Quitting after grad

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Tango5
Rookie Member

Quitting after grad

Postby Tango5 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:33 pm

I am obviously bored and have nothing better to do than ask useless questions. :twisted:

Anyone knows what happens in a situation when a cadet, well... A member, quits the job after a month on it?
Let's say one gets his/hers first posting, spends a month there and quits for whatever reason they might have... then, after a year or so they want to get back on...

Do they just get the job back or do they have to re-do anything beside security?

>out of curiosity<
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

th
Veteran Member

Re: Quitting after grad

Postby th » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:38 pm

Why would an organization rehire you after you walked out of them after they invested thousands of dollars training you? Fool me once ...
:wave:

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:49 pm

As far as I share your thought th...

Wouldn't that mean the investment is gone for good?
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:59 pm

The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour.

That being said, they don't let me make those sorts of decisions ...
:wave:

GPZ
Grand Poobah

Postby GPZ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:15 am

I'd say someone who quits one month after training renders their training pretty much useless. That's why you typically need at least two years on to be considered an experienced member for hiring purposes, and that's if you're a serving member, and even then most services make you jump through all their recruiting hoops and do a modified field training. It's not like that hypothetical person with one month experience could just pick up where they left off. They'd be starting from scratch, even if they convinced recruiting to hire them again.

xmber
Veteran Member

Postby xmber » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:38 am

It's a two sided coin ..

On one hand, I know members who have quit after one month and have been hired by another agency straight away. The new agency agreed to continue the officer's field training and they evolved to be solid members ... no issues whatsoever.

On the other hand, if you quit your agency without finishing field training - you're pretty much hooped. If another agency refuses to take you on board to complete, you're done. Game over.

In my experience, this situation typically plays out with members from the RCMP who refuse to take their posting in some god awful location. I know of two members that successfully had a municipal agency finish their field training and their careers are great. I also know of a few that didn't get picked up by a muni agency and they are no longer in policing.

As for re-applying if you didn't get picked up straight away. Yeah, good luck with that.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:54 pm

There was a show a few years back about members going through Depot. There was a guy who had quit Depot before graduation, reapplied and was hired a second time. I can't remember if he quit again.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:22 pm

meathead1 wrote:There was a show a few years back about members going through Depot. There was a guy who had quit Depot before graduation, reapplied and was hired a second time. I can't remember if he quit again.

Courage in Red?

danoman
Veteran Member

Postby danoman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:08 pm

Mr. Islander wrote:
meathead1 wrote:There was a show a few years back about members going through Depot. There was a guy who had quit Depot before graduation, reapplied and was hired a second time. I can't remember if he quit again.

Courage in Red?

One of the cadets documented in that show is now a BSO.

Edit - Was actually Mounties Under Fire, not Courage in Red.
Last edited by danoman on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For everything you need to know in life, watch the Lion King and read the Da Vinci Code.

MC07
Rookie Member

Postby MC07 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:15 pm

I saw that same show I think, a RCMP cadet who quit once after a week of training applied again, and quit yet again after another week at Depot.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:47 pm

Mr. Islander wrote:

Courage in Red?

That could quite possibly be it.

gregc

Postby gregc » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Constable

Life is not a dress rehearsal. Decide, then do!

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:37 am

But he did it twice. And more importantly, the RCMP hired him a second time!! You go to depot and it's not for you,then so be it. But for the force to hire him a second time and he does the same thing????

Depot Web
Rookie Member
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Newly engaged members who resign from the RCMP before the completion of their probationary period (two years), must pay back the Cadet Recruitment Allowance ($12,000).

Returning to the RCMP after a resignations is handled on a case by case basis depending on length of service, how much time had elapsed, the reasons for leaving and more.

As for quitting before you even get the badge, everyone who resigns from the Cadet Training Program has their own reasons. I've seen cadets suffer major family tragedies and others who had a simple change of heart. While I understand it is difficult to see someone walk away from an opportunity that you have been waiting your whole life for, remember that their motivations are not the same as yours. I doubt anyone's decision to leave was an easy one.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division