CBSA, RCMP, CSC, and Military Funding to be Slashed

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Whistler22
Seasoned Member

CBSA, RCMP, CSC, and Military Funding to be Slashed

Postby Whistler22 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:20 pm

What is the term now, "more with less"? My condolences to anyone in these hiring processes.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/po ... 85831.html

Cliff notes:

CBSA budget cut 17.5%
CSC budget cut 14.2%
National Defence budget cut 13%
RCMP budget cut 2.7%

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Re: CBSA, RCMP, CSC, and Military Funding to be Slashed

Postby Mr. Islander » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:41 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

portcullisguy
Grand Poobah

Postby portcullisguy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:16 pm

Meh.

The Sun seems to be the only one reporting this at the moment, perhaps it will come but I wouldn't lose any sleep. DRAP was supposed to see all kings of positions and people go and that hasn't happened yet.
portcullisguy
"You work your side of the street, I'll work mine."

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whistler22
Seasoned Member

Postby Whistler22 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:43 pm

I always remember it being a big deal that they were going to INCREASE border security and defence... part of the whole "Standing Up For Canada" BS.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:51 pm

Mr. Islander wrote:Interesting.

Maybe I need more coffee, but CTV (http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/defence- ... -1.1172547) is reporting the RCMP is actually receiving more funding.

[quote

Several other departments will see more money, however, including many central to the federal government's tough-on-crime agenda.

They include the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada, and the Security Intelligence Review Committee. The estimates also point to bigger budgets for Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada, the National Research Council, Citizenship and Immigration Canada, and Canadian Heritage.

Maybe I have bad coffee issues but this quote does not seem to appear in the link anymore.

Maybe we need to skip the media and go to the source document they are supposedly using:
www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/est-pre/20132014/me-b ... pd-eng.pdf (PAGE 337)

RCMP is "estimated" to have it budget cut $25.4 Million. Most coming from operating expenses.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:38 pm

The Conservative government continues to disappointing me. I voted for them on a "law and order" type platform not a "slash the budget of frontline law enforcement, corrections, and the military" platform....way to go and do exactly the OPPOSITE of what we wanted!!!

My prediction for CBSA budget cuts....more cuts to frontline programs such as Officers, equipment, Canine dog teams, and other useful things while no cuts to management, supervisors, or upper office money-wasters.

ksigmark
Rookie Member

Postby ksigmark » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:34 am

The budget cuts are hitting hard, especially in terms of Maintenance. I don't really want to get into details publicly, but it's bad, really bad.
RIP Cpl Mike Starker 6 May 2008

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:43 am

ksigmark wrote:The budget cuts are hitting hard, especially in terms of Maintenance. I don't really want to get into details publicly, but it's bad, really bad.

Same here. It is hardest hit with staffing for us. The term "skeleton crew" could describe it.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:05 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dira necessitas » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Punisher-One wrote:My prediction for CBSA budget cuts....more cuts to frontline programs such as Officers, equipment, Canine dog teams, and other useful things while no cuts to management, supervisors, or upper office money-wasters.

Of course. The government said make cuts, so it is management who will decide where the cuts are and they won't cut themselves.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Burick
Veteran Member

Postby Burick » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:35 pm

CBC has picked this up. It was on Power and Politics and CBC Newsworld yesterday. All about the increased border wait times to come...

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:52 pm

The public should worry less about the increased border wait times and more about the decreased enforcement.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:27 pm

Punisher-One wrote:Same here. It is hardest hit with staffing for us. The term "skeleton crew" could describe it.

I can see the work piling up already.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

ksigmark
Rookie Member

Postby ksigmark » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
ksigmark wrote:The budget cuts are hitting hard, especially in terms of Maintenance. I don't really want to get into details publicly, but it's bad, really bad.

Same here. It is hardest hit with staffing for us. The term "skeleton crew" could describe it.

Ref staffing, I hear ya, cuts to training budgets / extras mean this job is getting very repetitive. Out west where I am it's a pretty tough sell to keep a guy in the Army doing repetitive manual labourm away from home, when he can go make over double on a rig doing repetitive manual labour, away from home. 1 CMBGs release rate is testament to which side in winning.
RIP Cpl Mike Starker 6 May 2008