Washington Redskins name change

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Floydie
Seasoned Member

Washington Redskins name change

Postby Floydie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:17 am

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office ruled Wednesday that the Washington Redskins' name is "disparaging of Native Americans" and should be stripped of trademark protection -- a decision that puts powerful new financial and political pressure on the NFL team to rename itself.
By a vote of 2-1, the agency's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board sided with five Native Americans in a dispute that has been working its way through legal channels for more than two decades.
The ruling doesn't directly force the team to abandon the name, but it adds momentum to the campaign at a time of increasing criticism of Redskins owner Dan Snyder from political, religious and sports figures who say it's time for a change.
"If the most basic sense of morality, decency and civility has not yet convinced the Washington team and the NFL to stop using this hateful slur, then hopefully today's patent ruling will, if only because it imperils the ability of the team's billionaire owner to keep profiting off the denigration and dehumanization of Native Americans," Oneida Indian representative Ray Halbritter and National Congress of American Indians Executive Director Jackie Pata, two of the leading forces in the campaign to change the name, said in a statement.
The Redskins quickly announced they will appeal, and the team's name will continue to have trademark protection while the matter makes its way through the courts -- a process that could take years.
A similar ruling by the board in 1999 was overturned on a technicality in 2003.
"We've seen this story before," Redskins attorney Bob Raskopf said. "And just like last time, today's ruling will have no effect at all on the team's ownership of and right to use the Redskins name and logo. We are confident we will prevail once again."
Snyder and others associated with the team have long argued that the Redskins name is used with respect and honour and is a source of pride among many American Indians.
The ruling involves six uses of the Redskins name trademarked by the team from 1967 to 1990. It does not apply to the team's American Indian head logo.
If it stands, the team will still be free to use the name but will lose a lot of its ability to protect its financial interests. It will be more difficult for the team to go after others who print the Redskins name on sweatshirts, jerseys or other gear without permission.
"Joe in Peoria is going to have a pretty good argument that he could put the 'Redskins' name on some T-shirt," said Brad Newberg, a copyright law expert in Virginia.
Newberg estimated that the ruling, if upheld, could cost the team tens of millions of dollars per year. Forbes magazine puts the value of the Redskins franchise at $1.7 billion and says $145 million of that is attributable to the team's brand.
The board exercised its authority under a section of the Trademark Act of 1946 that disallows trademarks that may disparage others or bring them into contempt or disrepute. Over the years, the courts have rejected arguments that the First Amendment guarantees the right to register any name as a trademark.
In reaching its decision, the board drew on the testimony of three experts in linguistics and lexicography and combed through old dictionaries, books, newspapers, magazines and even vintage movie quotes to examine the history of "redskin," looking specifically at whether it was considered disparaging at the time the trademarks were issued. http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sports/washington-redskins-to-be-stripped-of-trademarks-due-to-disparaging-name-1.1874590
CX-1 @ Millhaven

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Re: Washington Redskins name change

Postby meathead1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:59 pm

bullshit.
That is all.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:36 pm

KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

KSG
Rookie Member

Postby KSG » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm on board with the push to change the name. If there was a team named the "Louisiana Darkies" or something similar with a logo that represented an African tribal group, I'd be pretty offended. I don't see how anyone can make an argument that the term Redskin is endearing to any group of people. Think of the many nicknames for White ethnic groups that stem from physical traits, picture those on a helmet and tell me people wouldn't be upset.
Calgary Police Service

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:34 pm

What ever the new name is, just don't write on a "Black board" or use "White out" to correct the mistake! :cry:
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

Borderwatchman
Grand Poobah

Postby Borderwatchman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:01 pm

Boo hoo....Redskins they shall remain.

CBK

Postby CBK » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:17 pm

mack_silent wrote:"Change the logo to a potato"...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/1 ... 00570.html

BWAHAHAHAHAHA,

I get the issue isn't funny but this made me laugh hard.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:10 pm

The name was chosen to pay homage to Native groups, who were revered for being fierce competitors.
I wouldn't give a shit if there was a team names the Honkeys or the Crackers.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:58 pm

I'm with you, VanSmack. Time to change. Just a stubborn old man trying to justify his outdated views. Sad that people buy into it over a stupid sports team claiming tradition as their defense. I can think of a few other names that may have been acceptable 60 years ago but most of us have moved forward.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:48 pm

Speaking as a Scandinavian-American I demand a change to the name and logo of Minnesota's football team.

The logo stereotypes Scandinavian-American's as blonde pigtail wearers. When in fact many of us are brunette or even redheaded and very few men wear pigtails any longer. It further includes the ridiculous Hollywood fiction of the horned helmet which was never even worn by any of my fore-bearers yet it's offensive persistence as a mark of my culture remains. Additionally, the name glorifies and typifies my ancestors as rapists and pillagers when in fact we Scandinavian-American's only did this for a small portion of our proud history. For the last millennium have raped to no greater extent than any other culture and have almost entirely eradicated pillaging from Nordic civilization. We have so much more to offer and be known for than this short, violent and shameful period in our history.

If the Redskins go, take the Viking with them.

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:52 pm

VanSmack wrote:
BROVO26 wrote:What ever the new name is, just don't write on a "Black board" or use "White out" to correct the mistake! :cry:

Those things aren't even remotely similar to what this issue is about. I really have no idea if you are serious, but if you legitimately believe that then I feel very, very sorry for you.

Am I serious?.............oh hell no! I am just poking fun at the whole situation .
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:22 am

KSG wrote:Think of the many nicknames for White ethnic groups that stem from physical traits, picture those on a helmet and tell me people wouldn't be upset.

You mean kind of like The Minnesota Vikings, The Notre Dame Fighting Irish, The Boston Celtics, The New York Knicks (term for dutch settlers in New York once upon a time), The Houston Texans, The Montreal Canadiens, and The Vancouver Canucks?

It's the name of a sports team. It's not mean to disparage, belittle, or offend anyone. It's a friggen team that plays a sport to entertain people. Jesus effing christ people need to stop being so outraged and offended by every little thing in life.