a firefighter and am now a police officer. They are two very different jobs. Both contribute a great deal to the community and do a dangerous job.

I have cut people out of cars, carried people from burning buildings, saved peoples homes from fire (yes you do save the odd one) and breathed for people using a bag all the way to the next city over because our hospital couldn't care for them. There were a couple times I can remember vividly where I did not think I would make it out of the home because I was in a tough spot.

As most of you already know the job of a police officer I don't need to go into much detail. But I can say I have been on many scenes where I don't even want to imagine what would happen if police where not there. Domestic violence, suspicious deaths, collisions, etc. Most incidents I obviously cannot post about but all other officers will know the kinds of things we run into. I have had people pull weapons on me and some of these situations have been very dangerous.

All of that said I chose policing in the end. It was a dream. I also didn't want to be board most of my day sitting in a fire hall waiting for something to come in. There were many hours spent on the x box or watching movies at the hall. Mostly its very boring and you do in fact usually just save basements.

I think that policing is the tougher job and there is more work involved for sure. There will always be a rivalry between police and fire. Some people participate in the rivalry because its always been there, others because they really don't like the other profession and I do it because I think its all in good fun. My brother is a firefighter still and I will always make fun of him for it.

Just thought I would throw in my $0.02
RCMP Regular member "K" Division

gettothechoppa
Rookie Member

Postby gettothechoppa » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:57 am

bunnel wrote:
Bitterman wrote:Really though....

It isn't so much a rivalry as simple animosity. We dislike them because they insist their worth is the same as ours and therefore their wages should match ours. That is their one and only bargaining strategy. Because like you say, they ARE two completely different jobs, (and they spend most of their time doing nothing), those of us on the police side get tired of them comparing themselves to us. They dislike us because we're actually out there making a difference every day....them, not so much.

SO much bullshit in your post.

It sounds like you are the only one with animosity, as 99% of Fire gets along with police and vice versa.
If you dont like one service or the other is your own attitude problem.

The days of "doing nothing" are long gone as most FD's are extremely busy. Stop into a hall one day and have a chat with the FF's on shift. They will extend a warm welcome to you.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:32 am

bunnel wrote: They dislike us because we're actually out there making a difference every day....them, not so much.

Immodest post is immodest... Lol.

I suppose "making a difference" applies to every single fucking job there is... At least to somebody.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.