BC Legislature arming their Security personnel.

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Sec380CCC
Veteran Member

Re: BC Legislature arming their Security personnel.

Postby Sec380CCC » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:23 pm

BC Interpretation Act

"peace officer" includes

(a) a mayor, sheriff and sheriff's officer,

(b) a warden, correctional officer, and any other officer or permanent employee of a penitentiary, prison, correctional centre or youth custody centre, and

(c) a police officer, police constable, constable or other person employed for the preservation and maintenance of the public peace;

This appears to be the catch all for Hospitals, Bylaw enforcement, CVSE etc that aren't mentioned specifically here, however CVSE peace officers are defined specifically in the MVA, and therefore are not appointed as SPC.

So for hospital peace officers - SPC's they are not...

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:03 am

Sec380CCC wrote:I'm not sure why they list Peace Officer in the Job Description and Basic Security Training as a requirement.

You can't hold SPC status and a Security licence in BC for the same job. They are probably referring to enforcing 494 of the CC and refer to them as Peace Officers. There is no mention of Peace Officer appointments in the Hospital Act and I think the only SPC's in a hospital in BC work at Colony Farms, where the patients are not permitted to leave.

I could be wrong about the hospitals though, not sure. Maybe it's just that one hospital in Victoria BC?

MLEO powers?

Look, the fact of the matter is if me (or anyone else) fresh out high school at the age of 18 could get a job carrying batons, cuffs and firearms as an armed security guard for something as little as carrying 300 bucks in rolled quarters, or sitting in a check cashing place with a shotgun, or anything else relating to monetary value but take the same person and put them directly responsible for the safety of PEOPLE yet granting an ATC seems absurd people look at you as if merely bringing up the idea is ludicrous. It just makes no sense :crazy:

Anyways, I guess there are just some things that I won't ever understand in this country.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

shootemup
Sage Member

Postby shootemup » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:05 pm

I don't know anything more than what was posted, but perhaps it is a local MLEO designation. I know the Forensic Security Officers working the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital are designated SPC, but they work under the Provincial Health Services Authority which operates the facility. The local health authorities don't operate the mental health dentention facilities.

The pay for the VIHA posting security officer is more than the forensic security officers get from PHSA - go figure.
Jackbooted Cig Enforcer

Sec380CCC
Veteran Member

Postby Sec380CCC » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:57 am

I forgot to add that in BC - you might be in one of 3 categories as a LEO other than the "Police"

You could be employed in one of these categories or be appointed in all 3 depending on your job duties and enforcement functions, mandate and limitations.

(1) SPC - Special Provincial Constable (Criminal Investigations, Intel sharing) or where the legislation you enforce for offences does not appoint Peace Officers.

(2) Enforcement Officer as designated/appointed under the Offence Act to write tickets for designated offences, http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/ ... g/89_97_02

(3) Peace Officer - as appointed under regulation (CVSE, Conservation Officer, Park Ranger, Forest Officer, etc), by a crown corporation, public body or city/municipality.

Or you could be a Federal Peace officer (Fisheries, Game Warden, Park Warden, CBSA) which has nothing to do with the Provincial Appointments.

shootemup
Sage Member

Postby shootemup » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:12 pm

Over my provincial career I've been in a category designated by the Parks Act, as part of a Order-in-Council formed organization, by name by ICBC under under the MVA/VTAFR, and by name by the minister for my current gig. Other than the first one, it is amusing because you are hired, but have no real authority to actually work in the position until the letter or order comes through stating you are an officer designated by the minister or whomever under whatever Act. It has taken 8 months before while I sat around and twiddled my thumbs, because there was a cabinet shuffle.
Jackbooted Cig Enforcer

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:05 am

Tango5 wrote:As far as it maybe justified...
41K cost to arm their 40 to 45 personell seems kind of low.

I am not sure what the cost of a sidearm is as far as a Government price, but what about training?
1000.00$ for a sidearm an training?

The body armour alone is going to cost them at least $25K-$30K. Then the guns themselves, holsters, etc., then training, the cost of training ammunition (do they know that most agencies wait a YEAR for ammo to be delivered?), etc.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:55 am

shootemup wrote:I don't have first hand knowledge but here's a job description:
https://viha.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/js_job ... eqid=14868

From the posting:
Eligibility for certification as a Peace Officer. A Police Officers' Physical Ability Test (POPAT) time suitable to the organization.

shootemup wrote:In BC you've got peace officer designations for inhouse hospital security in some places, gaming enforcement, liquor control, SPCA, civilian court liaison officers, civilian evidence custodians, forestry compliance, etc.

Minus Colony Farms, there is not a single hospital in BC that has Special Constables anymore. Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) had their SPC status relinquished ages ago. While they still have mention of it in their ads, they are not peace officers. The only reason they mention that an applicant must be eligible for Peace Officer status is because VIHA have been entertaining the idea of returning SPC status to their guards for the past several years now. So, in case they have SPC status returned, you have to be eligible for it. No point in hiring someone who can't obtain SPC status due to some prior history.

This knowledge comes from previous conversations with recruiters and LEOs that I have spoken to who were previously employed by VIHA.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

shootemup
Sage Member

Postby shootemup » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:20 pm

Thanks for clarifying that one.
Jackbooted Cig Enforcer