Do LEOs value Security personel?

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Re: Do LEOs value Security personel?

Postby IndictableChaser » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:22 am

basketcase wrote:
IndictableChaser wrote:
mack_silent wrote:Private security companies care about one thing: profit.

Minus inhouse.

In house/loss prevention care about profit too. The less thievery that's going on in the stores means the more profit that can be made because profits aren't covering losses due to theft.

A lot of them fall under Private investigators, and that's different kind of profit.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

shootemup
Sage Member

Postby shootemup » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:00 pm

More like 2 times, but yes, you'd be correct.

I'm basing it off of the one example I was aware of - the vendor billing us over $60/hr for one guard sitting in the corner making $10/hr and hopefully making sure the trades contractors weren't walking out with who knows what. I guess because it was a gov't contract, the price went up.
Jackbooted Cig Enforcer

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:32 pm

shootemup wrote:
More like 2 times, but yes, you'd be correct.

I'm basing it off of the one example I was aware of - the vendor billing us over $60/hr for one guard sitting in the corner making $10/hr and hopefully making sure the trades contractors weren't walking out with who knows what. I guess because it was a gov't contract, the price went up.

You got ripped off, badly. I work for a company that charges $25/h for that sort of detail, and the guard is making $11/h-$12.50/h; the client was government too.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:03 pm

shootemup wrote:I think someone running a security company has a vested interest in attracting schmucks who will work for minimum wage (or close to it) so the owner can bill 4 to 6 times as much and "make as much as four officers in a year".

That is certainly my experience when I did it during college. Barely above minimum-wage pay, no training, had to pay for uniforms, sites that were just plain dangerous to work at due to criminality and working alone to save money, clients with expectations that you'd be their private police force but without the safety equipment or ability to call backup, etc etc.

I don't envy the poor Police Foundations kids they still con into the job thinking it's a "stepping stone" to policing. It's not anywhere close. You'd be better off working for a company that treats you right, pays you decent, is safe, and lets you interact with people and solve problems. You're no better off in a Police interview having worked Security than having worked selling guns at Bass Pro or shoes at Reebok.

mleo87
Rookie Member

Postby mleo87 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:56 am

That is certainly my experience when I did it during college. Barely above minimum-wage pay, no training, had to pay for uniforms, sites that were just plain dangerous to work at due to criminality and working alone to save money, clients with expectations that you'd be their private police force but without the safety equipment or ability to call backup, etc etc.

This sums my past experience in security as well. I would like to ad the severe incompetence and lack of understanding of the Criminal Code and Trespass to Property Act of most managers and supervisors.

Floydie
Seasoned Member

Postby Floydie » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:34 pm

mleo87 wrote:

This sums my past experience in security as well. I would like to ad the severe incompetence and lack of understanding of the Criminal Code and Trespass to Property Act of most managers and supervisors.

Indeed :roll:
CX-1 @ Millhaven

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:32 am

Had pretty much no issues as a security officer with local police. I believe it's how you represent yourself, how you speak and how you act in their presence to if they're going to respect you or not. If you're able to show knowledge, experience and a level of familiarization with your role, most people will take you seriously regardless if they have a badge and a gun or not.

Building a working relationship with local police I found to be as easy as ensuring I had all relevant information ready to present to the first police officer on scene and to look like I had a place there instead of just a warm body standing around. I knew they appreciated and I knew it looked highly favorable upon myself.

I have never really felt intimated, looked down upon nor felt like I was judged or treated differently by local police merely because I had on a security uniform. The only negative incident I can recall was when I got snapped at by a senior connie for not having the stolen goods in my possession to show him. In my defense, I wasn't an LPO, it wasn't my arrest and I was dragged away from my patrols to assist the LPO in question apprehending a shoplifter. I don't believe the grumpiness was personally aimed at me, he was likely just annoyed that the LPO had disappeared to do something else thus wasting his time. Oh well.

Not to toot my own horn but I have physically assisted police officers in exercising arrests or controlling subjects and never had any issues with it either. I would assume most police officers would be appreciative of an extra set of hands when you're wrestling with some junkie (or anyone for all it matters) trying to get him/her under control. Along as you're not totally inept where you start smashing both the perp and officer with your ASP (I've heard stories :D).

Tony-Boogie
Rookie Member

Postby Tony-Boogie » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:42 pm

Haven't had any bad experiences with local security agencies myself. Footprints Security, they drive a little Prius, tends to get pulled over weekly for any number of traffic offences.

Security and bouncers tend to get a bad reputation by having two categories of people employed.
1. Switched on high speed person that generally doesn't last long as they apply for a LE job.
2. Person that wants to be like #1 but doesn't have the drive, competence, or integrity.

Can't help but thinking of security guard Kevin (Jim Jeffries) after reading some of these posts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGGQWfLzkeE
He said I was a POG, I said he's resisting arrest...

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:30 pm

Tony-Boogie wrote:Haven't had any bad experiences with local security agencies myself. Footprints Security, they drive a little Prius, tends to get pulled over weekly for any number of traffic offences.

Security and bouncers tend to get a bad reputation by having two categories of people employed.
1. Switched on high speed person that generally doesn't last long as they apply for a LE job.
2. Person that wants to be like #1 but doesn't have the drive, competence, or integrity.

Can't help but thinking of security guard Kevin (Jim Jeffries) after reading some of these posts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGGQWfLzkeE

Whats the point of security in BC (apart from insurance deduction)? No disrespect to the workers/companies. But it's the only province that prohibits the use of any weapons by security personnel, why?

Tony-Boogie
Rookie Member

Postby Tony-Boogie » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:33 pm

They don't prohibit per say, they just have extreme control over the use and carry or weapons. The Security Services Act only mentions weapons once, to state that the Lieutenant Governor in Council makes the rules respecting the use and carrying of them. As for firearms, only the cash truckers get to roll with a pew-pew device. BC is a special place. Considering the prime location for shipping, Pacific and US access, you would think the government and private businesses would want some protection for their assets. A lot full of sea containers fresh from across the pond would be a juicy target, who wouldn't want millions of dollars worth of Apple products. Or to have easy shipping routes for contraband.

Not saying unarmed security guards standing around isn't adequate but... :pistols: vs :boxer:

diver63748
Rookie Member

Postby diver63748 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:22 pm

As a police officer, I like security for access to video footage, statements and ensuring access to areas is restricted. I do not ever believe that security guards should have access to pepper spray or firearms. I do not like the idea of weapons in the public without lots of "friends/training" ensuring those weapons are properly restricted. I also very much prefer the fewest firearms in the public as possible.

I want help but do not want the liability of weapons in the public. I know that security can stop "attacks" sooner if they can confront the attackers/thief but do not believe that weapons especially firearms will assist in this. Shipments are insured for a reason.

Just my opinion

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:05 pm

Tony-Boogie wrote:They don't prohibit per say, they just have extreme control over the use and carry or weapons. The Security Services Act only mentions weapons once, to state that the Lieutenant Governor in Council makes the rules respecting the use and carrying of them. As for firearms, only the cash truckers get to roll with a pew-pew device. BC is a special place. Considering the prime location for shipping, Pacific and US access, you would think the government and private businesses would want some protection for their assets. A lot full of sea containers fresh from across the pond would be a juicy target, who wouldn't want millions of dollars worth of Apple products. Or to have easy shipping routes for contraband.

Not saying unarmed security guards standing around isn't adequate but... :pistols: vs :boxer:

O rly?

11 (1) Subject to subsection (2), a security worker licensee must not carry or use while engaged in security work, and a person must not cause a security worker licensee to carry or use while engaged in security work, any of the following:

(a) a restraining device;

(b) any weapon, ammunition or device prohibited by the Criminal Code;

(c) any other item designed for debilitating or controlling a person or animal

Tony-Boogie
Rookie Member

Postby Tony-Boogie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:01 pm

IndictableChaser, we may be using differnet Pubs. I got my info from the Security Services Act as found on the bclaws website (link below). Your para 11 and the one I see are vastly different. The conclusion I made about the Lieutenant Governor in Council having the authority to allow a security worker to carry weapons comes from Part 6, para 52(3)(d). If I am wrong I will readily admit so.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/07030_01 Current Mar 9, 2016

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:36 pm

Tony-Boogie wrote:IndictableChaser, we may be using differnet Pubs. I got my info from the Security Services Act as found on the bclaws website (link below). Your para 11 and the one I see are vastly different. The conclusion I made about the Lieutenant Governor in Council having the authority to allow a security worker to carry weapons comes from Part 6, para 52(3)(d). If I am wrong I will readily admit so.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/07030_01 Current Mar 9, 2016

No need to apologize, I was just curious about why bc is, well bc :)

Tony-Boogie
Rookie Member

Postby Tony-Boogie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:55 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:
Tony-Boogie wrote:IndictableChaser, we may be using differnet Pubs. I got my info from the Security Services Act as found on the bclaws website (link below). Your para 11 and the one I see are vastly different. The conclusion I made about the Lieutenant Governor in Council having the authority to allow a security worker to carry weapons comes from Part 6, para 52(3)(d). If I am wrong I will readily admit so.

No need to apologize, I was just curious about why bc is, well bc :)

Whoa, pump the brakes big cheese, I don't apologize until I'm proven wrong ;)