Do LEOs value Security personel?

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Rookie Member

Do LEOs value Security personel?

Postby 800800 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:33 am

Basic question: do LEOs value security guards, LP, and bouncers?
Just curious, because over the years working as a security guard I've always had the few LEOs I've dealt with give me a good deal of respect- just wondering if this is the norm or not?
PRIVATE SECURITY GUARD
LOOKING FOR A JOB!! Located 45mins away from Ottawa, Ontario! Message me if you know of any open positions!

Lights
Seasoned Member

Re: Do LEOs value Security personel?

Postby Lights » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:39 am

Depends on how you are.

I worked in a mall, and had a great relationship with all the officers in the serving division. Many became personal friends.

Simply put, if your a cowboy "No", if you know your stuff, and are a solid person then "Yes".

But again, these are my opinions.
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:35 am

800800 wrote:Basic question: do LEOs value security guards, LP, and bouncers?
Just curious, because over the years working as a security guard I've always had the few LEOs I've dealt with give me a good deal of respect- just wondering if this is the norm or not?

No different than any other person.
If you are a decent person I will treat you decent, if not...
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:46 am

I'm gonna go with no. Like firefighters, security/bouncers/whatever else, always seem to get in the way.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

To a T
Grand Poobah

Postby To a T » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:33 pm

:thumbsup:
Last edited by To a T on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie Member

Postby 800800 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:51 am

To a T wrote: Unfortunately in Security when you pay peanuts, you get monkeys which is why the reputation of the security profession suffers as a whole.

Took the words out of my mouth man.

And LOL @ basketcase. I've defintely heard that about the hose-monkeys before. :P
PRIVATE SECURITY GUARD
LOOKING FOR A JOB!! Located 45mins away from Ottawa, Ontario! Message me if you know of any open positions!

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:58 am

I always was treated with respect by Police when I worked security. At the Hotel in Toronto we had a really good relationship with TPS (as we were just down the road from HQ) While working this past year as a seasonal LEO (Non-Police) I was once again treated very well by the OPP we dealt with in the park, and we always treated the Alarm Guys who showed up with respect as well. My personal stance, is that as long as people do their job properly, treat everyone with respect, and stay in their respective lanes and know where their role and mandate starts and ends all is good.

But to paraphrase To a T, When you pay Bananas, you get monkeys.... so I've also seen a lot of SG's who leave much to be desired. :/
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:33 am

I've seen this from both sides of the fence. When I used to work security at a hospital (probably among the most dangerous in the country) we had a great relationship with the local police and one of them remarked to me once that he used to work there and that's where he gained much of the experience that helped him land a job with the PD. I was fortunate to work with an excellent team, though, and since we all quit en-masse things have gone way down hill there.

I also know that the previous observation about monkeys and peanuts is absolutely true. Due to the state of the security industry in BC, you tend to get two kinds of people on that job - the switched on guys who know their stuff and are good at dealing with people, and the pylons who can often barely speak english and don't have the first clue. The former tend to go on to jobs in law enforcement, while the latter are left to fill the ranks of the majority of security jobs.

If I encounter security types in the course of my job, I value them if they're the former type. If they're the latter, I treat them with the same courtesy and respect I treat everyone else, but I know what to expect. Not much.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:52 am

I especially love airport security that tells me to remove my duty belt and hand it to them (complete with prohibited weapons) for inspection.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:16 am

Punisher-One wrote:I especially love airport security that tells me to remove my duty belt and hand it to them (complete with prohibited weapons) for inspection.

How often does this happen?
K division.

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:19 am

Punisher-One wrote:I especially love airport security that tells me to remove my duty belt and hand it to them (complete with prohibited weapons) for inspection.

I sincerely hope (although knowing you from here I'm sure I know the answer) that you tell them to pound sand and carry on with your business.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:37 am

You dont do it do you?

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:59 pm

HA, that's hilarious.

I would laugh at them.
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:32 pm

Happened to me once. Have heard many other stories of it happening.

Not an effing chance I listened. After I was able to process what he was telling me to do I simply told him he was going to get out of my way or get arrested. He moved out of the way and his Supervisor very quickly educated him on their policies.

The best story ever is the time Officers were responding to a "man down" call lights and sirens and had a security guard refuse immediate access to the area (made Officers scan their prints and even searched the cruisers trunk) because in his personal opinion CBSA is not "emergency response personnel". Flashing red/blue lights and wailing sirens legally responding to a call in a Customs Controlled area seems pretty "emergency response" to me. It blows my mind that numpties of this magnitude are able to even get themselves dressed in the morning let alone maintain employment.

To a T
Grand Poobah

Postby To a T » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:11 pm

:roll:
Last edited by To a T on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.